"We can't shoot" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"We can't shoot"

Reaction Score
Point taken. However, being pissed-off doesn't make you a better shooter, but confidence does. I just think it's the one area that is somewhat delicate, similar to putting in golf.
It’s up to the player to improve their shooting, not the coach. And by the way, missing 2 foot put backs and layups has nothing to do with shooting. That’s all grit and determination. You can’t be soft playing down on the blocks. UConn was extremely soft against Arizona. That’s all on the player not the coach

Reaction Score
in related matter, i wonder if anyone is aware of the staff's philosophy RE: adjusting players' shooting mechanics? certainly we've had some past players who clearly needed it but stayed the same.

i assume they wouldn't want adjustments midseason, but do they ever get involved at all? are any of them actually good at coaching shooting -- i wouldn't assume they don't have any great expertise.

or do they leave it to the kids themselves to figure out?

i'm sure shooting instruction is kind of a specialty; can they/should they bring in a guru to help with this in the preseason?:rolleyes:

i've been surprised to hear some of our wnba kids comment that they learned how to improve their shooting after leaving storrs.
Yeah, it’s so shocking that they would actually be better as a professional! What is wrong with Geno? If he can’t coach his players up to where their pro career is a long slow decline then I really don’t see why we’re paying him all that money!:rolleyes: I kid.

Reaction Score
It’s up to the player to improve their shooting, not the coach. And by the way, missing 2 foot put backs and layups has nothing to do with shooting. That’s all grit and determination. You can’t be soft playing down on the blocks. UConn was extremely soft against Arizona. That’s all on the player not the coach
Uh, no, it's not "all grit and determination." That implies that the player "doesn't want it enough." I'd say it's mostly psychological, with anxiety and a lack of confidence being at the root of the problem. Coaches are responsible for improvement in the fundamental skills, so it's not entirely on the player or coach.

Reaction Score
Geno's not missing 5 out of 20 layups. Has nothing to do with what he says. He does that at the beginning of the year. Builds them up as they get closer to the NC, although he seemed to be more critical of this year's team, even later in the year.

Reaction Score
As the saying goes,”victory has a thousand fathers, defeat is an orphan”. Pointing fingers serves no purpose. At the beginning of the year making the FF was as large a bite of success that could be imagined. Arizona had two things that we don’t; a shutdown defender and an unstoppable scorer. Having the newbie chip on their shoulder didn’t hurt either. Learning is always painful.

Reaction Score
Enough of that already. We need to stop bringing this up. It is a thing of the past. The big thing now is that UConn has lost 4 consecutive semi-finals. Sure, many teams would love to get to one semi-final. However, rival coaches can tell recruits that going to UConn won't get you a NC but will get you to the FF. Come to our school and you can win a NC. Today's players, except for those who consider UConn their dream team, don't care about what happened in 2016. Soon, they are going to have to win another NC to keep recruits wanting to come. At least, that is what I believe.
Stanford hadn’t won a NC in more than 5 YEARS! Did that hamper them? Did Tara get fired? Is she a bad coach and her program in shambles? Just stop it.

Reaction Score
Geno's words earlier in the season. Telling a team they can't shoot is really going to come back and haunt you. And it did.
Tell them they're rusty, in a slump, etc. Give them a goal. Give them hope. Words matter, coach.
Really? was this supposed to be taken seriously

Reaction Score
A great coach can not win with terrible players, AND a terrible coach can win with great players. The best coaches are the best recruiters.
There are a lot of factors that go into recruiting.

Reaction Score
Stanford hadn’t won a NC in more than 5 YEARS! Did that hamper them? Did Tara get fired? Is she a bad coach and her program in shambles? Just stop it.
Stanford is an elite program, Tara is the winningest coach in the game and they hadn't won in 29 yrs!! As long as Geno is the coach UConn will be the premier program.
Those with a CLUE and a knowledge of WCBB know that UConn is on the verge of another dominant run with SoCarolina the only team to impeded them.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Enough of that already. We need to stop bringing this up. It is a thing of the past. The big thing now is that UConn has lost 4 consecutive semi-finals. Sure, many teams would love to get to one semi-final. However, rival coaches can tell recruits that going to UConn won't get you a NC but will get you to the FF. Come to our school and you can win a NC. Today's players, except for those who consider UConn their dream team, don't care about what happened in 2016. Soon, they are going to have to win another NC to keep recruits wanting to come. At least, that is what I believe.
How many other coaches can use the "we've won a NC, so come here" speech based upon the last decade? I am guessing less than a handful. So not too many other coaches can back that promise up, can they?

Reaction Score
I’d be willing to bet that if you could somehow record all recruits statements of what they want to accomplish in their college career, getting to the Final Four would be right up at the top. That’s because they realize that in order to win the championship, you must first get to the Final Four! We’ve been to 21 FFs yet only have 11 titles. I think recruits are surely intelligent enough to know that you are more likely to win a championship at a school that virtually always is in the FF than at a school that only goes occasionally. As long as Geno is coach, the only trouble he will have with recruiting is finding the shrinking number of kids that fit his and CD’s standards. I think most of the kids that Geno recruits would go home and have a good laugh with their parents if a coach said that. I seriously doubt any coach would even say something so clearly ridiculous as the response would almost certainly be, “uh, how many championships do you have at this school, coach?” All I can say is that any kid that swallowed that line of reasoning is probably not meant for UConn anyway.

Reaction Score
Actually, Stanford hadn’t won a championship in 29 years! I believe they last won one in 92.

Reaction Score
Actually, Stanford hadn’t won a championship in 29 years! I believe they last won one in 92.
Exactly. That was my point. So many people here think it’s easy and that the sky is falling when it doesn’t happen. These are kids playing a game; not life and death.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
These are the posts someone makes when they miss boot camp. ????

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Exactly. That was my point. So many people here think it’s easy and that the sky is falling when it doesn’t happen. These are kids playing a game; not life and death.
I have not read anywhere on this board where someone posted that it is life or death. You stop it. My main point is it is time to stop bringing up the 11 NC. WBB has moved on. UConn fans should too. Start thinking about future ones.

Reaction Score
Makes me wonder how many of you actually watched and listened to the Geno A. show on SNY.....He knows what he is doing and how to build confidence in players.

Reaction Score
A great coach can not win with terrible players, AND a terrible coach can win with great players. The best coaches are the best recruiters.
Well except maybe Brenda

Reaction Score
I think the inability to finish around the rim can be improved with coaching and competition. If you have no other 6'4 or 5 players to practice or compete with it is hard to get the same simulation of that situation. The Big East Centers certainly don't give Liv that simulation. With DeBerry coming in and Paith another year older the everyday practice might help. Possibly get a tall male practice player to go against daily will help. Liv I think will help us win an NC next year along with improvement from others.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if there is any shooting coach in college. And they have in NBA/WNBA.
Well UConn needs to get someone to work with Liv and Aubrey if Aubrey could shoot she’d be a devastating player right now she’s limited and Liv with the high over her head form it’s just so inconsistent. A little surprised that this hasn’t been addressed before her senior year.

Reaction Score
Not always the case Maryland continues to get good recruiting classes and get knocked out early in the tournament and it’s a bit of a joke that she got coach of the year that could easily have gone to numerous other coaches

Reaction Score
I don’t agree that it’s just up to the player to improve their shooting most top high school recruits get coached up at home which may not be the best coaching. The reason you come to UConn is to be coached by the best and it should be a commitment by coach and Player to improve their shooting. To ask a 19-year-old to do that on their own is unrealistic. They’ve been shooting that way since they were little kids all the way through AAU and high school. I’m sure it’s a very difficult thing to change your shot but with the help of a premium coach it can be done. I agree that at least one player is relatively soft under the basket I believe the other is just young and it’s never been said that she is soft

Reaction Score
I'm saying this because of the last loss. Before this last loss, UConn got commitments from some top recruits. Let's see what happens from here on out. It may hinder recruiting and it may not. The line UConn used to have of "come to UConn and win NC" is no longer necessarily true. That is one of the big reasons recruits choose UConn. I was not talking about before but now, after this last loss. With other teams now getting top recruits it won't be as easy for UConn to win NC as often as some fans think. However, my main point was that UConn fans need to stop bringing up the 11 NC. That is in the past. This message is also for you, slepers.
The Yankees haven’t won a World Series since 2009, yet they still have no problem signing Latin American teenagers for less money to play for them. Mystique fades away very slowly.

Reaction Score

I remember saying this same thing back on the men's board a few years back, during the later stages of Kevin Ollie's coaching run. OMG. The fellas lost their minds! I agree with you. It is on the players to improve their shooting and not the coach.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
On Critics
“ We have to keep in mind one thing. Most critics don’t do anything. They can’t create. So what they do is criticize. They dump on things. They did the same thing to Dizzy Gillespie and Charles Parker … John Coltrane. I’ve always figured that critics were probably reincarnations of the mob that crucified Christ.”
Pete Cosey, Electric Mud Guitarist

Reaction Score
I have not read anywhere on this board where someone posted that it is life or death. You stop it. My main point is it is time to stop bringing up the 11 NC. WBB has moved on. UConn fans should too. Start thinking about future ones.
Geno has, are you aware of the next two recruiting classes? to join a freshman laden team that just went to the FF. That is how you win not just one NC but multiple. Geno already has replacements for his three seniors and they will be an upgrade

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom