We are thin at RB | The Boneyard

We are thin at RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For a team that wants to be a power football team, we have 4 RBs and 1 FB on scholarship for a total of 5. That doesn't seem to be enough. Plus, we did not bring in a RB in last year's recruiting class and we don't have any committed for next year with Max graduating. Clax did not make the road trip to Cincinnati.

When Edsall was coach, UConn typically had 8 RBs and FBs on scholarship. For a running team, this number of scholarship RBs seems appropriate.

I think Diaco likes to use TEs as pseudo FBs, so I understand the lack of FBs on the roster, but UConn needs more playmakers on offense. I hope Diaco brings in 2 RBs in this recruiting class.

Reaction Score
I am absolutely dumbfounded as to why we haven't been able to bring in quality RBs (noting Newsome as an exception) after having a string of such terrific backs.

That the stupid twins rode McCoombs as much as they did for three straight seasons was the absolute definition of insanity and laziness. I agree, Diaco needs to get a couple of backs in this class and a 5th year transfer or JUCO might not be a bad idea. RonJon may come back to be something, but the only thing he has shown this season is a reluctance to commit to a hole.

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I get really jealous watching these teams spread the field with the run 'n shoot type offenses we see with the Baylors and Memphis's of the world. Of course at this point we struggle to get a play from the sidelines to the huddle and I wouldn't even want to see the disaster of trying to get plays in a hurry-up offense.

Reaction Score
Why hasn't Mariner gotten some carries? Beginning of last year he was a starter. Like his size and speed, seems tough runner; better choice than RJ at this point re lets see what he's got for a couple of series.

Reaction Score
Why hasn't Mariner gotten some carries? Beginning of last year he was a starter. Like his size and speed, seems tough runner; better choice than RJ at this point re lets see what he's got for a couple of series.
I always liked Marriner a bunch.. was looking forward to seeing him contribute to this team, as a RB.. not a KOR man, or catching the ball out of the backfield most of the time, or a blocking RB, but as a true RB... His HS production didn't translate to what we're trying to do here... and with the coaching change, put this kid in an unfortunate spot... IMO, wouldn't surprise me one bit if he moved on. I really wouldn't blame him... I think he's better than what we've seen of him... Doesn't seem to be a good fit for either side now...

Which probably means we should probably get 2 RBs in this class.. We need the depth badly...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FartMan69 said:
I have to admit that I get really jealous watching these teams spread the field with the run 'n shoot type offenses we see with the Baylors and Memphis's of the world. Of course at this point we struggle to get a play from the sidelines to the huddle and I wouldn't even want to see the disaster of trying to get plays in a hurry-up offense.

Need receivers that can get open and get to the spot on time and an accurate QB that can deliver the ball to said spot on time with enough confidence that the receiver will be there before any defenders. Some blocking up front doesn't hurt either.

It's a scheme that has to be taught with built in adjustments to routes based on the defense that both receiver and QB need to recognize and execute in a tight window of time and space.

Reaction Score
One thing I find troubling about Diaco, is not giving others more of a chance when the guys ahead on the depth chart are simply not producing. Johnson has shown very little this year to continue to be option 1b in the running game. If nothing else I would love to see what Mariner could do behing a line that is improved from last year, and get 7-8, carries one game.

Reaction Score
IMO we look a lot stronger at WR right now than RB... not even close... which is weird for UCONN football (FBS level)

Look at the WR depth. It is thin as well: 8 scholarship WRs with 1 taking a break from football, so down to 7. Four are true freshmen. We do have 5 walk-on WRs on the team.

If you combine WR and RB, UConn has only 12 players on scholarship. Not only does this impact your playmakers on offense, but it negatively impacts your special teams.

Reaction Score
RB is a sore one.

Edsall, with less to offer, could show talent 4 deep. It was hard for a Matthew Lawrence to find his way on the field; then, he goes to UMass and gains a bunch. Lose Caulley for the season, we have Brockington and Bellamy.

This is about Roster Management. And, I think Diaco did not have a good plan coming in (coming from a ND to a lesser tier) and he hasn't acted fast to learn. Scary. That threesome of UC was impressive. And, they all seemed to just step in & go. They never took a false step like Ron Johnson seems to get into a rut doing; yet, that also is a function of a OLine that can be productive giving opportunities.

Reaction Score
FWIW, Mariner was hurt in the USF game and hasn't been available since. But that doesn't change the fact that his role prior to being hurt was extremely limited.

Reaction Score
Husky68 said:

I know I seem like I'm down on him but he ran for 110 yards last year and 5 this year. He might be good but we have no proof of that.

Reaction Score
I'd like us to see another RB added ot this class, but we have 4 RBs. You know what happens to the 5th guy - he inevitably leaves. With all the problems we have I don't see the lack of a 5th RB as making the top 5

Reaction Score
I'd like us to see another RB added ot this class, but we have 4 RBs. You know what happens to the 5th guy - he inevitably leaves. With all the problems we have I don't see the lack of a 5th RB as making the top 5

For next year, UConn will have 2 JRs and one JR RB or 3 total RBs on scholarship. Clax is a R-JR, so it's possible he may not be back especially since UConn seems to use TEs instead of FBs.

UConn needs to bring in at least 2 RBs in this class.

Reaction Score
He let Macomb's go with a year of eligibility before last year also Joe Williams with two. He moved McAllister to DB. (He had 4 freshman/rs freshmen rbs last year). He was using Myers as a H-Back.

Reaction Score
I never want to see us overload a position in any recruiting year, and 2 is overload IMO. If we bring in 1 per year and keep 3-4 playing regularly, we will be fine. For the record, if we don't start recruiting some OL and develop them further, you could have 10 RBs on the team and it wouldn't matter.

Reaction Score
Its things like this that show Diaco's inexperience is really staring to be exposed as time passes. I have to be honest. His stock has fallen dramatically in my book. By the end of next season there has to be a fish or cut-bait decision, and I'm sincerely hoping things start coming together for him and the team. He does have some very nice recruits coming in that are big and athletic and that is very encouraging, but I wonder if he is one these guys that needs excellent recruits to cover other deficiencies. At some point, it cant be about next year and new recruits. That time has passed in UConn's program clock. We need a coach that can work with what he's got and get them to overachieve through schemes, coaching them up and execution. Here's to hoping BD gets this team improved over the remainder of the season.

Reaction Score
I never want to see us overload a position in any recruiting year, and 2 is overload IMO. If we bring in 1 per year and keep 3-4 playing regularly, we will be fine. For the record, if we don't start recruiting some OL and develop them further, you could have 10 RBs on the team and it wouldn't matter.

Well, if you look at RB recruiting under Edsall (and Terry Richardson), we did bring in 2 per year most years. You can debate what position each player was recruited for, but they were either recruited at RB/FB or played RB/FB at UConn.

2002: Cornell Brockington and Terry Caulley
2003: Matt Lawrence and Sam Dorvill
2004: Lou Allen, Larry Taylor
2005: Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Anthony Barksdale
2006: Anthony Davis, Robert McClain (moved to DB)
2007: Robby Frey, Kelmetrus Wylie, Anthony Sherman
2008: Jordan Todman
2009: Martin Hyppolite
2010: Lyle McCombs, DJ Shoemate (USC transfer)

Edsall ran a similar offense as Diaco is running, and he typically recruited 2 RBs per year and carried 8 on the roster. We potentially only 3 RBs on the roster next year, UConn needs at least 2 RBs in this recruiting cycle.

Reaction Score
I don't see why Diaco doesn't plug Brice McAllister in at RB, he has the size and speed. He was a better RB in high school than DB. I didn't understand why he was switched to DB. If Brice gets switched to his natural position we could have Newsome, Johnson, and Brice at RB next year.

Reaction Score
Well, if you look at RB recruiting under Edsall (and Terry Richardson), we did bring in 2 per year most years. You can debate what position each player was recruited for, but they were either recruited at RB/FB or played RB/FB at UConn.

2002: Cornell Brockington and Terry Caulley
2003: Matt Lawrence and Sam Dorvill
2004: Lou Allen, Larry Taylor
2005: Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Anthony Barksdale
2006: Anthony Davis, Robert McClain (moved to DB)
2007: Robby Frey, Kelmetrus Wylie, Anthony Sherman
2008: Jordan Todman
2009: Martin Hyppolite
2010: Lyle McCombs, DJ Shoemate (USC transfer)

Edsall ran a similar offense as Diaco is running, and he typically recruited 2 RBs per year and carried 8 on the roster. We potentially only 3 RBs on the roster next year, UConn needs at least 2 RBs in this recruiting cycle.

However ... you included several clear FBs (Sherman, Davis, Barksdale, Allen (even), Dorvill). Diaco plugged multiple guys in 2/2015 at TE; and he is using that as an HBack.

Whatever he thought he had, UConn cannot simply use Newsome this year (and McCombs a few years ago). Dumb.

Reaction Score
I agree that with regression of RJ and frankly Clax as well we really don't have enough quality running backs on this team. In watching him last year I thought Marriner was the worst running back on the team in terms of finding holes. Of course his sampling in games is very small so from a fan's perspective its hard to really judge him. On the positive side, he always seem to run very hard when he had a chance. I certainly would like to see him get a few carries and see if he can be an improvement over RJ. Maybe behind our somewhat improve O-line Marriner's hard running style will lead to a couple big runs. ( Frankly he can't do any worse than what we have seen this year from RJ)

Reaction Score
FWIW, Mariner was hurt in the USF game and hasn't been available since. But that doesn't change the fact that his role prior to being hurt was extremely limited.
my point exactly... a kid that's been so productive and relied upon in his playing career reduced to probably a shell of himself.. talk about humbling..

Reaction Score
my point exactly... a kid that's been so productive and relied upon in his playing career reduced to probably a shell of himself.. talk about humbling..

When was Marriner productive and relied upon?

Reaction Score
I don't see why Diaco doesn't plug Brice McAllister in at RB, he has the size and speed.

I agree. Brice's Dad says he's a great running back---I know, I know. But wouldn't it be strange if Brice makes it as a running back in the NFL and we all look back and say WTF. That's what happened with Nick Williams , who's slot receiving skills were wasted here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree. Brice's Dad says he's a great running back---I know, I know. But wouldn't it be strange if Brice makes it as a running back in the NFL and we all look back and say WTF. That's what happened with Nick Williams , who's slot receiving skills were wasted here.
The unfortunate thing for Nick was he wasn't a prototype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom