We are SOFT | The Boneyard

We are SOFT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don’t think I’ve ever heard a UConn team so ridiculed for being soft. At both ends of the floor. It felt emasculating even to be a fan.

Bob Hurley, Sr. was spot on about that from the jump, and it hasn’t gotten any better. Actually seems to have gotten worse somehow. Josh is certainly a big part of that, but we were soft at both ends of the floor for almost the entire game today.

I have no idea how or when we can expect that to change, but it’s disheartening to be embarrassed like that and have it be the talking point for the entire game, and now apparently “the book” on us.

Danny better get busy writing a different script.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
yes sir, it's going to be a long season. I think a winning record this year will be the most we can hope for and that's a stretch from what I've seen so far. Very soft :(

Reaction Score

Better get busy doing something. Showing up for your first two conference games completely unprepared to play . . . the coach has to wear some of that. It's unclear to me what exactly they're trying to do out there the last few games. They look like a completely different team than they did a month ago, and I think it's supposed to go in the other direction.

Reaction Score
Bouk is dynamic, but him not going for that 50/50 ball at the end kinda stinks. The rest of the team runs offense to run offense, not to put pressure on the D with a real chance of making something happen. We need a talent infusion fast.

and vital’s shot selection is putrid

Reaction Score
I don’t think I’ve ever heard a UConn team so ridiculed for being soft. At both ends of the floor. It felt emasculating even to be a fan.

Bob Hurley, Sr. was spot on about that from the jump, and it hasn’t gotten any better. Actually seems to have gotten worse somehow. Josh is certainly a big part of that, but we were soft at both ends of the floor for almost the entire game today.

I have no idea how or when we can expect that to change, but it’s disheartening to be embarrassed like that and have it be the talking point for the entire game, and now apparently “the book” on us.

Bob Hurley Sr. knew it from day 1, he should've stressed to Dan what needed to be done from day one. Hurley has to do it now.

Reaction Score
Glad I decided to go to a brewery, get a healthy buzz, and watch people look like fools playing virtual reality, than watching the tom foolery that apparently occured during this game

Reaction Score
Bob Hurley Sr. knew it from day 1, he should've stressed to Dan what needed to be done from day one. Hurley has to do it now.

Do you think he should have run off the soft holdovers?

Reaction Score

Danny might be writing his cover letter explaining what happened in his latest career move.

Reaction Score
I guess our talent isn't as good as South Florida's either.

Not sure why this guy get such a pass from many of you. Not winning big with guys you didn't recruit is understandable, to a point. Looking completely unprepared or coached has nothing to do with players. A good coach gets the best out of the players he or she has, period. If their best isn't enough to win, fine. But not even able to compete. Bullchips!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bouk is dynamic, but him not going for that 50/50 ball at the end kinda stinks.
He was far from our biggest problem today, but he was very poor defensively for most of the game.

Reaction Score
I guess our talent isn't as good as South Florida's either.

Not sure why this guy get such a pass from many of you. Not winning big with guys you didn't recruit is understandable, to a point. Looking completely unprepared or coached has nothing to do with players. A good coach gets the best out of the players he or she has, period. If their best isn't enough to win, fine. But not even able to compete. Bullchips!
People on the boneyard keep bringing up “talent” in terms of recruiting as if that’s the only thing that matters. I don’t care what they’re rankings were in high school.

Toughness and a Killer Mentality matters just as much if not even more so. Those things don’t always show in high school rankings.

Ollie recruited mostly soft players. It’s up to Hurley to get guys with a killer mentality the way JC did.

Ppl on here putting too much stock in rankings and saying we have talent. None of the talent matters if you are not tougher than the man across from you. Period.

Reaction Score
244A21F6-4EAD-469E-96CE-1286CFA3567B.jpeg

Reaction Score
Room temperatures butter , ice cream dispensed from a machine, elderly mens erections , and this team so far this year.

Reaction Score
He should have made the team his own from the start. He's far from an offensive wiz, he wins games on getting tough kids who can play the gritty style he wants to play. These kids are nice kids but it's the softest group we've had in 35 years. Some fans say you can't get rid of guys but you have to especially if your style isn't adaptable. There is nothing wrong with telling kids I'll find a better fit for you continuing your playing career.

Reaction Score
How is Hurley supposed to change the fact that the majority of these guys were born “soft” ? We are getting manhandled in every loss.

I personally don’t think there is much Hurley can do here. It’s not like he isn’t trying to instill toughness on these guys. They just aren’t cut that way.

The biggest mistake Hurley has made is not getting rid of them early on. It sucks but it’s true. I think most here just don’t want to admit that

Reaction Score
Hindsight is 20/20 but my answer is yes, he should have. And I’m sure he’s realized that already. The bad part now is he has to make the most of what he has. He’s trying to toughen up guys that refuse to play with a killer mentality. They blatantly refuse. They don’t have it in them. It’s a job that I don’t think anyone can really do. At the end of the day people are gonna be who they are deep down. Especially when faced with adversity

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How is Hurley supposed to change the fact that the majority of these guys were born “soft” ? We are getting manhandled in every loss.

I personally don’t think there is much Hurley can do here. It’s not like he isn’t trying to instill toughness on these guys. They just aren’t cut that way.

The biggest mistake Hurley has made is not getting rid of them early on. It sucks but it’s true. I think most here just don’t want to admit that
Gilbert and Vital may have many flaws, but toughness wasn’t one of them. They are not big, but they were never soft.

Defense is 99% effort and there is no excuse for not playing defense imo. Not finishing at the rim is another problem. Both can be instilled.

Josh won most improved player in the conference last season, right? What happened there?

I don’t have the answers, but I’m not paid to. As a fan, I have a lot more questions than I thought I did a few weeks ago. I was apoplectic after the St. Joe’s loss, but I was buoyed by a lot of what I saw after that. Now I am just getting numb.

Reaction Score
Now I am just getting numb.

I'd like to retract my post made after the Xavier game where I said that my general feeling of apathy about tuning into games was gone and for the first time in years UConn basketball was fun to watch again. Today - and I couldn't stomach more than maybe 10 minutes of game action - could have been a replay of a game from 2 seasons ago.

Reaction Score

I think most of us wouldn’t be as pissed if we were loosing close games. It’s really not even competitive.

Let’s say your point on Hurley is true. Isn’t that still the head coaches fault?

Reaction Score
I'd like to retract my post made after the Xavier game where I said that my general feeling of apathy about tuning into games was gone and for the first time in years UConn basketball was fun to watch again. Today - and I couldn't stomach more than maybe 10 minutes of game action - could have been a replay of a game from 2 seasons ago.
I'm a masochist and watch all of it. I'm not sure I can do that anymore, I seriously think it takes a toll on my health.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom