We are in trouble until we get a Point Guard | The Boneyard

We are in trouble until we get a Point Guard

Reaction Score
We need a true point guard to lead them and without Gilbert we are in big trouble. There is no leader or anyone that can get them into their offense.

Adams is not that guy he’s not making anyone else better

The team can’t run the offense because Adams, Anderson, and Vital can’t get them into their offense against ball pressure. Every possession they try starting their offense almost from half court so of course people can’t get open off the ball specially trying to make long entry passes to the wings or bigs. Then when they do get the entry pass they get pushed out past the three point line and there is nothing they can do but kick it back out. Then we have to scramble to get a shot up before the end of the shot clock. It’s the same thing we did to teams when we won our last two championships.

The only person some what capible is Adams but only in pick and roll situations.

Teams are just going to keep doubling and overloading on Adams during pick and rolls the rest of the season unless we get Gilbert back it’s going to be ugly the rest of the year on offense.

When they actually do have a decent possession they miss the wide open shot or they travel. Somebody needs to step up and start making shots.

Its not hard to play defense when you only have two threats on the court with Adams and Larrier.

It’s also a whole lot easier to play defense when you’re making shots.

Hopefully Gilbert either comes back or he has the surgery soon so he has longer to get himself ready for next year.

I’m also hoping the point guard coming in is the leader and competitor he is said to be.

It’s frustrating but I think there is some pieces but without Gilbert we have no true leader in the floor.

I’m not saying we would be blowing teams out but we are definitely better with him because he has the ability to make others around him better.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This team begs for a point guard. I'm hoping that Gilbert gets healthy fast and that Akinjo is everything he seems to be next year. That's pretty much the only way this thing gets fixed, barring a successful shift of Jalen to the PG spot...

Reaction Score
I know he’s on HS but yhe tapes of Akinjo are a distributing machine. The catch is, who’s he passong to?

Reaction Score
We need several kids who can shoot. Gilbert didn’t look like that type in his spot duty this year. And yes kids who can handle the ball and run an offense should one ever be developed would be a plus too.

Reaction Score
We have that PG. While not a polished product, Adams has proven in the past he can be a distributor and scorer. Waiting for Gilbert is folly. 4th guard Anderson as a PG cannot score or distribute. Vital does not possess PG skills. Time to get over Adams as a SG and give this team a chance.

Reaction Score
What I am hearing is that Gilbert, a second year player, is our only true point guard. So, why didn't our staff bring in another true point guard to back up our one true point guard who also happens to be frequently injured?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What I am hearing is that Gilbert, a second year player, is our only true point guard. So, why didn't our staff bring in another true point guard to back up our one true point guard who also happens to be frequently injured?
We did, he plays for Providence.

Reaction Score
We did. And a good one. MAL. But Ollie for whatever reason could not keep him after he decided to get rid of Glen Miller.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As important as a need for a PG to run the offense, UConn also needs a guard who can be a defensive stopper. Every great UConn team has a guard who can decimate the opponents offense.

Not this team.

Opponents can run their offense with impinity against perimeter D.

Reaction Score
A point guard, 2-3 three point shooters and a skilled 5 would help. I'm not asking for a lot.

Reaction Score
Exactly Not only is Adams a pg, but he’s a significantly better player at that position. Ollie needs to actually play him there, instead of having Anderson or Vital take turns there.

We gotta let Adams grow in the position.

Reaction Score
A point guard, 2-3 three point shooters and a skilled 5 would help. I'm not asking for a lot.
If we only had those, and a coach who would teach them offense and defense, come up with good game plans, prepare them to play, and motivate them we'd have a pretty good program. it really isn't much to ask for.

Reaction Score
We did but he left for Providence.

Reaction Score
We have more problems than missing a point guard. We need shooters and actual bigs that can rebound and score occasionally inside and while playing tough d. This team is missing everything for the most part.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You guys are nuts. Complaints about not having a PG when are have 3 (and 1 on IR). What we don't have is anyone who can shoot, or to tell Larrier that defense is part of the game too. Him leaving 3 or shooters open is a huge problem masked by the fact that no one can shoot.

We need better players at every position.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
We need a true center as well. We have no options down low and any team with a typically sized front court is going to kill us. We have a whole bunch of 4s but no real 5s. Our de facto centers get punished against almost every team and it's a big part of why our opponents get so many open looks from 3.

Reaction Score
We need a true point guard to lead them and without Gilbert we are in big trouble. There is no leader or anyone that can get them into their offense.

Adams is not that guy he’s not making anyone else better

The team can’t run the offense because Adams, Anderson, and Vital can’t get them into their offense against ball pressure. Every possession they try starting their offense almost from half court so of course people can’t get open off the ball specially trying to make long entry passes to the wings or bigs. Then when they do get the entry pass they get pushed out past the three point line and there is nothing they can do but kick it back out. Then we have to scramble to get a shot up before the end of the shot clock. It’s the same thing we did to teams when we won our last two championships.

The only person some what capible is Adams but only in pick and roll situations.

Teams are just going to keep doubling and overloading on Adams during pick and rolls the rest of the season unless we get Gilbert back it’s going to be ugly the rest of the year on offense.

When they actually do have a decent possession they miss the wide open shot or they travel. Somebody needs to step up and start making shots.

Its not hard to play defense when you only have two threats on the court with Adams and Larrier.

It’s also a whole lot easier to play defense when you’re making shots.

Hopefully Gilbert either comes back or he has the surgery soon so he has longer to get himself ready for next year.

I’m also hoping the point guard coming in is the leader and competitor he is said to be.

It’s frustrating but I think there is some pieces but without Gilbert we have no true leader in the floor.

I’m not saying we would be blowing teams out but we are definitely better with him because he has the ability to make others around him better.
Forget being in trouble until we get a point guard. We are in much more trouble until we get a new Coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom