WCBB Title History Review | The Boneyard

WCBB Title History Review

Which conference has had the most champions in the 38 years (different teams)?

• SEC

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Big East

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • ACC

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • PAC12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Big12

• Big10

• Total voters

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To warm us up for the 2019-2020 Season, I thought I would do a review of the past 38 years of NCAA titles and Final Four participants by the decades, reviewing past trends, assessing the current situation.

Of the 38 Titles starting in 1982, there have only been 15 Schools who have won titles. 7 Schools have been repeat winners and 8 schools have won the title only once. I did a review by decade, with a spread sheet showing the conference success by the current configuration of the conference at that time by number of titles and runner up/Final Four appearances. With all the conference affiliations changing over the years, there have been only two schools who have won NCAA Titles in 2 different conferences-UConn and ND.
Due to the volume of data and the need for it to be read easily by the forum, I have elected to the data into 4 posts within the thread 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, 2010's to allow comments and discussion to occur on each grouping that all the fans can enjoy and relive memories and give comments on to inform others.

In the 1980's, with the full might of Title IX finally taking affect and the NCAA sanctioning championships, we started our journey.
View attachment 46123

With 8 years of Tournaments '82-89, we had 32 FF participants (the 8 & 24). The beginning stages were charted with Cheney St, Old Dominion, Western Kentucky, Northeast Louisiana and the reason "Other" was second with 9 total appearances in the 80's! If you add in Louisiana Tech and their 6 appearances, the "Other" category dominated the 80's with 15 of the 32 spots or 47%. This decade saw the start of the great Tennessee Lady Vol program (and the start of their entitlement!). It also started the dominance of the SEC as a WCBB power despite the fact only 2 different teams have only ever won titles-Tenn and SC. In the 80's, the P5 schools won 5 titles and had 17 of 32 FF slots (53%).

The answer to the Poll Question is-see the last post of the 2010's!

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Continuing along the WCBB Title History review, we have the 1990’s and the start of the world which most of us care about. The 90’s saw the start of 2 great programs-Stanford/UConn; 2 titles each (and the start of our entitlement!), the continued dominance of one-Tennessee 4 more titles and the demise of 2 others-Louisiana Tech and Old Dominion (their last appearance in FF’s). The SEC continued is presence with 29% participation in all Final Fours and a new conference started to muscle its way into the discussion-Big East. The P5 won 9 of the 10 titles and 29 of 40 FF spots (72.5%).

The 1995 season is well documented on this forum and was such a magical season to put WCBB on the map and gave the impetus for the launch of the WNBA. Without the great rivalry of Tennessee (the Evil Empire) and UConn (the Force), it is highly doubtful WCBB would be where it is today. Much of that has to do with ESPN promoting the local school due to ease of access and instant sound bite with Geno. Those that often bemoan that ESPN does not like UConn are delusional-They love us and for what they did in the 90’s, we in turn should love them. On to the aughts-‘00’s…

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
The 2000’s saw the start of the UConn dominance that we have come to know along with some of the games most iconic players-Taurasi, Bird, Moore, Charles, Parker to name a few. UConn owned the decade with 5 titles and with ND’s 1st title, the 6 titles won by the Big East owned the decade unlike any conference before or since. (cue those were the days by Mary Hopkins!). Once again, the SEC led the way with 12 teams appearing in the FF’s or 30% of all opportunities however, this would also be both the last of Tennessee’s titles and the last time the SEC dominated as the next decade saw better efforts from the other conferences. The 2000’s saw the P5 win 4 titles and participate in 70% of FF slots (28/40).

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
2010’s brought in the massive P5 “Gold Rush” for Football $’s and massive illogical conference divisions, tons of travel, and many discussions on how to gain tournament attendance! It also brought 5 more titles for the Huskies of UConn making 11 and blowing by the 8 owned by Tennessee. The decade also brought forth a new conference power with the PAC12 and the decimation of another-the Big East. The P5 won 5 titles. Before the breakup, the Big East owned this tournament with 8 of the 16 slots being their schools in the years 2010-2013.

The Conference with the most different champions is the BIG12 with 4-Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor and Texas A&M.

The conference with the most schools qualifying for the FINAL FOURS is the SEC with 9 separate schools doing it. Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Auburn, Alabama and LSU.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
In recap, for the total of 38 years, 152 Final Four spots, the SEC led the way with 26% of the participation however the 2010’s saw their level drop precipitously to 4 of the 40! PAC12 trend seems to be up especially for this year with 3 top schools and 3 strong followers. The chart shows how dominant the Big East became with 4 schools-UConn, ND, Louisville and Rutgers as it place second on the participation with 15%. Louisiana Tech was impressive with 9 FF’s. If any state should be bemoaning it’s demise, it should be Louisiana as LaTech, LSU and NE Louisiana all were formidable at one time.

I hope you enjoyed this primer!

Reaction Score
2010’s brought in the massive P5 “Gold Rush” for Football $’s and massive illogical conference divisions, tons of travel, and many discussions on how to gain tournament attendance! It also brought 5 more titles for the Huskies of UConn making 11 and blowing by the 8 owned by Tennessee. The decade also brought forth a new conference power with the PAC12 and the decimation of another-the Big East. The P5 won 5 titles. Before the breakup, the Big East owned this tournament with 8 of the 16 slots being their schools in the years 2010-2013.

View attachment 46151

The Conference with the most different champions is the BIG12 with 4-Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor and Texas A&M.

The conference with the most schools qualifying for the FINAL FOURS is the SEC with 9 separate schools doing it. Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Auburn, Alabama and LSU.
Superb effort! Thanks for posting this.

I'm a little confused, though. Hasn't Uconn been in the Final Four every year of the AAC's existence even when we didn't win the title? And, therefore, shouldn't the AAC have more Final Fours than Titles?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The answer to the Poll Question is-see the last post of the 2010's!

If you mean the most DI women's basketball championships, then the answer is the AAC with 12 (pretty sure - 11 UCONN & 1 ND). Remember the AAC has been in existence since 1979 and UCONN is the last remaining founding college. The conference currently known as the Big East took the name, "Big East," but they are not the original conference. The current Big East was created in 2010.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Superb effort! Thanks for posting this.

I'm a little confused, though. Hasn't Uconn been in the Final Four every year of the AAC's existence even when we didn't win the title? And, therefore, shouldn't the AAC have more Final Fours than Titles?
Plus the 1 Championship is 4 appearances. Add the “Ch” col to the FF column.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
If you mean the most DI women's basketball championships, then the answer is the AAC with 12 (pretty sure - 11 UCONN & 1 ND). Remember the AAC has been in existence since 1979 and UCONN is the last remaining founding college. The conference currently known as the Big East took the name, "Big East," but they are not the original conference. The current Big East was created in 2010.
Not Championships; Champions (#of schools) and the AAC has 2 by your technically correct definition-UConn and ND.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
In my continued analysis in which I will evaluate conferences recent trends, this history does start to show the evolution of the game over its relatively short life. My own view is the PAC 12 will be the conference to watch as Stanford has elevated the play of Oregon, OSU, UCLA, Arizona, ASU and even Utah. I see down trends for Cal (who was sliding long before Lindsay just left) and the continued side of USC who really hasn’t been relevant since the 80’s so please spare me the USC history aspect. Heck LaTech has been more relevant!
For the 20’s look for the PAC12 to have the likelyhood on winning multiple championships over any other conference. Just my opinion :D

Reaction Score
Great Great job.

I think the roaring 20's (the 21st century version) will have multiple conferences winning titles. I think the PAC could lead the way with multiple great teams. The Big East (UConn especially if they get Fudd), ACC (Notre Dame if they get Fudd), Big 10 (Maryland if they can get Reese and Fudd), Big 12 (Baylor and great Texas recruiting) and SEC (South Carolina, MSST and the return of Tennessee) could have winners this decade if things go right for them.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
While at times, conferences can be competitive within the NCAAT, mostly it just a set of 2 teams, not a depth of 3,4 or more. This year with the PAC12., we have an opportunity to replicate the last year of the Big East in 2013 with ND, Louisville and UConn.
My point was other than the PAC12, no other conference offers that. The key is developing National prominence and the ACC have 2 in ND and Louisville but both need to rebuild, is NC Sate close? Or FSU, Miami, NC or even Duke? Not so sure with them. On the SEC, MSU needs to demonstrate it is now a national program and match SC in esteem. Who can be the 3rd team? Will KJH get the LV back to former glory?
The Big10 has Maryland and no one else really close for National prominence. I know people think Minn will get there hi that’s a few years of sustained excellence AND dominance away.
I don’t see the Big East getting 3 teams into a top 10 discussion annually from now until 2025/6 so we shall see.

Reaction Score
While at times, conferences can be competitive within the NCAAT, mostly it just a set of 2 teams, not a depth of 3,4 or more. This year with the PAC12., we have an opportunity to replicate the last year of the Big East in 2013 with ND, Louisville and UConn.
My point was other than the PAC12, no other conference offers that. The key is developing National prominence and the ACC have 2 in ND and Louisville but both need to rebuild, is NC Sate close? Or FSU, Miami, NC or even Duke? Not so sure with them. On the SEC, MSU needs to demonstrate it is now a national program and match SC in esteem. Who can be the 3rd team? Will KJH get the LV back to former glory?
The Big10 has Maryland and no one else really close for National prominence. I know people think Minn will get there hi that’s a few years of sustained excellence AND dominance away.
I don’t see the Big East getting 3 teams into a top 10 discussion annually from now until 2025/6 so we shall see.
OK. I see.
Tennessee has a great shot because of their great fan base. Eventually UNC and Duke will come back. NC State is on the cusp. With Sue Semrau, FSU will always be a factor.
As far as pure national championship potential, it's UConn, Stanford, Baylor, South Carolina, Louisville and Notre Dame in the first tier. Oregon need to prove it can do it after Ionescu. MSST you mentioned. Maryland need to prove it in the tournament, not just the regular season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom