Way Too Early 2017-18 rankings | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Way Too Early 2017-18 rankings

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Does anyone know our schedule yet for this coming season?

UConn usually releases its official schedule for the coming season sometime during the month of September. We've received reports that the 13 pre-confernce games have been scheduled. The dates and times of those games may still have to be worked out. Don't look for next season's schedule before then.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Everything that I've seen and heard about Batouly leads me to believe that she is a "blue collar" player like Tuck, maybe not quite as talented, but with a very similar skill set.
I'm not sure she has as accurate an outside shot (she was literally 0-1 in her freshman year at Kentucky) and think she may be physically stronger than Tuck. Maybe a morph of Tuck and Crockett, but right now I think she's more Wilnett Crockett than Morgan Tuck. Get a solid 3 point shot and we can revisit... :)

Reaction Score
So it seems by the information in this thread:

Teams that should be better in 2018
UConn
Ohio State
Tennessee
Texas
Duke
Oregon
Louisville
West Virginia

Teams that should still be formidable in 2018 but not better than this year
South Carolina
Notre Dame
Baylor
Mississippi State
Stanford
UCLA

Teams that will be weaker in 2018
Maryland
Florida State
Washington
Oregon State

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not sure she has as accurate an outside shot (she was literally 0-1 in her freshman year at Kentucky) and think she may be physically stronger than Tuck. Maybe a morph of Tuck and Crockett, but right now I think she's more Wilnett Crockett than Morgan Tuck. Get a solid 3 point shot and we can revisit... :)
Don't know about her accuracy from the arc but she has a nice face-up jumper from 15' and some nice inside moves around the basket.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

UConn
Ohio State
Tennessee
Texas
Duke
Oregon
Louisville
West Virginia

South Carolina
Notre Dame
Baylor
Mississippi State
Stanford
UCLA

Maryland
Florida State
Washington
Oregon State

UConn
Ohio State
Tennessee
Texas
Duke
Oregon
Louisville
West Virginia

South Carolina
Notre Dame
Baylor
Mississippi State
Stanford
UCLA

Maryland
Florida State
Washington
Oregon State
Generally agree although I would point out a couple of potential issues:
  • Duke loses both their starting BIGS. Not sure what they have behind them.
  • Muffet will always find a way, but ND's fortunes next year will depend a lot on how well Turner can come back from her knee injury.
  • Baylor loses backup forward Cave and 3 key G/W's (Davis, Jones & Prince), all double-digit scorers this season. Certainly Baylor can field the biggest front line in WBB, but I'm not sure who besides Wallace is left to shoot, pass and defend out on the floor.
  • Tara usually finds a way also, but the Cardinal lose 3 key seniors (Roberson, Samuelson & McCall). In the ultra-competitive Pac12, Stanford may not be a top tier team next season.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
If my Bruins don't do more next year, I will go into hibernation for the long haul :(

The PAC will always be competitive but the pieces may change. Even teams like WA State really impressed me before their plethora of injuries.

What I found strange from the final four was the game planning. Everyone and their dog knew Miss St overplayed defensively, thats what they do. This may not go over well with some, just my opinion, but Uconn lost its great ball movement and screening during their conference where they were playing against some inferior defensive teams. Sometimes it is better to practice the way you should play as opposed to just getting lay ups against inferior defenses when you are going to blow teams out.

Why wouldn't Miss St zone SC. The games I watched where SC had the most difficulty was trying to score on a zone or a match up zone. Sometimes coaches get stuck with how they play.

Reaction Score
UConn usually releases its official schedule for the coming season sometime during the month of September. We've received reports that the 13 pre-confernce games have been scheduled. The dates and times of those games may still have to be worked out. Don't look for next season's schedule before then.

Thank u! Think we get any premium non conference games at XL later this/next year?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thank u! Think we get any premium non conference games at XL later this/next year?

I don't know about any premiums, but there will more fans in attendance for those games in Hartford. :) More fans clapping their hands and raising a cheer for our Huskies.

Reaction Score

UConn
Ohio State
Tennessee
Texas
Duke
Oregon
Louisville
West Virginia

South Carolina
Notre Dame
Baylor
Mississippi State
Stanford
UCLA

Maryland
Florida State
Washington
Oregon State

I actually like this. I guess the only thing for UCONN to get better at is finishing he season with their 12 th Natty. 36-1 and 111 game winning streak is super impressive. But TBH their the only team I expect to get better next year and here's why:

Texas- Great Team, Program, and pretty good coach. They have to get in better condition as well and play as one. They have the team to break through and possibly win. Still remains to be seen if KA can do it.

Oregon- I expect them to rise to the top of the PAC 12. Talented young team and I'm hoping for big things from them again this year.

Ohio St- Has the team to do it but lack of defense will forever doom them. Until they correct it then the Sweet 16 is their limit.

Louisville- Always Underacheive. You would never think they had that many McDAA with the way they play. It's something missing from their program. They should really be better then they are and they could be better next season with a real PG but it still remains to be seen.

West Virginia- They could be really good next year with Martin taking a leadership role. They just can't have any lulls during their season and Montgomery leaving is a huge hit to their front court.

Tenn- Super Underachievers. They've had one of the most talented teams for some years now and hasn't been able to do much. Not expecting much next year even though they have a loaded team on PAPER. The wins over SC, ND, Stan, and Miss St were obviously flukes because those teams went to the FF & E8 and they couldn't make it pass the second round. Prepare the TENN needs a new coach threads.

Duke- I'm not sure how they would be better than last year. They have Brown and Greenwell back but lambert is still lost and Chidom and Cooper are gone do they really don't have anything in the post. interested to see how it turns out for them.

Even though Baylor, ND, and SC don't have talent dominant teams I still expect them to be top 5 simply based on coaching and tradition. Muffett knows how to coach her group up even without Allen and Turner, Mulkey has Brown and Cox to work with and some good recruits and Dawn who came off her best coaching year still has Wilson and a great supporting cast. I don't expect any of these three teams to fall off.

Reaction Score
I don't know about any premiums, but there will more fans in attendance for those games in Hartford. :) More fans clapping their hands and raising a cheer for our Huskies.

They do a wonderful job there. The pregame video " champions are made here" is great. The sound system is great. The bongos and kiss cam are great.

I only get front 10 rows dead center. For best experience.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't know about her accuracy from the arc but she has a nice face-up jumper from 15' and some nice inside moves around the basket.
Batouly shot .532 on FTs, so I think she needs to improve her midrange shot.

Reaction Score
I actually like this. I guess the only thing for UCONN to get better at is finishing he season with their 12 th Natty. 36-1 and 111 game winning streak is super impressive. But TBH their the only team I expect to get better next year and here's why:

Texas- Great Team, Program, and pretty good coach. They have to get in better condition as well and play as one. They have the team to break through and possibly win. Still remains to be seen if KA can do it.

Even though Baylor, ND, and SC don't have talent dominant teams I still expect them to be top 5 simply based on coaching and tradition. Muffett knows how to coach her group up even without Allen and Turner, Mulkey has Brown and Cox to work with and some good recruits and Dawn who came off her best coaching year still has Wilson and a great supporting cast. I don't expect any of these three teams to fall off.

South Carolina certainly has a different outlook than it did before. I would imagine that Aja Wilson will be firmly in the NPOY race now that USC has fewer proven options around her.

Harris
Cuevas
Cliney
Jennings
Wilson

Herbert-Harrigan

Then a bunch of unknowns. I suspect that at least one, perhaps two newcomers will eventually work her way into the starting lineup, but this team looks like it will probably depend pretty heavily on Wilson. I think she can probably take them pretty far, but winning the SEC and a return to the Final Four seem iffy.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I would love for SC to play Baylor, ND, and Maryland next year. It would be some very interesting matchups and someone other then UCONN would headline it.

SCspur I agree with you! What great match ups! Its what WCBB needs more of.

Muffet may bite but I don't see Kim or Brenda wanting anything to do with you guys.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Time to rethink the suggestion that OSU will be better. Yes, individual players can get better, so it isn't impossible, but losing three and adding zero means it is likely to be a dropoff.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In addition to a couple of top 10 recruits, Texas will also have 6-4 Jatarie White who transferred from South Carolina with 2 years of eligibility.

Reaction Score
Sports Illustrated issue is out. "The Huskies will be the preseason No 1, but South Carolina won't be far behind, given that all of the starters from Sunday's final will return." They are not taking into consideration that two of their starters are leaving for the WNBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sports Illustrated issue is out. "The Huskies will be the preseason No 1, but South Carolina won't be far behind, given that all of the starters from Sunday's final will return." They are not taking into consideration that two of their starters are leaving for the WNBA.
When you have to meet a press deadline, you go with the info you have ... and hope it doesn't appreciably change.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The latest from South Bend on Turner:

Turner’s surgery is scheduled for April 12, but there will be no timetable set for her return until further evaluation is made before the start of practice in October. Rehabilitation for an ACL tear often can take six to nine months, if not longer — and that is not including getting into basketball shape, clearing mental hurdles and other conditioning aspects.

“I want her to be 100 percent,” McGraw said. “I don’t want her to just be cleared to play, because she is too good a player to just go half a year. We’ll wait and see in the fall what that looks like.”

Turner taking a medical redshirt in 2017-18 and returning for a fifth season of eligibility in 2018-19 is not out of the question, but it is not something either McGraw or Turner is exploring as of now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Turner’s surgery is scheduled for April 12, but there will be no timetable set for her return until further evaluation is made before the start of practice in October. Rehabilitation for an ACL tear often can take six to nine months, if not longer — and that is not including getting into basketball shape, clearing mental hurdles and other conditioning aspects.

“I want her to be 100 percent,” McGraw said. “I don’t want her to just be cleared to play, because she is too good a player to just go half a year. We’ll wait and see in the fall what that looks like.”

Turner taking a medical redshirt in 2017-18 and returning for a fifth season of eligibility in 2018-19 is not out of the question, but it is not something either McGraw or Turner is exploring as of now.

Given the preliminary news on Turner's injury, I thought that next year might be in question for her. This information appears to confirm that's the case. Assuming that Turner does not make it back next year, ND will certainly miss her. They have lots of talent to put around Turner, but no one to replace her.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Here's my top 15. Much of my placements were made based on coaching...it's rare that Final Four teams get there with mediocre coaching, so I placed greater emphasis on coaching than talent in some instances:

1. Connecticut: The outlook for this team is sky high, and probably even higher with the added motivation to get back on top after getting beat by Mississippi State. More significantly, they return their 4 best players and add in 6-6 Stevens who solves their height issues in the post. Besides Chong, everyone is back. That's 2 AP 1st Teamers, a 2nd teamer (who is probably their best player), plus Stevens, Nurse and the #1 recruit in Walker. Williams, IMO, is the heavy favorite for NPOY next year considering how talented and multifaceted she is. In most big games this year, she was the best player on the court. This team should be the overwhelming favorite to win it all next year, it could potentially be one of UCONN's best teams of all time.

2. South Carolina: Even with the losses, the outlook for this team is fantastic solely due to the fact that they have Wilson back as a senior. A'ja has blossomed into the best frontcourt/post player in the country and she no longer shies away from contact. She is also developing into a good passer. Their point guard, Harris, has been stellar for SC and Cuevas is much improved. Obviously they're thin in other spots, but with Dawn at the helm and Wilson as a senior, I still think they're Final Four material. The only shot they have to repeat is if Gray or Davis decide to pass on the draft.

3. Mississippi State: They pulled off the upset of a lifetime and proved they were not a fluke by beating several very very good teams in the NCAA Tournament. They return their 3 best players but lose key role players in Okorie, Dillingham and Richardson. All were integral role players for Mississippi State who will need to be replaced. That said, they have one of the better coaches in the country in Schaefer and the best big game point guard in William. McCowan has great size inside and will continue to improve, Vivians is streaky but can light it up...they'll be a major threat to get back to the Final Four next year.

4. Notre Dame: They get a ranking this high due to their outstanding coaching. Next year is not going to be easy for the Irish. Turner will be coming off an ACL and if she doesn't redshirt, she likely wont be 100% most of the season. They lose an All-American point guard in Allen who was the engine that led Notre Dame's terrific offense. However, next year, ND will not be short for talent. Marina Mabrey and Arike Ogunbowale make up one of the best wing tandems in the country. Both are lethal from deep and capable of scoring 25 on any given night. Transfer Lili Thompson will man the point and should help ease the loss of Allen. Westbeld is a very good inside out forward, and the two freshmen on this roster (Boley/Young) will have more opportunity to take on a bigger role next season. Lack of post presence is going to be the achilles heel for this team if Turner doesn't rebound quickly from the ACL. Their incoming freshmen should have ample opportunity to get big minutes in the first half of the year with Turner recovering.

5. Texas: I might be overhyping this team a bit, but if they can develop some consistency, they'll be darn good. Their upside is outstanding if they can find the chemistry on the court, and I think Aston is a very good coach who will make it happen. Especially with the additions they're bringing in. Everyone is back besides Lang/Taylor. That means Atkins, Holmes, McCarty, and Higgs. They also have Jatarie White coming on board to add more depth in the post. Next year might be the year they get over the hump and make the Final Four. I think this might be the only team with a realistic shot to compete with the Huskies.

6. Baylor: Not sure how they have gone 5 straight years without a Final Four considering the ample talent on their roster, but next year they'll have one of the most talented lineups in college basketball once again. Look for Kalani Brown to establish herself as the preeminent post in women's basketball. Cox, the #1 recruit this year, will have a year of experience and more opportunity to showcase her talent. Tough as nails PG Wallace is back along with Natalie Chou who is one of the better spot up shooters in the country. They'll be very good once again, but I'm really not sold on Kim as a coach after the last several seasons, so a Final Four will be a much tougher task without the likes of Jones, Davis and Prince on the roster.

7. Stanford: Tara's teams consistently overachieve, and I think they'll do the same once again. They lost some core players but return Mcphee, Smith and Sniezek. Tara is a masterful coach, so even if they don't appear to be intimidating on paper, she'll put together a really good team once again.

8. UCLA: Another good team with a lot coming back in Canada, Billings and Burke. Next year will be their best shot at a Final Four.

9. Tennessee: I do think Tennessee will be MUCH improved next year. I may be optimistic with this ranking, but Tennessee had zero depth this year, dreadful shooting, and overly relied on their big 3. Next year they'll have Cooper back, Russell and Nared return (they were both much improved players this year), Diamond is back, and a big recruiting class who should make an impact from the get go. This team had some good stretches with a depleted roster. With more depth I'm hoping for consistency. On paper this team should be a Final Four squad (the last time we had this much talent was in the Candace Parker era), but we have dreadful coaching so I'm thinking 8-15 is a more realistic range. If we are outside the top 20 at any point next season, Warlick needs to go.

10. Louisville: This team should probably be ranked higher, but I was just not impressed with them this season. So much talent in Moore/Hines-Allen/Durr but they lost to every good team the faced, and usually had trouble staying the game. 34 point loss to Baylor, 24 pt loss to SC, losses of 19 and 11 to Notre Dame. Their best wins on the season were a home win against Tennessee and an OT win over Kentucky early in the season. They have Final Four talent, but they need to prove they can compete with and beat other top fifteen teams before they deserve a ranking in the top 10.

11. Oregon: Everyone who averaged more than 5ppg is coming back, led by their two freshmen, Ionescu and Hebard. Consistency is key here, they had an up and down season which is to be expected for a group of young players, but with everyone back and a good coach in Graves, Oregon has potential to make another big tournament run.

12. Maryland: They lose their 3 best players, but the cupboard isn't bare. Charles and Fraser will blossom with more opportunity, and this team still has potential to be very good. Brenda is a better coach than many give credit to, so I think she'll still keep her squad in the top 4 seeds.

13. Ohio State: A team that is loaded with talent but poorly coached. They should be a Final Four contender on paper with Mitchell/Harper/Calhoun/Mavunga/McCoy, but they just don't play defense. Mitchell coming back is huge and she has the talent to lead her team to the Final Four, but I don't see it happening.

14. Florida State: Another team depleted by graduation, but FSU was a consistent top 5-8 team most of the season. Thomas is back and Semrau is one of the more underrated coaches in the country, so FSU should be good once again.

15. Duke: They return a lot of talent but I just don't see them as a top team with McCallie at the helm. Brown and Greenwell are outstanding and Duke has a lot of talent on paper. I think they'll be good, but I don't see this program taking the next step under P.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Also worth noting from that article - Westbeld is getting ankle surgery. Rehab expected to take four months. She should be fine for next season but you never know.

I don't think people realize how incredible it is a) that Westbeld was playing at all and b) that ND almost made the Final Four with Turner out and Westbeld hobbled.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Also worth noting from that article - Westbeld is getting ankle surgery. Rehab expected to take four months. She should be fine for next season but you never know.

I don't think people realize how incredible it is a) that Westbeld was playing at all and b) that ND almost made the Final Four with Turner out and Westbeld hobbled.

Westbeld surely was not herself last season. She seemed not as fit as in previous years which may have been the result of her ankle injury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom