Way OT: Paper Grading Bingo | The Boneyard

Way OT: Paper Grading Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ozzie, although the errors are different in nature and form a study found that the error rate for Wikipedia is equal to that of the encyclopdia Britannica.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Where is the "Tried the 'Dog ate my homework' excuse"?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Ozzie, although the errors are different in nature and form a study found that the error rate for Wikipedia is equal to that of the encyclopdia Britannica.

Theses should have only primary sources...Wiki and EB are secondary at best.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Theses should have only primary sources...Wiki and EB are secondary at best.

True. But the best articles there have really good footnotes and links to primary sources and proper crediting may require both the Wiki citation and the primary source.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
True. But the best articles there have really good footnotes and links to primary sources.

Students need to read them directly, not just link them...or so I think. If you link the primary source, but do not read it, you depend on someone else’s interpretation...this is the classic secondary reference. It is also far less work for the student. Due diligence does not come easily.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Absolutely, students and those producing serious work need to work in primary resources. The nature of Wikipedia, however, is that it does present some original material. Therefore using that material would need proper citation of Wikipedia. But if that summary or citation is based on external material one must credit the primary external source which should/must have been read and confirmed, as well.

In this sense Wikipedia is no different than the numerous works of David Barton which are quoted by numerous people expecting him to be an accurate source of American history. In real journalism or academic papers Barton must always be checked which is very hard because he rarely provides professional notes and yet publishes numerous inaccuracies about the Founding Fathers and the Framers of the Constitution. So I teach my students to cite Wikipedia but tell me if they are accurate or not by demonstrating it from primary sources.

Sometimes the creators of Wikipedia articles just make a point in a way worth using but primary source work is critical.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Sure.

Frankly, I have not found that college seniors wish to use Wiki or EB for creativity. IAC, there is room for Professors with different styles. I am not saying I am right, but I am saying what my expectations are for my thesis students.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sure.

Frankly, I have not found that college seniors wish to use Wiki or EB for creativity. IAC, there is room for Professors with different styles. I am not saying I am right, but I am saying what my expectations are for my thesis students.

No, I think you are right. Just that there is space for use of Wikipedia in research and citation. I would never ever accept students not doing proper primary source work. Lord I despise the people like Barton and the impact they are having on the corrupting of American history.

Reaction Score
I remember one course with an essay question I was thoroughly unprepared for, so I tried a trick that worked well for me at times in the past in some of the intro classes. You know, the old "dazzle them with details/BS" trick? I threw a ton of facts, analysis and dissertation at a related but not exactly on point topic. When I got the exam back, I was surprised that I got 0 points for that question - because it had worked in the past. Written in the column was a notation that I knew the information I persented well and made some interesting points - but did not respond to the question asked. Lesson I learned? Don't try to pull that stunt when the class has less than 10 students and the prof actually has the time to completely READ the responses when grading an exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom