OT: - Way off topic. Seeking opinions of Windows 11. | The Boneyard

OT: Way off topic. Seeking opinions of Windows 11.

Reaction Score
An old stick-in-the-mud, I'm using Windows 10, but with Classic Shell, so it looks and acts like Windows 7. I keep getting messages from Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 11. I would like to know what anyone who is using 11 thinks of it.

Reaction Score
I love it on my laptop and desktop. Only a small learning curve is required like finding the shutdown button. Make sure your machine is capable of an upgrade and go for it.

Reaction Score
Like most other Microsoft Upgrades, it has some good points and bad points. It did take me a while to figure out how to use the new and different features I wanted; but so did all of the other Microsoft upgrades over the years. My biggest complaint was that my existing HP LaserJet printer would not work with Windows 11 and I eventually had to purchase another newer HP LaserJet printer. I really hate Microsoft for doing that. Also be sure your version of Microsoft Office (and any other software you currently use) will work with Windows 11.

Reaction Score
I've programmed and repaired computers for about 40 years and have used all of the Windows versions and have to have a machine with the latest on it so I know what is up with the new versions. I am now running Windows 10 on my laptop and windows 11 on my main desktop. It is a stable product that will work fine if your machine can support it. Running any OS that is out of security support is asking for trouble and is never recommended. My personal opinion is that change is always a learning curve but keeps your brain sharp haha. Some of the cosmetic changes like in the taskbar seem to be just to be different (or in some cases Apple like) and several often used shortcuts are now gone for no real reason. You can and will adjust in a short time. As Nike says Just do it.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
I heard 11 is great if you're using HDR. Still not a fan of the new right click.
Also didn't help that it caused AMD CPUs performance issues at launch. My 3-year old laptop which boots off a reasonably fast SSD seems to grind with Windows 11 more than when it was still on 10 but I was too lazy to revert back to 10.

I'm sticking with Windows 10 for my desktop for the foreseeable future.
5800X3D, RTX3080

Last edited:
Reaction Score
An old stick-in-the-mud, I'm using Windows 10, but with Classic Shell, so it looks and acts like Windows 7. I keep getting messages from Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 11. I would like to know what anyone who is using 11 thinks of it.
It's different but only in a look and feel way. I put it off but had to replace my computer and the new one came with 11.

You get used to it. Microsoft only provides security updates for 10; not sure when they stop supporting it all together.

I have two old computers, one with Windows 95 and one with XP that I keep only for some older games that need the older OS. I don't put them on the internet.

My indecision currently is whether to switch from Spectrum Internet (cable) to Frontier fiber. I just replaced my router a year or so ago with the Zen ET8 6E and about 6 months ago the modem with a NightHawk and they are doing fine. I really don't want them running a bunch of new cables. If the Optical Terminal mounts outside and they can patch at that point into existing phone lines maybe.

Lenovo P360, P520c

Reaction Score
Like most other Microsoft Upgrades, it has some good points and bad points. It did take me a while to figure out how to use the new and different features I wanted; but so did all of the other Microsoft upgrades over the years. My biggest complaint was that my existing HP LaserJet printer would not work with Windows 11 and I eventually had to purchase another newer HP LaserJet printer. I really hate Microsoft for doing that. Also be sure your version of Microsoft Office (and any other software you currently use) will work with Windows 11.
I like Windows 11, but it doesn’t work with my printer, so I have to use another computer to print.

Reaction Score
I like Windows 11, but it doesn’t work with my printer, so I have to use another computer to print.
Printer is old, but functional. Shouldn’t be a dealbreaker for me, but I need to stay current with security patches, and will let that determine my fate. Currently Win 10, and not able to go to 11 on my hardware.

Reaction Score
Printer is old, but functional. Shouldn’t be a dealbreaker for me, but I need to stay current with security patches, and will let that determine my fate. Currently Win 10, and not able to go to 11 on my hardware.
I had a problem getting my old HP 2100 laser printer to work on Windows 11 but doing a little research on the web I found a fix using the Universal Printer Driver.

Reaction Score
If you like the Windows 10/7 interface you can "almost" make Windows 11 look and feel like 10/7 (more so like 10 than 7) without using a third party app, just by utilizing the settings options. There are third party apps you can download that will enable Windows 11 to really look and feel like 7. Your question is very common and not alone. There are plenty online articles on this as well as videos (just ask Google the same question), read/watch and they will walk you through the steps...it may not be 100% like Windows 10 but close. That is the way I have my PC setup as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Linux user here. :)
Smart fella. A personal opinion--I don't like working with equipment derived from thieves. My family is strong in the SV scene and they understand my position.

Reaction Score
I've put up with Windows changes since somewhere about day 1. It's a necessary evil. There's always a new group who think they have to change the UI and also "improve" how some functions work, and then sometimes even drop good stuff. As someone said...you get used to it.

If you have more than one machine, install it on one and grind it out. Eventually, you'll capitulate and adjust.;);)

Reaction Score
Little effort required to move from Windows10 to 11 but little added value provided. Not sure I can name any new functionality that provides a materially better user experience.

Reaction Score
As a developer I was forced to use Windows at work going back to at least windows 3, but have used Mac since mid-eighties. Have 2 iMacs now, including a new M1. Dell could start selling desktops running Windows for $0.00 and I still wouldn’t use one.

Reaction Score
I was thinking of upgrading to Windows 11 but I want to make sure I can bring WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER!

Reaction Score
I was thinking of upgrading to Windows 11 but I want to make sure I can bring WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER!
As far as I know (knew?) Win Media Player ended with Windows 7. There may be ways to port it to newer versions but I never tried. It was a great app and I miss it...one of the examples of good things that got dropped from Windows by Microsoft.

Here are some articles on alternatives that I haven't tried. Alternatives to Windows 10 Media Player at DuckDuckGo I hope you succeed in getting a substitute or get WMP to run in Win 10 or 11.

Reaction Score
As far as I know (knew?) Win Media Player ended with Windows 7. There may be ways to port it to newer versions but I never tried. It was a great app and I miss it...one of the examples of good things that got dropped from Windows by Microsoft.

Here are some articles on alternatives that I haven't tried. Alternatives to Windows 10 Media Player at DuckDuckGo I hope you succeed in getting a substitute or get WMP to run in Win 10 or 11.
I have been using VLC Media Player for some time, one of the better ones out there and free. In general I shy away from Microsoft's products...if I can avoid it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, I still use my HP 4L. Just a great printer. I actually had two scavenge parts from two of them in order to keep it running.

I also have a modern Cannon laser printer but for some tasks the 4L can't be beat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom