Watching Wisconsin v. Penn State | The Boneyard

Watching Wisconsin v. Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've gone on record here saying I don't care what kind of offense we run as long as we score points.

With that being said, we're looking at very similar formations that we ran at the beginning of this season and last year. What's completely different, though (outside of execution), are the schemes and creativity.

Watching Wisconsin's shifts, motions, counters, etc. show that these pro-style, run heavy offenses can still be exciting and put up points. If we go back to these 22 personnel packages with an OC that can get creative with it, I don't think it will be the end of the world.

Diaco is probably watching this game with an superjohn, and I don't blame him - I like this kind of football too. But it's clear when you watch these other schools that the offenses are much more intricate than just zone right and zone left.

Reaction Score
The difference is that Wisconsin has an offensive line! Among many other things we don't have.....

No I know, but even disregarding those things it is just at another level compared to what we were doing under Verducci.

Reaction Score
I love Wisconsin but we're not them and even if we had their players we'd screw it up. Happy 2017.

Reaction Score
I love Wisconsin but we're not them and even if we had their players we'd screw it up. Happy 2017.
tyTc1Nl.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The difference is that Wisconsin has an offensive line! Among many other things we don't have.....
I remember earlier in the season watching highlights of a Wisconsin game (I think Nebraska but could be wrong) and there were a few plays where the Badgers had big runs behind pulling linemen, plays that looked identical to plays we ran from 2007-2010.

The change in blocking schemes once Edsall left was without question the worse thing that ever happened to the football program. All other mistakes were just things to add to the list.

Reaction Score
I remember earlier in the season watching highlights of a Wisconsin game (I think Nebraska but could be wrong) and there were a few plays where the Badgers had big runs behind pulling linemen, plays that looked identical to plays we ran from 2007-2010.

The change in blocking schemes once Edsall left was without question the worse thing that ever happened to the football program. All other mistakes were just things to add to the list.

That's exactly what I mean. It's not just the blocking schemes, either. I don't think we have run a counter in 2 years.

Reaction Score
One thing Penn State has that is interesting at the college level is light defensive linemen, and especially light LBs. If they are tough, and strong, and fast, and you have a lot of them, it works.

Reaction Score
Moorehead, Orlando, Weist ...uncanny ability to identify the right talent then discount it and pick the wrong path...

Reaction Score
Moorehead, Orlando, Weist ...uncanny ability to identify the right talent then discount it and pick the wrong path...

Lagow, Nebrich, Williams (his own fault, but still)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom