Washington Post - "In Notre Dame deal, ACC got short end of the stick" | The Boneyard

Washington Post - "In Notre Dame deal, ACC got short end of the stick"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...faded6-0013-11e2-9367-4e1bafb958db_story.html

When this deal was announced, I was thinking the same things. How this is a great deal for Notre Dame and how Notre Dame really seems to be a good negotiator.

With the big exit fee, there's no way 16-team conferences will form. There won't be enough quality teams to add. So Notre Dame won't ever have to worry about joining a conference to get to the playoff.

There is a possibility that Florida State or Maryland could leave since they voted against the exit fee. If they weren't thinking about leaving, they wouldn't publicly complain about the exit fee, and they would have voted for it in the official vote just to present a unified front. So it is really possible that Florida State and Maryland could leave. But who cares? Maryland doesn't matter that much anyway, and Notre Dame isn't there because they wanted to join a good football conference. They don't care if Florida State leaves. They are good traditionally in basketball which is the most important reason for Notre Dame to join. Now, Florida State leaving would really hurt the rest of the ACC teams. But that would be good for Notre Dame because it would give them even for leverage.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
ND was able to leverage the "If we take them now, maybe they'll join for football too" argument into another one sided deal.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
ND was able to leverage the "If we take them now, maybe they'll join for football too" argument into another one sided deal.
I couldn't help thinking about nelson. The baton has been passed to the ACC from the BE and they and now it's there turn to begharder.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ND asked the ACC to write their english paper. The ACC said yes, though ND is never asking the ACC to the prom.

Reaction Score
This cannot be a bad deal for the ACC because I read on this board there was no downside of this to the ACC.

pj

Reaction Score
There was no downside on this deal for ESPN.

Reaction Score
The article is pretty spot on with my opinion, but I'd disagree with one point made at the end. The Big 12 would have made this offer as well and seemed to try to. The other three conferences don't care, but the Big 12 and the ACC are lower hanging fruit on the conference tree.

Reaction Score
i had heard in other stories that the ACC will pay ND a full share of TV revenue, including football. Is this correct, and if so, where's the extra money coming from? whether ACC got completely hosed is up for debate, but hands down ND made out like bandits

Reaction Score
ND gets no FB revenue. Read ACC press release. ACC TV revenue is split 80% football and 20% BB. ND will keep all NBC TV revenue. ND will get 1/15 of 20% of the TV revenue contract. When FB games are played at ND, ND keeps TV revenue and when ND plays games at ACC teams, ACC keeps revenue.

http://theacc.co/ACC-ND-PresserText

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
All you ever hear about on these boards is that Notre Dame is going to be forced to this or that, their NBC is gonna go away, the BCS is going play hardball with them, etc.

It's nonsense - they are a conference of one team. They swing a huge stick and the ACC just got clubbed like a baby seal, just as the Big East was back in the day.

ND brought a saddle to the negotiations and rode Swofford around the room like a pony.

Reaction Score
ND brought a saddle to the negotiations and rode Swofford around the room like a pony.

I just got an image of that korean rapper and the gangnam style video when I read that.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I just got an image of that korean rapper and the gangnam style video when I read that.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about the Gangnam style for a couple of days. Now I can't get it out of my head again.

Reaction Score
All you ever hear about on these boards is that Notre Dame is going to be forced to this or that, their NBC is gonna go away, the BCS is going play hardball with them, etc.

It's nonsense - they are a conference of one team. They swing a huge stick and the ACC just got clubbed like a baby seal, just as the Big East was back in the day.

This one made me laugh.

Reaction Score

tumblr_magsjbeD2M1rq4xsa.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22