Was Walz's game plan Legit?

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by JimGunther, Apr 1, 2013.

1. HGN

HGN

Walz's game plan was very legit. Did Louisville foul Griner a few times...Absolutely. And the ref's never called it. It's the same game plan that Muffet uses against UConn. Have your players play the opponent physically , but complain when they do the same to you. Have you ever sat and watched a ND vs UConn game and said that ND players never seem to foul UConn , but UConn players can't even get near Diggins without a whistle ?? Walz even complained when he thought a couple of his own players got fouled. Walz forced the ref's to either blow or swallow their whistle.

It was a legit game plan. Fortunately for him and Louisville, it worked in his favor all game long.

2. 5sidedlarry

5sidedlarry Used Member

it was legit as long as there is no grabbing or pushing off a spot they both have a right to go to a spot..what they really were trying to do is take up her feet space so she couldn't move..i know that sounds stupid but it is not the first time it has been done,one time she almost fell out of bounds because she couldn't keep her balance..

i truly believe that the only way womens basketball is going to get bigger is by having these upsets of the higher ranked teams..what we need is better teams at the bottom of the rankings

3. bertieboy

bertieboy

Brand was not triple teamed, he was double teamed. He was guarded by our center and as soon as he got the ball the forward on that side of the court guarded him as well. He was defended tightly but he was definitely not mugged. Our remaining three players played zone on Duke's 4. It was a masterful piece of coaching by Calhoun.

4. UcMiami

UcMiami How it is

I didn't watch the game, but ... Walz basically said I am going to let you play 4 against 2.5 players on offense but you do not get Griner. And Kim and Baylor did not step up to the plate. Junk defenses have existed since the first basketball was tossed up, and sometimes they work. I would guess Kim should have moved Griner further from the lane and worked the 4 on 3 to create serious mismatches and a lot of lay-ups.
    And as others have said - if a team hits 16 of 25 on threes against you the chance of you winning the game is pretty low. Seems to me that Uconn experienced that on at least one occasion in the NCAAs and at least once in the Big East tournament.
    As for the physicality - post play is always physical, especially in the NCAAs and refs on both the men's and women's side have a tough time - you do not want to turn the game completely into a free throw shooting contest, but you have to keep control. I did see the earlier clip of SS jawing at Griner after the 'and 1' and thought a T or at least a stern warning should have been issued then. The later double T was probably specifically a result of that earlier situation not causing any reaction from the refs. Louisville certainly had a ton of fouls called on them and lost three starters, and I think Baylor benefitted from the no calls in the last ten minutes as well, as from the clips they were giving it out pretty well in the last 10 minutes.
    I don't care for what happens with the clutching and bumping of cutters in the game, but it happens in all team sports and at all levels. Makes for a less 'pretty' game, but it is what it is. What is bad in WCBB is the inconsistency within games and the occasional absolute howler of a missed call. That drives coaches, players, and fans crazy because they can't adjust when the standards vary minute to minute.

huskyharry and Icebear like this.
  5. snowkot

snowkot

Agreed. She is irrepressible and undeniably talented. A talent and coach most likely perfectly matched.

Ice - you're right. That's what I get for watching SportsCenter half awake... :confused:

6. Bigpetunia

Bigpetunia

I realize that my opinion on this is not shared by many, or even most, but here goes: I not only think Walz's plan was legit...it is exactly what most of us would call for if we coached against Baylor, just as, incidentally, so many coaches do when game planning against us - a tactic that certainly derailed a large portion of Stewie's Freshman year in particular. The question would not even be raised, in my opinion, if such a strategy were employed by, say, a Boeheim or a Pitino against a dominant post player on the mens' side. We tend, I think, to get stuck in the old ways of thinking about this sport as "girls'" basketball...it's not, not at the highest level. No double standard is required here...this is a young womens' hard-nosed game today, with high stakes and high potential rewards. The pressure to win at this level is huge, and the players, in my opinion, accept some of the physical realities that go with that scenario better than some of the fans. Kim Mulkey griping about this is the height of hypocrisy, since it's a tactic that she and her players (Oddysey in particular) will employ at any opportunity, as they did last night. Did the refs let it all go too far? Possibly. Do the refs need to impose a little more control? Possibly, but one cannot contend, looking at the foul stats, that Baylor was disproportionally disadvantaged. This is what the womens' game has evolved into, and, like it or not, it's here to stay. I have NO problem with that.

Kibitzer and UcMiami like this.
  7. UcMiami

UcMiami How it is

BigP - good post and I agree that this is the 'cost' of allowing women to actually compete at sports (Joke, joke, please do not ban me!)
    The only thing I would add is that I do not think the quality of the refs has kept up with the quality of the competition in WCBB. And it is not necessarily the 'control' issue - refs in every sport at every level sometimes lose control of the game. The problem as I stated above is the consistency within games to call the same fouls both ways from start to finish. In that respect, I actually thought the refs did pretty well in this game as when Baylor finally awoke and started giving as good as they got during the last 10 minutes, they were given the same latitude.

8. UConnChapette

UConnChapette

How many of the NCAAW refs are former players? Would former players make good refs, or would they be worse? I would think they would make for better refs. They have been in the trenches, know what is and is not a true foul. I suppose there is always the question of could they be impartial. I just have never thought of what qualifies someone to be a ref.

9. UConnChapette

UConnChapette

Did some googling - yes, it is a verb now.

Dee Kantner was a field hockey player. Can't find much information on some of the other officiating "stars" of the game

10. UcMiami

UcMiami How it is

I think the biggest requirement is someone who is willing to work a second job (the reffing) for very little pay that includes a lot of travel and staying in crap hotels. Oh yeah, and everyone you see on your travels is going to think you are a terrible excuse for a human being!

11. Oxford Bob

Oxford Bob

I have to assume most are former players at different levels (Div. I, II,or III) and those who aren't where most likely very good athletes in other sports.

12. easttexastrash

easttexastrash Stay Classy!

His game plan was disgusting and as has been said about Griner, I hope karma gets Walz. His "game plan" was not to take away BG's feet, it was to beat the crap out of her.

Check out my new avatar. This is what Walz' gamelan consisted of.

13. easttexastrash

image.jpg

14. sarals24

sarals24 Lone Starlet

I can't fault Walz for this one. He had a plan, which was to basically force the rest of the Baylor team to beat them. And they didn't. The few times that Griner did get the ball she didn't go aggressively to the basket. The last play of the game she was completely out of position.

I am not a huge Walz fan, but credit L'ville with playing their hearts out and pulling off the unthinkable.

15. easttexastrash

Winning at all costs is apparently admirable to you.

16. pap49cba

pap49cba The Supreme Linkster

This was typical Walz. He employed the exact same tactic against Uconn 2 years ago at Louisville... one of the ugliest, most physical and dirty games I've seen. His comment about playing "street ball" says it all.

ScarlettB likes this.
  17. Icebear

Icebear Andlig Ledare

It is not Walz fault that the officials did not blow their whistles. Oh wait, they did and called 24 fouls and 3 players fouled out for l-ville. It is all part of the game. Just like the brutality in the UConn - ND games. Accept it and overcome it is what a champion needs to do.

18. easttexastrash

I think that the fact this thread was started has already answered the question before us.

19. easttexastrash

I watched that game and was stunned during that game. It was ugly and brutal, as well.

20. housekeys

housekeys

I do not mean to pick on your post, but as I read the rest of this thread I see the same comment, highlighted above, mentioned all the time. This remark misses an important point. Missing calls both ways implies neutrality, but this is not true at all. This type of officiating adversely affects the more skilled (in theory, the better) team. To that affect Baylor has legitimate gripe, but LV deserves all the accolades because they did play a phenomenal game.

I also see posters say the refs need to let them play, otherwise there will be a parade to the free throw line. This is not true either. After the initial slew of calls and key players picking up fouls, you will see a much cleaner game, with basketball skills determining the winner. This is what should happen. Unless this was football, rewarding physical play or the ability to play through physicality, is not what this game should be about. BTW, the men's game suffers through the same issues.

Was it legit? Yes. Was it fair? IMO, no. Was it the only way to win? Yes. Was it entertaining? Yes. Do I favor this trend? No, because there are better ways to achieve all of the above without resorting to this style. JMHO.

Web Hosting Service by Host Duplex