Was last year's schedule tougher? | The Boneyard

Was last year's schedule tougher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was talking to my brother, also a UConn alum, and he mentioned that we might be better this year but that the schedule was tougher this year. I have heard this a number of times. I agreed with him, however, since we're Italian and argue about everything, I decided to look it up.

The opener. Nova versus Maine. Nova definitely deserves the edge. It doesn't matter. It's a wash.

Second game is Navy. Navy last year was very good. This year they should be much weaker losing their best QB since Staubach and their entire offenive line. So my guess is last year's Navy team was tougher. This game should be easier.

Our next two games are home against Virginia and Syracuse. Both are coming off 4-8 seasons. Virginia is picked last in its division and SU is in the bottom half of theirs. Last year we went on the road for Missouri and BYU. I think last year was tougher.

Our next game is away at Houston. They are good. They were good last year. I'll give this year's Houston game a tougher grade because its in Texas and they should have their starter back.

Cinny is next. They underperformed last year. But we get them at home this year. But they always seem to have our number. I call it a wash.

USF. They should be better. We should be better. They beat us last year. But the game won't be tougher. I say it's a wash.

UCF at home. A wash.

ECU away. They have a new head man and the offense looks in chaos. So a slightly more favorable match up for us. Bu since they are home, let's call it a wash.

Temple at home. We stunk up Philly last year. We're at home. Temple lost it's bell cow. I think this one is less difficult than last year.

BCU away. They replace Army as an OOC game. So I think it is a tougher game.

Tulane. Call it a wash.

So the way I see it. We have 2 tougher game 4 easier games and 6 the same. So I think one can make the case that this schedule is actually easier than last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd have to agree with you. We can realistically go 3-1 or 4-0 in the OOC matchups. Last year, while we played Mizzou and BYU well on the road, no one expected better than 2-2. I think the AAC schedule is more or less equal to last season.

Reaction Score
No idea how you draw the conclusions that playing @ECU and @USF are somehow going to be as easy as playing them at home because neither of them will have gotten significantly better at a higher rate than us. All other things being equal, away games are tougher. ECU has a lot of fan support and we aren't going to bring a ton of fans to their stadium. Same with USF. Those are both going to be tougher than last year.

Reaction Score
No idea how you draw the conclusions that playing @ECU and @USF are somehow going to be as easy as playing them at home because neither of them will have gotten significantly better at a higher rate than us. All other things being equal, away games are tougher. ECU has a lot of fan support and we aren't going to bring a ton of fans to their stadium. Same with USF. Those are both going to be tougher than last year.

ECU has a new head coach. That's always tough on a team and they only return four offense starters and we have won at ECU in the past. I don't think they are easier, I think it's a wash.

We lost to USF last year in a competitive game last year I expect the same this year (hpefully not the loss). Once again we have enjoyed success at USF in the past. I see it as a wash.

I think that calling those games as no easier or tougher is reasonable.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Missouri turned out to be really bad. I have to think UVA will show better.

I think USF is better so the schedule is better. How good we are isn't part of the comp.

UH can't be as good even on the road, but I wouldn't except them to be beaten on a halfback option toss. Technically an easier game that we probably don't win.

Reaction Score
The non-conference schedule this year is much easier. If we are any good we should be no worse than 3-1 and 4-0 is doable. Just because a team has ACC on its field doesn't mean it's a good team. We're playing SUYACUSE Viginia and BC for heaven's sake. Not FSU Clemson and Carolina.

Conference games are what they are. Year to year teams improve and others fall back. That's the nature of a conference. Overall I think last year was a tougher schedule but this year is much more interesting.

Reaction Score
Last year at BYU was tough and really if UConn could have mustered any offense at all they would have beat Missouri. Even though Mizzou had an off year it still would have been a huge win for a UConn team struggling to beat anyone never mind a SEC team. This year those are replaced with two highly emotional games, Syracuse and BC. Playing two teams that were picked instead of you to join the P-5 is one thing. Playing two former conference mates is another. Add that these two could arguably be considered UConn's biggest rivals and that one of them publicly stated(and voted) that the Huskies didn't belong in the same conference, well that just amps it up even more. Virginia could be an emotional game for Coach Diaco and half of the staff as they had coached and/or played at Virginia so figure the whole team will be juiced for that encounter more than playing Army last year. Cincy and Temple have had UConn's number and the Huskies need to get that monkey off their back, especially the Bearcats who look to be the odds on favorite in the division. Most would say those are just as tough as last year but there are higher expectations for the Huskies this year and the Temple game could be the division title decider so I am thinking these two games will be highly charged, very emotional contests. Houston will be big, even bigger than last year because there will be all sorts watching to see if the Huskies have indeed turned the corner and belong with the P-5. Beating the Cougars two years in a row would definitely get people wondering why UConn isn't the next P-5 invitee.

There is a lot on the line this year with another possible conference re-alignment looming and the Huskies desperately needing to show an improved fan base and home game attendance. I'd say this year will be emotionally tougher with the out of conference schedule meaning so much more than last year. So yea, with the importance of this season for the future of UConn athletics as a whole I'd say tougher than last year.

Reaction Score
Last year at BYU was tough and really if UConn could have mustered any offense at all they would have beat Missouri. Even though Mizzou had an off year it still would have been a huge win for a UConn team struggling to beat anyone never mind a SEC team. This year those are replaced with two highly emotional games, Syracuse and BC. Playing two teams that were picked instead of you to join the P-5 is one thing. Playing two former conference mates is another. Add that these two could arguably be considered UConn's biggest rivals and that one of them publicly stated(and voted) that the Huskies didn't belong in the same conference, well that just amps it up even more. Virginia could be an emotional game for Coach Diaco and half of the staff as they had coached and/or played at Virginia so figure the whole team will be juiced for that encounter more than playing Army last year. Cincy and Temple have had UConn's number and the Huskies need to get that monkey off their back, especially the Bearcats who look to be the odds on favorite in the division. Most would say those are just as tough as last year but there are higher expectations for the Huskies this year and the Temple game could be the division title decider so I am thinking these two games will be highly charged, very emotional contests. Houston will be big, even bigger than last year because there will be all sorts watching to see if the Huskies have indeed turned the corner and belong with the P-5. Beating the Cougars two years in a row would definitely get people wondering why UConn isn't the next P-5 invitee.

There is a lot on the line this year with another possible conference re-alignment looming and the Huskies desperately needing to show an improved fan base and home game attendance. I'd say this year will be emotionally tougher with the out of conference schedule meaning so much more than last year. So yea, with the importance of this season for the future of UConn athletics as a whole I'd say tougher than last year.

If we beat Cinci and Houston, the point is made. Although it is somewhat ridiculous evaluating any entrant based on a moment in time. Anyone with a brain would be looking at long term systemic capability and commitment to academics and sports. There are two schools that fit that bill. There is one (Cinci) who might with a lot of work, and a bunch that will need decades to improve their institutional standing. The Big 12 has to decide whether it chases down the academic rung or takes two very fine schools that frankly greatly improve their overall academic and institutional prowess. Houston and Memphis turn the Big 12 into a joke. The others further dilute their standing as serious schools.

Reaction Score
ECU is tougher being on the road. Let's not underestimate the home field advantage there.

Reaction Score
If we beat Cinci and Houston, the point is made. Although it is somewhat ridiculous evaluating any entrant based on a moment in time. Anyone with a brain would be looking at long term systemic capability and commitment to academics and sports.

Then how do you explain Louisville's invite to the ACC over UConn? If that wasn't the right moment at the right time I don't know what is because I'll bet it had little to do with academics.

Reaction Score
Then how do you explain Louisville's invite to the ACC over UConn? If that wasn't the right moment at the right time I don't know what is because I'll bet it had little to do with academics.
Precisely ...

Reaction Score
Missouri turned out to be really bad. I have to think UVA will show better.

I think USF is better so the schedule is better. How good we are isn't part of the comp.

UH can't be as good even on the road, but I wouldn't except them to be beaten on a halfback option toss. Technically an easier game that we probably don't win.
I don't think you can call Mizzou "really bad," 5-7 in the SEC is probably better than 6-7 in the AAC.

But I feel that last year's was much tougher. Going to Missouri, coming home to play the second best team in the conference, going to Utah, and then going to Florida is much tougher than anything we have on this year's schedule. Houston on a short week is really the only game that concerns me.

Reaction Score
Virginia, Syracuse and BC will put up a better fight than Nova, Army and Missouri did last year. The BC game sets up nice as UConn has a bye week leading into that match but the pundits claim BC has a legit defense and the Huskies haven't proved a thing yet on offense.

Reaction Score
vs Maine /vs Nova: Nova (1 last year)
@ Navy / vs Army: Navy (1 this year)
vs Virginia / @ Mizzou: Mizz. (2 last year)
vs Cuse / vs Navy (toss up, lean 3 last year)
@ Houston / @ BYU: UH (2 this year)
vs Cincinnati / @ UCF: Cincy (3 this year)
@ South Florida / vs South Florida: @ USF (4 this year)
vs Central Florida / @ Cincinnati: Cincy (4 last year)
@ East Carolina / vs East Carolina: @ ECU (5 this year)
vs Temple / @ Tulane: Temple (6 this year)
@ Boston College / vs Houston: BC (7 this year)
vs Tulane / @ Temple: Temple (5 last year)

By my calculations this season schedule is tougher.

Reaction Score
Virginia, Syracuse and BC will put up a better fight than Nova, Army and Missouri did last year. The BC game sets up nice as UConn has a bye week leading into that match but the pundits claim BC has a legit defense and the Huskies haven't proved a thing yet on offense.
The Nova game is the equivalent of the Maine game.

So for OOC games, it's 2016 Virginia, Syracuse (home) and BCU (away ) versus 2015 Missouri, BYU (away) and Army (home).

Reaction Score
vs Maine /vs Nova: Nova (1 last year)
@ Navy / vs Army: Navy (1 this year)
vs Virginia / @ Mizzou: Mizz. (2 last year)
vs Cuse / vs Navy (toss up, lean 3 last year)
@ Houston / @ BYU: UH (2 this year)
vs Cincinnati / @ UCF: Cincy (3 this year)
@ South Florida / vs South Florida: @ USF (4 this year)
vs Central Florida / @ Cincinnati: Cincy (4 last year)
@ East Carolina / vs East Carolina: @ ECU (5 this year)
vs Temple / @ Tulane: Temple (6 this year)
@ Boston College / vs Houston: BC (7 this year)
vs Tulane / @ Temple: Temple (5 last year)

By my calculations this season schedule is tougher.
Wouldn't argue any of your calls except saying this years BC team is a tougher game than last years 13 win Houston team. Regardless the outcome, that Houston team has to be viewed as a tougher out. IMO

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This time a year ago the upcoming trip to Missouri looked like it would have been among our toughest games ever. It may be a bit premature to compare the quality of opponents we haven't seen yet with those we've already played.

Reaction Score
This time a year ago the upcoming trip to Missouri looked like it would have been among our toughest games ever. It may be a bit premature to compare the quality of opponents we haven't seen yet with those we've already played.
But but but..... all the talking head pronosticators will be out of a job. It's preseason (Cept for last nights Aussie game) it's what we do til game time. :cool:

Reaction Score
Wouldn't argue any of your calls except saying this years BC team is a tougher game than last years 13 win Houston team. Regardless the outcome, that Houston team has to be viewed as a tougher out. IMO
BC on the road just might have the edge, Eagles had #1 defense last season despite lackluster win totals and offense. For UConn, BC just might be stiffer competition...

Reaction Score

The only argument that could have been made for UCONN v. Louisville at the time re: football was that we beat them in that moment. If you ignore academics, they were WAY ahead of UCONN in terms of facilities, etc. By $200M+.

We've gone through this so many times - and I know people hate LV, but academics aside, I'd have picked LV also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom