Was Florida State Screwed by the Committee? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Was Florida State Screwed by the Committee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fraudabama spits the bit. They looked like crap on the road against G5 USF, needed a miracle to beat a sub .500 Auburn and lost at home to Texas.

It was a joke they made it and thank goodness they lost.

SEC. It just means more*

*Unless they lose then there's an excuse for losing.
Worst Saban team in a really long time. They really shouldn't have been playing tonight.

Reaction Score
Worst Saban team in a really long time. They really shouldn't have been playing tonight.
FSU was the more deserving team. Georgia was the better team. But Alabama beat Georgia and so Alabama had to get in, and Texas beat Alabama, so Texas had to be in, and the CFB needed an SEC team.

If they genuinely wanted the four best teams, everyone would have picked Georgia. Instead, it was an absolute clown show that did more the discredit CFB than anything since UCF being snubbed twice, the Alabama-LSU rematch title, and USC-OU-Auburn debacle, and the weird FSU-ND reversals 30 years ago.

Oh wait, that's a lot of things... hmm...

The 12-team playoff is great. It's unfortunate it didn't happen years ago when it should have and instead has come about after the obliteration of regional conferences.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Second semifinal has been entertaining. Both teams with some costly mistakes. Now THIS is the version of Penix we saw the first half of the season. Absolutely money on deep throws. Maybe he's been banged up for a couple months and the time off helped him get healed up.

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
Well, I had a separate post about this issue but circling back to this - Georgia has nearly all starters play in this game - few sat due to draft.

Florida State had tons miss the game.

It’s hard to feel bed for FSU getting passed over for the C. Playoffs. They lacked commitment of their players.

It’s ever harder not to smirk as the once great ACC that passed us over and over again appears to be on a downward trajectory and will soon be pulled apart at seams.
They also had a huge number of portal players starting this season. Essentially rental players who weren’t very committed. So they reap what they sowed.

Reaction Score
Second semifinal has been entertaining. Both teams with some costly mistakes. Now THIS is the version of Penix we saw the first half of the season. Absolutely money on deep throws. Maybe he's been banged up for a couple months and the time off helped him get healed up.
Entertaining day for college football. Penix looks good. Love the catch by Polk.

Reaction Score
How? And why is it the school's fault for the players going their own way?
Why is everyone so on the side of players opting out? Like, if we gonna pay the players, least they can do is play the game.

The bowls are a bait and switch. They take FSU, and get the FSU JV.

For some reason, American fans are fascinated with tournaments. If there isn’t a tournament, it isn’t worth while.

I don’t know where it goes. Maybe they should kill bowl system. I don’t get why that makes people happy, but there is a weird thing about bowls that people don’t understand.

Soccer teams play friendlies all the time. And, the game are exciting. Are we to believe that Liberty playing the fiesta bowl is meaningless for Liberty?

Reaction Score
Why is everyone so on the side of players opting out? Like, if we gonna pay the players, least they can do is play the game.

For some reason, American fans are fascinated with tournaments. If there isn’t a tournament, it isn’t worth while.

I don’t know where it goes. Maybe they should kill bowl system. I don’t get why that makes people happy, but there is a weird thing about bowls that people don’t understand.

Soccer teams play friendlies all the time. And, the game are exciting. Are we to believe that Liberty playing the fiesta bowl is meaningless for Liberty?
If players were paid to play, you'd see a lot less opt outs, but there are still a lot of schools reluctant to let that happen.

This is the system that conferences and schools have created. You cant blame the players for taking advantage of it after they were exploited for 50 years plus

Reaction Score
If players were paid to play, you'd see a lot less opt outs, but there are still a lot of schools reluctant to let that happen.

This is the system that conferences and schools have created. You cant blame the players for taking advantage of it after they were exploited for 50 years plus
Exploited how? The vast majority of schools playing football lose money.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is an EPIC meltdown by Washington. Texas still has a lot of work to do, but it is like Washington is throwing the game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is an EPIC meltdown by Washington. Texas still has a lot of work to do, but it is like Washington is throwing the game.
Unbelievable clock mismanagement.

It should've never come to that though. They were absolutely dominating this game, but just weren't putting the points on the board to put it away. That 3 and out drive when they were up 13 and called 3 consecutive sand lot plays was asinine.

But they hung on. They do this every game. Sweating bullets til the clock hits double zeroes. Every game.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable clock mismanagement.

It should've never come to that though. They were absolutely dominating this game, but just weren't putting the points on the board to put it away. That 3 and out drive when they were up 13 and called 3 consecutive sand lot plays was asinine.

But they hung on. They do this every game. Sweating bullets til the clock hits double zeroes. Every game.
Exciting finish for me although I was pulling for Washington, I am not a big fan. I agree the game didn't have to be that close especially after that interference call on the punt. What was the Washington player thinking?

I believe Penix was 11 for 12 in the third quarter. His receiver missed his last throw at the end of the third which should have been caught. Nice game for Penix.

Two good games to close out the day and hopefully we have a good championship game next week.

Reaction Score
Exciting finish for me although I was pulling for Washington, I am not a big fan. I agree the game didn't have to be that close especially after that interference call on the punt. What was the Washington player thinking?

I believe Penix was 11 for 12 in the third quarter. His receiver missed his last throw at the end of the third which should have been caught. Nice game for Penix.

Two good games to close out the day and hopefully we have a good championship game next week.
At least the SEC is watching from home.

Reaction Score

Players exploited for 50 years?
U serious?

Where did that line of thought come from?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Hopefully about half these bowls disappear. The mandatory ticket buys for each school is going to start costing athletic depts even more money. and with budgets tightening at many schools the justification of a bowl game being a door step for Americans to see and view a university as a whole becomes a harder sell to university administrations.

Outside the CFP bowl games, I'd be fine with 5-10 other bowl game so the top 30-40 schools have one more game. I'd love to see something where bowl games pit schools against each other for bowl bids based on guarantees from schools promising a coaching staff and full line up rather than interim coaches and a roster depleted by the portal. Make the pay day to the university contingent on the university committing a real staff and roster to the bowl game.

I'm sure ESPN and their programming needs view it differently than I view it.

Reaction Score

Man I wish I could have been exploited like that.

Reaction Score
Players exploited for 50 years?
U serious?

Where did that line of thought come from?
Man I wish I could have been exploited like that.
How much value did players create to schools over the last 50 years? How much of it did they receive back?

I mean how many professions are there were you can't even monetize your likeness.

Reaction Score
“The bowls have been in decline for a decade.”

And yet the number of bowls is at/near an all time high. So I guess ESPN is showing money losing bowl games as a good deed of stimulating the economy?

Reaction Score
A 12 team playoff will have the top teams potentially playing 3 games to win it all.

Football is such a violent sport with such a high risk of injury, that you will see top players sit out in the playoffs. And if you are 2nd or 3rd string and are transferring, will you stick around for practices and games where you might get hurt in garbage time?

Unless the sport figures out a way to get the players to play every game, we are no where near done with players no-showing for the postseason.

Agree with this. College football, and soon after basketball, needs to get to a structured professional model very quickly. It is what it is....and that's professional athletics, so structure it that way.

Holds no interest to me or a lot of fans I suspect, but that's besides the point at this stage of the game.

Reaction Score
I have many of the same emotions but I have to remind myself that the concept that misery loves company is beneath us. Move on, move forward. Dwelling on how the mighty have fallen makes us lose sight of the fact that Rule #1 is likely in force until it is not, and that UConn is likely gonna get spanked in the first game of 2024. Probably best to start worrying about UConn's season and Maryland than worrying about realignment and ending up wallowing in self pity all next season when Rule #1 asserts itself once again.
Well, I am going to give myself a break on this one - what else are we going to do this time of the year? Hard not to notice / comment as the ACC sinks to new lows…

For us older husky fans getting left out of original realignment stings like it was yesterday. Pittsburgh stuck a fork in Big East and then BC finished us off once they were in the ACC.

I am already thinking about next season. I am excited for Cole to arrive on campus this month, attend some BB games, and get his academics started. In many ways, he has potential to right the ship. If he can succeed a lot more recruits we need will be in our orbit.

Reaction Score
The team that lost in overtime ?
That convincingly beat unanimous #1 Georgia?

This is the thread of epically bad takes.
This wasn't the drive-by you thought it was. This is Saban's worst team since his first season at Bama, the 2010 team would've curb stomped these guys.

Reaction Score
Agree with this. College football, and soon after basketball, needs to get to a structured professional model very quickly. It is what it is....and that's professional athletics, so structure it that way.

Holds no interest to me or a lot of fans I suspect, but that's besides the point at this stage of the game.
What do you mean by a structured professional model?

Reaction Score
What do you mean by a structured professional model?

Collective bargaining with the players to include compensation, salary caps, trading deadlines, etc. Rules that are well defined and understood. I have to believe that will break off the 40-50 programs that can afford that structure (probably the SEC and BiG). The remaining programs will play college football in a more traditional way, although their best players will get siphoned off to the big boys.

Totally sucks, but I don't see how anything else really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom