Warriors Single Season/ Curry 400 3's | The Boneyard

Warriors Single Season/ Curry 400 3's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
first quarter Curry has 6 - 3's, just needs 2 more, on the bench for second so far.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He was pulling up from the midcourt logo, Bazz vs. UK-style.

I think I need to watch the '14 title game again. Or maybe the win over Sparty? Can't decide...

Reaction Score
1 more, could get it before the half, GS have a great bench too behind AI (Iguodala), Speights, Livingston, and Barbosa.

Reaction Score
Curry is taking some bad shots. Why make it hard? Unless he wants #8/400 to be deep for history.

Reaction Score
Curry is taking some bad shots. Why make it hard? Unless he wants #8/400 to be deep for history.

Crazy part about it is..those are the shots he always takes and makes. He did mention that if he was close to 400 that he was gonna chuck up a bunch lol shouldn't take him long in the 3rd qtr to hit that number.

caw

Reaction Score
Other-worldly:

In retrospect it's a bit crazy how it has taken for a team to put such an emphasis on the three. I know that's not the only thing about Steph, and that's not my point.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
In retrospect it's a bit crazy how it has taken for a team to put such an emphasis on the three. I know that's not the only thing about Steph, and that's not my point.

You realize it's not easy to just have a team 'put emphasis' on the 3, right? Any team could shoot threes, but it won't matter if you don't make them. You need have 2 of the best 3-pt shooters of all time, and the Warriors do. You can't argue that... just look at the numbers.

Reaction Score
Incredible.

The question is: does this record become like Nolan Ryan's strikeouts in a season -- never to be matched again, or like Peyton Manning's passing yards in a season -- part of a trend that makes it easier to surpass in subsequent years?

Either way, it's an absolutely unbelievable achievement. He makes some of the toughest shots you take in HORSE look trivial.

Reaction Score
The 3 pt shot in basketball is equivalent to the passing game in football, back in the 80s few teams would even take 5 3's in a game 10 was a lot for one team back then.

caw

Reaction Score
You realize it's not easy to just have a team 'put emphasis' on the 3, right? Any team could shoot threes, but it won't matter if you don't make them. You need have 2 of the best 3-pt shooters of all time, and the Warriors do. You can't argue that... just look at the numbers.

Yes, you can't just have people pump out volume shots.

Let me put it this way, Steph has attempted 200+ more this season than any player ever.

As an example, Steve Kerr shot 45.4 percent in his career but never averaged over 2.9 attempts per game. In a full season that's less than 246 attempts. Curry is at near 900. Kerr is not Curry but it's amazing it took so long to put emphasis on the three. If Kerr were playing now I would put money on him averaging more than 3 attempts from three.

Even Ray, who played more recently didn't surpass 700 attempts in a season.

Reaction Score
Perhaps we should start a Warriors/Curry Nuthugger subforum.
I'd be all for it if you and all of your future screennames would be blocked from it. You crying and throwing a temper tantrum in every Warriors/Steph related thread became old well over a year ago.

Reaction Score
Bringing this back around to us for the upcoming year, with a weak front court and guard oriented team we are going to need the 3 badly to keep us competitive. I think Jalen's ability to do it is going to be critical, and I think he can. ( he should be working on them nonstop) Maybe KO can find us a Curry in the rough.

Reaction Score
Yes, you can't just have people pump out volume shots.

Let me put it this way, Steph has attempted 200+ more this season than any player ever.

As an example, Steve Kerr shot 45.4 percent in his career but never averaged over 2.9 attempts per game. In a full season that's less than 246 attempts. Curry is at near 900. Kerr is not Curry but it's amazing it took so long to put emphasis on the three. If Kerr were playing now I would put money on him averaging more than 3 attempts from three.

Even Ray, who played more recently didn't surpass 700 attempts in a season.

I looked up Bird's attempts from 3 and the numbers are staggering. Larry Bird

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yep. Bird bad 649 3's in his career. Steph has more than that in the past two seasons.

Bird led NBA in 3's made in 85-86 with 82. Led it in 86-87 with 90 3's.

The time are a changin'.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Makes you wonder if Curry and 3 pointers will be like stolen bases were before and after Ricky. Henderson had a 15 year run where his ability to get on base via hit or walk totally changed the flow of an inning. More teams will try to do what GS is doing, but there's a fine line where diminishing returns become a high risk. There's only a dozen or so players in the world who can shoot as good as Steph. But they don't have his ball handling, conditioning, passing, etc.

Reaction Score
Makes you wonder if Curry and 3 pointers will be like stolen bases were before and after Ricky. Henderson had a 15 year run where his ability to get on base via hit or walk totally changed the flow of an inning. More teams will try to do what GS is doing, but there's a fine line where diminishing returns become a high risk. There's only a dozen or so players in the world who can shoot as good as Steph. But they don't have his ball handling, conditioning, passing, etc.
Interesting comparison, I think more apt than the NFL passing game, because like RickyH, Curry is a truly unique athletic talent that is extending the limits of what is possible. You can't see Curry's skill in the same obvious stand-out way of Ricky's raw athleticism, but Curry is both unique and breaking a barrier. It is kind of like the 4-minute mile and as Curry proves you can shoot more 3's and shoot them accurately from greater distance others can accept the possibility.

The game is changing because of the confluence of analytics, rules and 3-pointers being around for so long that now kids are practicing shooting from distance very early. Larry Bird never heard of a 3-point shot until he was in the NBA.

Curry has some very unique physical gifts that are hard to quantify, its almost like a Pedro Martinez or Ron Guidry ability to throw 99MPH despite slight of stature - a rare and almost impossible to replicate gift for coordinating movements. And I think Curry and Thompson have a unique mental advantage having grown up playing in NBA arenas as children and are somehow hyper-acclimated to shooting well in those environments.

So though I expect Curry's records to last, I also expect lots of players to surpass the old records and 3-pt shooting quantities, accuracies and distances will continue to increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom