Warde's long, strong ties to Parker Exec. Search | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Warde's long, strong ties to Parker Exec. Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that we shouldn't accuse WM of incompetence or corruption without knowing the facts.

Hmmmm.... that is an interesting take.

:)

He might be hearing a lot of "Maybe - let's wait and see"...the reality is, for the top candidates, there will be competition, and after some other guys get fired, we are not necessarily the most attractive job out there.

Reaction Score
Nice use of an ad hominem attack. Next, try calling me a Nazi.

At all costs, deflect from the fact you made accusations without any insight or facts.

If you aren't ignorant, tell us about the times you've been involved in the hiring of a big time coach.

I'm all ears.

Oh good, way to elevate the discussion by putting defending PP in the same ballpark as being a Nazi.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Oh good, way to elevate the discussion by putting defending PP in the same ballpark as being a Nazi.

Well done.

Keep the focus off the accusations you made without proof or insight.

Keep making it about me.

At all costs, don't admit that you might have gone too far. At all costs, don't let this get into a fact-based discussion - you'll just be exposed.

Reaction Score
We're not in the same boat as those other schools. They all are in a position to select their number one choice and make an offer.

Sounds to me that there is some competition for our targets. We need all the info we can get to stay competitive in the bidding war.

See, I think that is the nut issue here, Zoo. IMO This job is a lot higher on the food chain than people on this board are giving it credit for. I think only an elite few (Frost, Smart) are in the "won't consider" group.

Reaction Score
If you were an in demand coach you would almost be foolish to accept a job right now, everyone is probably in a wait and see mode.

Reaction Score
At all costs, don't let this get into a fact-based discussion - you'll just be exposed.

Louisville, Washington State, Wisconsin and Arizona did not use search firms for their last football hires and Minnesota didn't use one for their hoop hire. Sure we'll have more examples as the days go on. These aren't facts?

Reaction Score
See, I think that is the nut issue here, Zoo. IMO This job is a lot higher on the food chain than people on this board are giving it credit for. I think only an elite few (Frost, Smart) are in the "won't consider" group.

And you're wrong again. If our #1 choice wanted to come here, we would have already hired him by now.

This job will be behind every P5 opening. And there will be more openings.

Reaction Score
If you were an in demand coach you would almost be foolish to accept a job right now, everyone is probably in a wait and see mode.

Totally agree. Wouldn't expect a Lembo to commit now, but bet his agent (assuming he has one) is all over it. The Dec. 7-8-9 time frame is going to be very, very interesting.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Louisville, Washington State, Wisconsin and Arizona did not use search firms for their last football hires and Minnesota didn't use one for their hoop hire. Sure we'll have more examples as the days go on. These aren't facts?

Those are facts. There are others that did use search firms, like Alabama with Sabin.

The debate isn't whether or not a search firm is a good idea or not.

Now, show us the facts that back up this claim you made:

"It's pretty obvious reading this story and others that Manuel's retaining of Parker (if true) for this search will be used to boost Warde's career if/when he moves on from UConn. "

sdhusky

Reaction Score
what said this without a whiff of proof or insight?

"throwing 50-100K of other people's money at a company that on paper is being paid to help your school find a coach (something some people actually manage to do their own), but in reality is also a payoff to keep a relationship going that you hope will lead you to a better job down the road. "

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Wouldn't expect a Lembo to commit now, but bet his agent (assuming he has one) is all over it. The Dec. 7-8-9 time frame is going to be very, very interesting.

He most certainly has an agent LOL. Good grief. Your problem is that you think this is a transparent and simple process.

Reaction Score
And you're wrong again. If our #1 choice wanted to come here, we would have already hired him by now.

This job will be behind every P5 opening. And there will be more openings.

Let's say it's Lembo. You think he would quit in mid-November? . . . . . Off the top of my head I can't think of a college coach who bailed on his team that early. Now that would be terrible form.

As we obviously disagree on the search firm thing, we're going to have to disagree that this is the No. 67 job in the country.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
No one is saying Warde is doing 'sleazy' stuff.

When you said "a payoff to keep a relationship going that you hope will lead you to a better job down the road."

You weren't implying something sleazy?

Great. Thanks for clearing that up.

But to me, it seems like you are backing away from what you wrote.

I wonder why? Did you someone pay you to back off? Who? Why?

Reaction Score
He most certainly has an agent LOL. Good grief. Your problem is that you think this is a transparent and simple process.

I assume he has an agent. Believe it or not some coaches don't. Like colleges that don't use search firms. . . .And believe me I get the shadowy Spy vs. Spy netherworld part of this process

Reaction Score
Louisville, Washington State, Wisconsin and Arizona did not use search firms for their last football hires and Minnesota didn't use one for their hoop hire. Sure we'll have more examples as the days go on.

Ruskin - it's easy to find exceptions. Each situation is different dependent on timing, sports, past practice, direction by BOT/President, money available, etc.. .

This is what I consider a critical comment from the SBJ article: "As a result, searches often take place in secrecy. There’s plenty of potential embarrassment on all sides, including media and fan incredulity that a team owner would need outside help to hire a coach or even a president. Search firms provide plausible deniability in case a candidate contacted for a high-profile position turns out not to want it. And they keep the process confidential."

Last thing we need is publicly being turned downed by the first three choices...

Reaction Score
Let's say it's Lembo. You think he would quit in mid-November? . . . . . Off the top of my head I can't think of a college coach who bailed on his team that early. Now that would be terrible form.

As we obviously disagree on the search firm thing, we're going to have to disagree that this is the No. 67 job in the country.

It's probably worse than that. But it will be offset by what we are willing to pay.

And if Lembo was #1 and we had agreed to terms there would be no need for a search firm.

Reaction Score
what said this without a whiff of proof or insight?

"throwing 50-100K of other people's money at a company that on paper is being paid to help your school find a coach (something some people actually manage to do their own), but in reality is also a payoff to keep a relationship going that you hope will lead you to a better job down the road. "

Sports Illustrated.

Another criticism Carr and others make is that search consultants are inclined to place athletic directors who they think are likely to later hire them for coaching searches. Parker has participated in at least 40 athletic-director searches. There is no denying that the company has gotten repeat business from ADs it placed. For instance, in June 2011, Illinois paid Parker $30,000 to assist in the search for an athletic director, a job that went to Mike Thomas, who was previously at Cincinnati. About nine months later, Thomas retained Parker to help him find a men's basketball coach—Ohio's John Groce—for which the firm was paid $90,000. A similar sequence of events took place among Parker-placed athletic directors at Arizona State, Iowa, Iowa State, Mississippi State, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Washington and elsewhere. But beyond the timing of the transactions, there is no proof of collusion.

"Repeat clients are standard in the search business," Wilder says. "If you build a relationship and if you do quality work, people ask you to do quality work again. Just speaking about Parker, there has never been an environment where we say we will put you in as a candidate if you do this."

Carr didn't mention Parker in his critique of the industry, but he insists that handshake deals are common. "The process of hiring coaches and athletic directors should be more of a meritocracy than it is today," Carr says.

Carr didn't mention Parker in his critique of the industry, but he insists that handshake deals are common. "The process of hiring coaches and athletic directors should be more of a meritocracy than it is today," Carr says.

Reaction Score
I assume he has an agent. Believe it or not some coaches don't. Like colleges that don't use search firms. . . .And believe me I get the shadowy Spy vs. Spy netherworld part of this process

Name an FBS coach without representation.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Sports Illustrated.

That is your quote. You are just backing off it now.

So, the burden of proof you required to make the charge that WM is using UCONN money to "payoff" a search firm for his own benefit is:

an article in SI???

I had no idea your proof was so rock-solid and impeachable.

Reaction Score
Last thing we need is publicly being turned downed by the first three choices...

Agreed. But Warde seems to be a pretty savvy guy (unlike his predecessor). I think he's fully capable of reading the signals and moving on before it got to that point. He better have counted the votes (and gotten the agent's green light) before making the offer.

Reaction Score
Name an FBS coach without representation.

Imagine there's a few floating around at bottom of MAC/CUSA/MWC/Sun Belt. 125 guys can't imagine it's 100 percent. But P5 level proably true

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Agreed. But Warde seems to be a pretty savvy guy

Are you suggesting that WM might know more about this process than you???

Wow.

I guess we ought to trust the savvy guy's decision to use a search firm.

Reaction Score
Agreed. But Warde seems to be a pretty savvy guy (unlike his predecessor). I think he's fully capable of reading the signals and moving on before it got to that point. He better have counted the votes (and gotten the agent's green light) before making the offer.

It's even before an interview/offer is made... How does "it's been reported that UConn's AD Warde Manuel has been rebuffed by his first three choices for the vacant UConn Football Coaching job" play in the media.?

Reaction Score
Imagine there's a few floating around at bottom of MAC/CUSA/MWC/Sun Belt. 125 guys can't imagine it's 100 percent. But P5 level proably true

I would be shocked if every last one of them did not have an agent. You might find an interim guy that may not have one. But it's pretty standard to have one. Again, I don't think you understand this game.

Reaction Score
That is your quote. You are just backing off it now.

So, the burden of proof you required to make the charge that WM is using UCONN money to "payoff" a search firm for his own benefit is:

an article in SI???

I had no idea your proof was so rock-solid and impeachable.

I guess I'm speaking to someone unfamilar with the use of sources and interviews in news sotories. . . .sigh.. . . Clairfying. It's this guy. And say hi to Uncle Paul

Bill Carr
consulted on his first search in 1989, as an employee at Raycom Management Group. He left Raycom in 1993 to become athletic director at Houston, but he returned to consulting four years later and founded Carr Sports Associates (now CarrSports Consulting). Few people have been in the business as long as Carr, who is troubled by trends in the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom