Warde to CBSSports: 'Move on' from realignment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde to CBSSports: 'Move on' from realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Expand the friggin' stadium already. Curtain off 10,000-20,000 seats for the annual snooze fest games against Tulane, Memphis and SMU if you must. But be prepared for the next eventual wave of CR (not to mention the needed bait to lure top OOC competition while we wait in limbo) with a 50,000-60,000 seat stadium.

Reaction Score
It is what it is. If we win we will get personal satisfaction as fans. Nothing else. I find the notion that we can win our way out of this conference silly. Win and enjoy the games and learn to accept that we are part of a conference that doesn't matter. In basketball we can make noise in the NCAA tournament and suspect we will as long as we have Ollie. In football I would be happy if our conference champ got to play the MWC conference champ.

Personally I have this fantasy that Chip Kelly is going to flame out in the NFL, come to UConn and establish us as an East Coast Oregon type with a high scoring offense.

The fact is, you get more fans if you win in a crappy conference than if you lose in a good conference.

East Carolina, Boise St, TCU, BC, Pitt, Duke, Wake Forest, are all a testament to this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why isn't UConn in another conference? Questions like that are a marketing opportunity->

Why isn't UConn in another conference?

"Well that's certainly surprising, [insert name here.] UConn owns more MBB national championships than any other university that was affiliated with the Big East. No other program can match our 3 NCs since 1999. In football we won our conference twice and went to BCS game despite playing at the BCS level for less than 10 years. Even in down year for us we still had 5 players drafted to the NFL. A lot of programs who have been playing longer can't match that. The WBB team has an incredible 8 NCs and counting. We own two NC in soccer and two more in Field Hockey. We just won the Big East Conference in track, and our baseball team had a deep run in the post season last year. Of course you know that we are joining Hockey East and have just hired an outstanding young coach who we think will lead us into being very competitive there. I could go on but let's just say that things have never looked brighter for the our teams and our athletes.

Academically the university is shining as well. We are well established as the number one university in New England, and of course we have an incredible presence in NYC. Our state legislature is committed to investing in the school to continue its meteoric rise academically.

So to sum up, I guess I can't really say why UConn wasn't chosen in the most recent round of conference realignment, but what I can say is the University of Connecticut has long stood for excellence on the field and in the classroom. That's who we are. I have every confidence that will continue regardless of how conference realignment plays out."

Reaction Score
Why isn't UConn in another conference? Questions like that are marketing opportunity->

"Well that's certainly surprising, [insert name here.] UConn owns more MBB national championships than any other university that was affiliated with the conference. No other program can match our 3 NCs since 1999. In football we won our conference twice and went to BCS game despite playing at the BCS level for less than 10 years. Even in down year for us we still 5 players drafted to the NFL. A lot of programs who have been playing longer can' match that. The WBB team has an incredible 8 NCs and counting. We own two NC in soccer and two more in Field Hockey. We just won the Big East Conference in track, and our baseball team had a deep run in the post season last year. Of course you know that we joining Hockey East and have just hired an outstanding young coach who we think will lead us into being very competitive there. I could go on but let's just say that things have never looked brighter for the our teams and our athletes.

Of course academically the university is shining as well. We are well established as the number one university in New England, and of course we have an incredible presence in NYC. Our state legislature is committed to investing in the school to continue its meteoric rise academically.

So to sum up, I guess I can't really say why UConn wasn't chosen in the most recent round of conference realignment, but what I can say is the University of Connecticut has long stood for excellence on the field and in the classroom. That's who we are. I have every confidence that will continue regardless of how conference realignment plays out."

Everything you said is right on and every league commissioner and team president already knows it.

I guess it couldn't hurt to remind people though.

Reaction Score
Why isn't UConn in another conference? Questions like that are marketing opportunity->

"Well that's certainly surprising, [insert name here.] UConn owns more MBB national championships than any other university that was affiliated with the conference. No other program can match our 3 NCs since 1999. In football we won our conference twice and went to BCS game despite playing at the BCS level for less than 10 years. Even in down year for us we still 5 players drafted to the NFL. A lot of programs who have been playing longer can' match that. The WBB team has an incredible 8 NCs and counting. We own two NC in soccer and two more in Field Hockey. We just won the Big East Conference in track, and our baseball team had a deep run in the post season last year. Of course you know that we joining Hockey East and have just hired an outstanding young coach who we think will lead us into being very competitive there. I could go on but let's just say that things have never looked brighter for the our teams and our athletes.

Of course academically the university is shining as well. We are well established as the number one university in New England, and of course we have an incredible presence in NYC. Our state legislature is committed to investing in the school to continue its meteoric rise academically.

Absolutely point on and then CBS would have unceremoniously edited it out ;) - doesn't fit their narrative.

Reaction Score
The American... They couldn't come up with a better branding?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

"Well that's certainly surprising, [insert name here.] UConn owns more MBB national championships than any other university that was affiliated with the conference. No other program can match our 3 NCs since 1999. In football we won our conference twice and went to BCS game despite playing at the BCS level for less than 10 years. Even in down year for us we still 5 players drafted to the NFL. A lot of programs who have been playing longer can't match that. The WBB team has an incredible 8 NCs and counting. We own two NC in soccer and two more in Field Hockey. We just won the Big East Conference in track, and our baseball team had a deep run in the post season last year. Of course you know that we are joining Hockey East and have just hired an outstanding young coach who we think will lead us into being very competitive there. I could go on but let's just say that things have never looked brighter for the our teams and our athletes.

Academically the university is shining as well. We are well established as the number one university in New England, and of course we have an incredible presence in NYC. Our state legislature is committed to investing in the school to continue its meteoric rise academically.

(*Applause*)I find it amazing that a random guy on the Boneyard can come up with 200 times the answer that the schools athletic director. even if conference presidents know this, fans of the big 5 conference might not. For all we know, after learning the facts about Uconn maybe other schools fans will be impressed.(ex:UM)

Reaction Score
Absolutely point on and then CBS would have unceremoniously edited it out ;) - doesn't fit their narrative.

There was obviously a narrative in place since the headline didn't jibe with what Manuel said.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

"Well that's certainly surprising, [insert name here.] UConn owns more MBB national championships than any other university that was affiliated with the conference. No other program can match our 3 NCs since 1999. In football we won our conference twice and went to BCS game despite playing at the BCS level for less than 10 years. Even in down year for us we still 5 players drafted to the NFL. A lot of programs who have been playing longer can't match that. The WBB team has an incredible 8 NCs and counting. We own two NC in soccer and two more in Field Hockey. We just won the Big East Conference in track, and our baseball team had a deep run in the post season last year. Of course you know that we are joining Hockey East and have just hired an outstanding young coach who we think will lead us into being very competitive there. I could go on but let's just say that things have never looked brighter for the our teams and our athletes.

The University should seriously consider anonymously posting all press inquiries to the BY before responding. This place consistently provides better responses to the questions being asked of them.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CL82

Reaction Score
That's why you script talking points and go over them with everyone who is likely to speak publically. You get a single consistent message from everyone, every time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Pretty solid comments. Clearly winning is a big priority this year.

Agreed. I don't have an issue with anything he said. He basically gave the Al Davis answer "just win baby". I suppose he could decline interviews like this, but does that help UConn more than being featured in this CBS piece? I don't think so.

Increasingly I think Warde is an angry man, that inside he is pissed and intends on beating the ever loving snot out of everyone at everything. The hockey hire was a damned good one. Weiss was a good move. The scheduling has been agressive in football and basketball. I think PP will need to win 7 to stay on. There will be pressure to win across the department.

Reaction Score
The motto to P, if you're not winning, your leaving.

Reaction Score
Oh man Warde! And to think that I praised you in thr other thread for ignoring the FIRST article on CBS and now you go and do this.....man....

I must admit he can't run away from them all but I'd rather see us go the Cincy route of saying we're doing all we can because we don't wanna be in our current situation for long.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That's on target. Now add a truly rising star coach for football, make the games exciting and maybe this stall pattern gets fixed.

Reaction Score
That's why you script talking points and go over them with everyone who is likely to speak publically. You get a single consistent message from everyone, every time.

Agree completely.

Reaction Score
(*Applause*)I find it amazing that a random guy on the Boneyard can come up with 200 times the answer that the schools athletic director. even if conference presidents know this, fans of the big 5 conference might not. For all we know, after learning the facts about Uconn maybe other schools fans will be impressed.(ex:UM)

It's actually significantly harder to give a well-articulated answer in the middle of an interview rather than a well-thought out talking point. Not sure if you've ever been interviewed, but unless you're a professional media-type, it can be difficult to do, honestly.

Reaction Score
*shrug*

No one wanted us. What's he gonna do? It is what it is. And believe me it's taken me a long time to accept where we are, and accept that it's not Warde's fault or Susan's fault, but it's done and we just gotta move forward now.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's actually significantly harder to give a well-articulated answer in the middle of an interview rather than a well-thought out talking point. Not sure if you've ever been interviewed, but unless you're a professional media-type, it can be difficult to do, honestly.
Unless you are groomed to do it. Anyone who speaks on behalf of the university should be. For what it is worth, this skill ought to be right in the wheelhouse of any AD of a major university.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Why isn't UConn in another conference? Questions like that are a marketing opportunity->

"Well that's certainly surprising, [insert name here.] UConn owns more MBB national championships than any other university that was affiliated with the Big East. No other program can match our 3 NCs since 1999. In football we won our conference twice and went to BCS game despite playing at the BCS level for less than 10 years. Even in down year for us we still had 5 players drafted to the NFL. A lot of programs who have been playing longer can't match that. The WBB team has an incredible 8 NCs and counting. We own two NC in soccer and two more in Field Hockey. We just won the Big East Conference in track, and our baseball team had a deep run in the post season last year. Of course you know that we are joining Hockey East and have just hired an outstanding young coach who we think will lead us into being very competitive there. I could go on but let's just say that things have never looked brighter for the our teams and our athletes.

Best post on BY in many months. Nice work. Why is it so hard for some here to recognize when Warde speaks, our image actually suffers?

Please find a way to forward this to Susan's new PR person.

Reaction Score
Unless you are groomed to do it. Anyone who speaks on behalf of the university should be. For what it is worth, this skill ought to be right in the wheelhouse of any AD of a major university.

Maybe. Have you watched many AD interviews? There are probably 10 or 20 who are great, and the rest?

I mean, did you ever hear Jeff Hathaway talk out loud?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Exactly

CL82

Reaction Score
Maybe. Have you watched many AD interviews? There are probably 10 or 20 who are great, and the rest?

I mean, did you ever hear Jeff Hathaway talk out loud?
If you want your organization to be the best, aim for the top ( or in this case the top 10 or 20) not the worst. UConn's AD really ought to have those communication skills. If he doesn't come that naturally, we ought to have him work with a pro until he does. In my experience, some people at born with these skills, but pretty much everyone can develop them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you want your organization to be the best, aim for the top ( or in this case the top 10 or 20) not the worst. UConn's AD really ought to have those communication skills. If he doesn't come that naturally, we ought to have him work with a pro until he does. In my experience, some people at born with these skills, but pretty much everyone can develop them.

He communicated just fine. He just didn't communicate the message you wanted him to. There's a difference between having the skill set and using it in a way that makes posters on the BY happy. Nobody who has ever held the job at UConn made BYers happy, so I'm not sure why this is a suprise.

Reaction Score

Excellent post, but all of that doesn't speak to the reasons we were passed over. It wasn't because folks were ignorant of our athletic success, or even our academic climb. It's nice to recount our achievments but any AD who did that in an interview would get a lot of rolled eyes and interuptions by the interviewer. He'd be seen as gilding the lilly (To adorn unnecessarily something already beautiful.) Making our case involves answering questions about cable rates, viewership, SNY ratings, the economics of standard cable versus a sports tier, bundling opportunities and the number of incremental households UConn brings to the equation compared to the others. Those are more of the elements (there are others) that appeared lacking compared to Rutgers and Louisville, who, by the way, also happened to display more of an all-in commitment to football and the moxie in tough economic times to spend money on stadium expansion before ticket sales would have suggested.
If Warde can logically and accurately make the case on the "numbers" that we are superior in those cable market metrics to Rutgers or Louisville he should be seeking out the media and reaching as big an audience as he can. If, however, we don't yet measure up on those aspects, he should do exactly what he's doing- smiling, saying he's happy with our home (for now), and staying focused on getting us to the promised land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom