Warde talks UConn at Michigan presser | The Boneyard

Warde talks UConn at Michigan presser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Freed from the icy bonds of propriety towards the American Conference, Warde speaks the truth.

Thought the same thing when I watched it. No more tired "we are a proud member of the AAC" rhetoric that everyone at UConn has to say. The truth. UConn is a P5 school by every metric possible and it was very classy of Warde to start his press conference by saying that.

Reaction Score
This helps big time. If he had left for an ex-Big East pretender (pick the school - Syracuse, BC or, god forbid, Louisville), it would have hurt.
But it was Michigan that hired him because he was successful here and they admired what he did. Obviously, Michigan looks at UConn as a success and a good example.

I think he'll keep reminding his B1G brethren that UConn deserves to be in a p-5 conference.

"Why not the B1G?"

Reaction Score
Understand the politics with the AAC but you gotta love hearing Warde tell it like it is!

55744109.jpg

Reaction Score
By the bye, every one of Warde's comments at the presser had to be vetted by Michigan's SID or President's office. Obviously, the higher ups at Michigan approved of him starkly asserting that UConn belongs in a P-5 conference. It never would have been mentioned by him without at least tacit approval to do so from his new bosses. When Michigan believes we belong, I don't think it will be long before we get the nod. Let's hope B1G!

Reaction Score
By the bye, every one of Warde's comments at the presser had to be vetted by Michigan's SID or President's office.
Trust me, praising his employers at UConn and saying they belonged in a P-5 conference was not a comment that had to be blessed by UM before it was delivered.

Reaction Score
Interesting thought nonetheless. Knowing that his boss would be present, Warde very well may have asked Schlissel if he would mind the plug for UConn.

Reaction Score
The reason I find it interesting is he didn't have to mention the P5 thing at all, he could have just said he had a wonderful time here, there are wonderful people, the teams were very successful, we won 6 national championships, and leave it there, but instead he felt the need to add that. It may be an innocuous comment but interesting none the less.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He just reiterated the P5 statement at the women's BBC game.
Here's the article for that:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...11e5-b933-31c93021392a_story.html?tid=twisira

No direct quotes, but a telling paraphrase:

Warde Manuel says he will be an advocate for the University of Connecticut’s fight to get into a Power Five conference in his new job as athletic director at Michigan.

Manuel will take over at Michigan in March. He spoke to the UConn media at halftime of the school’s women’s basketball game against Memphis on Saturday.

He says UConn has the academic and athletic success to rival any Power Five school and will be successful whether it becomes a member of one of those leagues or stays in the American Athletic Conference.

Reaction Score
Wards wants to help the uconn community. However, he also has to be aware that his legacy at UConn is largely based on the outcome of realignment.

Reaction Score
That was for UMD alumni and fans to read. Dominos are lining up. :D

Reaction Score
The reason I find it interesting is he didn't have to mention the P5 thing at all, he could have just said he had a wonderful time here, there are wonderful people, the teams were very successful, we won 6 national championships, and leave it there, but instead he felt the need to add that. It may be an innocuous comment but interesting none the less.
With Warde no public comment is innocuous, it's measured & calculated. Part of his makeup & the job description.

Reaction Score
He's been all class about this. It shows his love for UConn that he hasn't made that usual all business type of departure. All you have to do is watch him as Boat charged up the court with the ball in the last 5 seconds of the 2014 title game to see he was emotionally invested. You don't see that from ADs often.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs:

It also had to make UConn faithful happy that, on Friday in Michigan, Manuel said, "[UConn] already, because of its success, deserves to be in a Power Five conference, and I hope to see that soon."
Asked about that Saturday, Manuel said, "I don't know how close we are. It's not like I had any magic statement. It's just what I believe. I believe our success already puts us at that level, the top tier of universities in this country."

Exactly how hard will be push for UConn to get into the Power Five?

"I've got a job to do for Michigan, right?" He said. "At the appropriate points in conversation about it, certainly I will talk highly, very highly of UConn. I try not to mince words. … I don't say things I don't believe. I believe in this place.

"The success we've athletically had [six national titles during his tenure] speaks for itself. The prestige of the university academically speaks for itself. The fans we have, media households in close proximity to us, our dominance in the New York market when we go down there to play — there's so many positives."

He took great pains not to insult the American Athletic Conference, which he insisted is a "great" conference.

"I don't want anybody to take my words and say because we're not in the Power Five we're still second-class citizens," Manuel said. "I have never approached this job that way. I don't talk much about [the Power Five]. Some people criticize me for not talking a lot about it. I just don't think you talk about it and all of a sudden an application appears."

Manuel had the punch line that if you don't let UConn in, the Huskies will beat you anyhow. Yet his real point is that a school has to continue having success and an application could one day appear.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-jacobs-column-0131-20160130-column.html

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's been all class about this. It shows his love for UConn that he hasn't made that usual all business type of departure. All you have to do is watch him as Boat charged up the court with the ball in the last 5 seconds of the 2014 title game to see he was emotionally invested. You don't see that from ADs often.

He's a ball player. He gets it. I think it's one of the things Michigan sees in him. He knows the kind of support that student athletes need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom