Warde speaks | The Boneyard

Warde speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I hope he's just playing coy. If I had to guess, I'd say this whole process is one of those back channels, closed door deals. By staying vanilla in his interviews, I hope he's earning some cred!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This really pisses me off:

Dom Amore@AmoreCourant
Manuel on #UConnmen recruiting: "JiCalhoun in hisprime lost recruits. Kevin is going to win and lose. Never know what hurts in recruiting,."

If Manuel are going to create this ridiculous situation, he should at least take responsibility for what happens. What a dick.

Reaction Score

Dom Amore@AmoreCourant
Manuel on #UConnmen recruiting: "JiCalhoun in hisprime lost recruits. Kevin is going to win and lose. Never know what hurts in recruiting,."

If Manuel are going to create this ridiculous situation, he should at least take responsibility for what happens. What a dick.

I agree in a sense, but he's also right. I myself am content to wait until spring, we'll do better

Reaction Score
I agree, he's a bust so far and will be a legacy if we get passed by

Dom Amore@AmoreCourant

Reaction Score

Dom Amore@AmoreCourant

Wow, that really sounds like he is hoping Ollie fails. Maybe I'm reading way too much into that, but a simple "this situation will sort itself out shortly" would have been good.

Reaction Score
This is potentially the biggest week in UConn sports ever and Warde is in the Virgin Islands? I would have hoped he was working the phones full time, slicing and dicing data for conferences, lobbying friends, reaching out to major donors,... In my mind, this is a major fail.

Reaction Score
Just so you know, they recently got phones and even electricity in St. Thomas. Warde can make his calls from the Hard Rock downtown.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Ollie wins 20 games this year, he will cost at least a million a year and he may tell Warde to go f himself. I would if I was Ollie.

Reaction Score
Just so you know, they recently got phones and even electricity in St. Thomas. Warde can make his calls from the Hard Rock downtown.

I was gonna say...don't cell phones work in the VIs? :) I'm pretty sure he can also forward his office phone to his cell. And these aren't new ideas!!

Reaction Score
This is potentially the biggest week in UConn sports ever and Warde is in the Virgin Islands? I would have hoped he was working the phones full time, slicing and dicing data for conferences, lobbying friends, reaching out to major donors,... In my mind, this is a major fail.

My hope is that he has been working the phones for the last 6 months. Has a full presentation prepared already, is calling everyone he knows at Michigan and BC and is prepared to promise stadium expansion and whatever terms will dictate our future. I don't like that he's in VI but i think Susan is probably taking all calls at this point anyway.

Reaction Score
If Ollie wins 20 games this year, he will cost at least a million a year and he may tell Warde to go f himself. I would if I was Ollie.
You, know I've been thinking that Ollie is going to be a pretty good head coach, the question is, is it going to be at his alma mater or is it going to be someplace else?

Reaction Score

Gosh...it sounds like you really don't know the man! Yes...he will win a lot of games...but, he won't be swearing at Warde and he will sign to stay at UConn for many years!

Reaction Score
Ollie just donated $100,000 to the basketball facility. Do you really think he'd turn down an offer to be the long-term coach at UConn?

Amazingly, that's not even the most bats**t insane thing that's been posted on this board in the last five minutes. The UConn to the Big 10 scenario definitely takes the cake on that one.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You, know I've been thinking that Ollie is going to be a pretty good ****ing head coach, the question is, is it going to be at his alma mater or is it going to be someplace else?

I like what I see so far, but I don't know if Ollie will be a good coach or not. I do know that Manuel is handling this situation terribly with this public humiliation of Ollie, and is undermining Ollie and damaging the program by handcuffing Ollie's ability to recruit. Now, in a final insult, Manuel refuses to take responsibility for any of it.

It looks like Manuel is a mistake.

Reaction Score
I agree in a sense, but he's also right. I myself am content to wait until spring, we'll do better

How can you agree? "Never know what hurts in recruiting."

We know what hurts. I mean, what can't help hurts.

Reaction Score
How can you agree? "Never know what hurts in recruiting."

We know what hurts. I mean, what can't help hurts.

Because kids make the decisions they make. Even the best recruiters win some and lose some, and you can never hang your hat on any one recruit. It's a crap shoot and kids make bad decisions.

Any kid choosing PC over Uconn is testament to that.

That said, obviously Ollie's contract is not good for recruiting, and obviously Warde is the one that controlled that contract.

Reaction Score
Wow, that really sounds like he is hoping Ollie fails. Maybe I'm reading way too much into that, but a simple "this situation will sort itself out shortly" would have been good.

You need to read the whole thread on Twitter or interview in context before jumping to conclusions. There was more than that...

Edit - Here's the Dave Borges take of the same convo: http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/

Edit - Here is Dom's Piece: http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-men-notebook-1120-20121119,0,7014575.story

Now judge to be fair...

Reaction Score

Dom Amore@AmoreCourant

right, but if we were 2-2 right now and playing in the consolation round of the tournament, he'd be praised for offering a short contract.

the ball has happened to bounce our way so far this year, but overall playing it safe was the right move.

Reaction Score
Because kids make the decisions they make. Even the best recruiters win some and lose some, and you can never hang your hat on any one recruit. It's a crap shoot and kids make bad decisions.

Any kid choosing PC over Uconn is testament to that.

That said, obviously Ollie's contract is not good for recruiting, and obviously Warde is the one that controlled that contract.

I already wrote about all the other recruits and didn't blame them on Manuel. But here we are, the only big guy recruit we have hasn't even sent his LOI in, and the deadline is about to pass. Lose a guy to PC too!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I already wrote about all the other recruits and didn't blame them on Manuel. But here we are, the only big guy recruit we have hasn't even sent his LOI in, and the deadline is about to pass. Lose a guy to PC too!

I'm going to propose there be a pinned topic: Upstater wants Ollie signed long term.

We. Get. It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer