Warde Optimistic re: Athletic program future | The Boneyard

Warde Optimistic re: Athletic program future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wish I could completely share his enthusiasm, but I did like the following quote:

"It has never been an excuse at UConn and it's not going to be an excuse going forward. I'm not going to start crying, 'Oh, there are a lot of people making more money than us.' You know what? There are a lot of teams making more money than us that never won anything. Quote me on that."

Reaction Score
I'm not as hard on WM as most. The guy's been on the job about a year now. He's not going to walk in and cure cancer. That said, what do people expect the AD to say here? You expect Warde Manual to go all freescooter?

Reaction Score
Probably offered up that quote right after brushing up his resume.

Reaction Score
Probably offered up that quote right after brushing up his resume.

Think it's the first brash statement he's made so far...as opposed to his previous monitoring of the various situations.

Reaction Score
He deserved credit for admitting he was wrong and JC was right about KO. He did do much for the football program so far.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
so warde wants us to quote him on a simple fact every fan knows. we make less money then other teams. ok, just wrote that down. now what warde? how about we get a quote from u about how we play football on grass like other teams also but our grass isn't as nice or something? am i doing this right?

Reaction Score
Think it's the first brash statement he's made so far...as opposed to his previous monitoring of the various situations.
Pfft, now would have been a better time to hear he is monitoring the changing landscape , except it doesn't seem its changing to much and we are on the outside looking in. The time for brashness was earlier, not now.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Quote is fine. It's probably what he should say. But it still rubs me the wrong way, because it ignores the fact that winning future championships becomes much more difficult when UConn has been demoted from a have to a have not. We can complain that the world changed around us, but really, we've been demoted, again and again, over a period of years. Why should we be ok with that? I want UConn to be 'in best. I want us to play the best and beat the best... Not just sit back and light up a cigar to our past success. They can say all they want that our new conference mates are peers, but they play us for fools every time they waste their breath on those statements.

The lack of urgency is sad, mind boggling, and pisses me the hell off all at once.

It's ok though. We'll just win. As if no one else has ever tried that strategy. And a lot of good winning has done for us to this point.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He deserved credit for admitting he was wrong and JC was right about KO. He did do much for the football program so far.

He was not wrong on KO, nor did he admit any mistake. He actually handled the situation as well as anyone could have expected.

Ollie was an assistant with exactly two years of coaching experience, but because Coach Calhoun pulled a Dean Smith, he should automatically be treated as royalty? What if Ollie the OOC bed with a 5 year contract? What if Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, or another up and comer was available? That's a second hefty buy-out in the span of 6 month. It worked out perfectly. One recruit lost does not a class make, and it looks like Ollie is doing just fine, especially with Hobbs back on the staff.

For a team that only lost R.J. Evans, the Elite 8 is not an unreasonable base expectation, with a National Championship on the outside. I hope Ollie is the answer and he's going to have lofty expectation next year as well as going forward. Lets see how he handles it.

Reaction Score
Quote is fine. It's probably what he should say. But it still rubs me the wrong way, because it ignores the fact that winning future championships becomes much more difficult when UConn has been demoted from a have to a have not. We can complain that the world changed around us, but really, we've been demoted, again and again, over a period of years. Why should we be ok with that? I want UConn to be 'in best. I want us to play the best and beat the best... Not just sit back and light up a cigar to our past success. They can say all they want that our new conference mates are peers, but they play us for fools every time they waste their breath on those statements.

The lack of urgency is sad, mind boggling, and pisses me the hell off all at once.

It's ok though. We'll just win. As if no one else has ever tried that strategy. And a lot of good winning has done for us to this point.

If we win, UConn will be fine.

Since 2003, when the ACC first raided the Big East, UConn has won 2 NCAA men's basketball championships, 5 NCAA women's championships, and played in one BCS bowl. I don't think the conference hurt performance and I don't think it will hurt going forward, but, we will need some new strategies:

Football: we have to play interesting OOC opponents to supplement the existing AAC schedule. This may be harder than I think, especially with the Big 10 going to 9 conference games, ND locked into 5 ACC games/year, and Big 12 and Pac 12 already at 9 conference game schedules. Warde will have to earn his keep here. Also, I don't think Houston, SMU, Tulsa, UCF, USF, Navy, and Cinci are going to be easy football games. I don't know why people think we can dominate the AAC. If PP doesn't win this year (I think he needs 8 wins), bring in a dynamic coach to re-energize the program.

Men's Basketball: We need to boost the OOC schedule and we are doing it now. Getting quality games should be much easier than in football. We will be a top 3 team every year in the AAC. We should still be able to compete for NCAA titles.

Women's Basketball: Again, improve OOC schedule, which will not be a problem. We should still be able to compete for NCAA titles.

Marketing: The goal should be to build the fanbase. There is no excuse to not have every football game sold out.

Fans: We need to step up and support UConn which means attend more events, generate buzz among your friends, push politicians to support UConn athletics, watch the games on TV to improve ratings, and donate more money.

Reaction Score
If we win, UConn will be fine.

Couldn't disagree more. Winning doesn't mean !

We have like 100 Big East titles across all sports, a dozen or so national championships

Rutgers is like 0 for 100 years in every sport
Cuse can hang their hat on 2003
WVU?? did they share a football title in the early 90's?
BC....zip

'Ville is on a great run and good for them....but there is way more at play than simply winning games and/or titles

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Face it, at this point Warde is going to get grilled for every public statement he makes.

That being said, this was not the time for this. Bold statements were needed months ago. This just rings hollow with me.

I've said this before but Warde and Susan don't bleed TRUE Blue.

She's a Dookie and he's a Michigan man. UCONN is a job to them, not a lifelong passion.

Not to say they aren't trying, but in 5-10 years when they've moved on, you really think UConn having to Tulsa is going to bother them?

Reaction Score
Face it, at this point Warde is going to get grilled for every public statement he makes.

That being said, this was not the time for this. Bold statements were needed months ago. This just rings hollow with me.

She's a Dookie and he's a Michigan man. UCONN is a job to them, not a lifelong passion.

Not to say they aren't trying, but in 5-10 years when they've moved on, you really think UConn having to Tulsa is going to bother them?

So the only good school administrators are ones that work at their Alma Mater?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So the only good school administrators are ones that work at their Alma Mater?

No, but the emotional attachment just isn't there.

I look at Oliver Luck at WVU and think if we had a UConn version of him maybe we wouldn't be in this mess.

I think the angriest I got at Warde was when Louisville was killing us in the battle of public perception and when asked if UConn deserves the invite, he says "yes, but I'm biased."

How we're we not screaming our accomplishments from the mountain tops. we wait until now too make tough guy comments?

Reaction Score

Look, nobody is going to say our conference situation is ideal, but I do think we will be fine if we win. Fans will come to football, basketball... games if we win. Money can be raised from many sources to make up for our media contract. If we are winning, people, the state, and corporations will be more than willing to support the program.

By the way, the future schedules at the Rent are better than what we have ever seen. Does anyone remember the first few years the Rent was open? Look at these home schedules:

2003: Indiana, BC, Lehigh, Akron, Western Michigan, Rutgers.
2004: Murray St., Duke, Army, Pitt, West Virginia, Temple, Buffalo.
2005: Buffalo, Liberty, Syracuse, Rutgers, USF, Louisville.
2006: URI, Wake Forest, Navy, Army, West Virginia, Pitt, Cinci.
2007: Maine, Temple, Akron, Louisville, USF, Rutgers, Syracuse.

By the way, these years were either sold out or mostly sold out.

Look at 2013 to 2015:

2013: Towson, Maryland, Michigan, USF, Louisville, Rutgers, Memphis.
2014 (possible): BYU, Stony Brook, Boise St., Cincinnati, UCF, Temple, SMU.
2015 (possible): Villanova, Tennessee, USF, East Carolina, Tulane, Houston.

Clearly, the next three years are better than anything we have seen at the Rent.

Reaction Score
He said what he had to say. He can't say "We're f#*ked. I hate to be the guy who presided over the demise of UConn athletics, and if I knew this would happen, I'd have stayed in Buffalo..." But winning championships, as CTMike pointed out above, just got much, much harder. Scheduling got harder, particularly in football but also in basketball. NCAA seedings just got more difficult because our RPI is automatically worse just by taking the floor against some of those teams. And ask some of the better mid-majors how many top teams want to schedule them, particularly at their place. Well, guess what? We just became one of those teams. Our best hope is to play big teams at neutral sites.

Look, this isn't going to happen tomorrow, but it will be a gradual sinking. You win the conference and go 32-4 but find yourself a 3 seed rather than a 1. Or you have a pretty good team that ends up as a 12 instead of an 8, or having to play in rather than getting a full bid. You find yourself not showing up in the top 10 pre-season even with really good teams. It will just be progressively difficult. On the football side it will also be tricky. In some ways there is more upside, but not too much more. If we win a lot of games, we have hope. And there will be media pressure to include us in serious post season games. But we need to put really really good teams on the field year after year. Face it, hom many people are travelling to Birmingham ALA to watch UConn play the Sunbelt Champ in the Tidee Bowl Bowl or what ever 2nd tier games th eAAC ends up with? I don't know how to evaluate womens basketball. As long as Geno is there I don't see a falloff, but when he steps down, we could see a similar process of drifting downward. It is just a very depressing future. It wouldn't be so bad had we not had a taste of the big time.

Reaction Score

I have gotten blasted for saying exactly this. Susan is looking to parlay this job into an Ivy League presidency,and if a Big Ten school called tomorrow, Manuel would be in West Lafayette or Bloomington or Evanston before he hung up the phone. She doesn't care that much about athletics. He takes his cues from her and doesn't plan to rock the boat. They have been completely and totally out maneuvered on conference realignment not just by Louisville, who demonstrated how an AD who is put in charge does it, but by the Catholic 7, Notre Dame and even the AAC people.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this has been posted before:

www.fakeasthedayisdawn.com/story/Manuel-does-the-happy-dance

On a gray day in late November, Susan Herbst took a moment from her busy schedule to seek out Warde Manuel in his office deep in Gampel Pavillion. Manuel in the week prior had been working on a complex funding initiative for a basketball practice facility, as well working on coaching contracts, funding memorandum, and the dozens of other tasks that a Division I athletic director must perform. According to interviews with friends, associates, business colleagues, and administrators across the country, the tenacity and doggedness that Manuel devoted to securing UConn's future created something of mythic, yet tragic figure, in the often-closed world of college athletics.

"He [Manuel] would call me in the middle of the night with ideas and suggestions," said one UConn staffer who didn't want his name used for this story. "He was relentless. I turned to my wife one time after hanging up my cell and said to her, 'he doesn't sleep, I don't know how he does it.'"

That meeting in Manuel's office initially concerned a proposal to build a student recreational center. It was only supposed to be a ten minute meeting. But as the day's events unfolded the ten minute meeting dragged on from morning until late in the afternoon, and late into the evening. "We ordered breakfast, lunch, dinner desert, and then breakfast again" quipped another staffer privy to the meeting.

And the reason for the meeting's sudden change of direction soon became apparent to staffers who idly waited outside while Herbst and Manuel discussed what was thought to be the student center. While Herbst and Manuel huddled in Manuel's office over preliminary plans for the recreational center, Ms. Herbst's phone buzzed. It was Rachel Rubin, Herbst's Chief of Staff and trusted confidant. Herbst sent the call to voicemail. Within seconds, Manuel's phone buzzed, too. Manuel answered it. Herbst, who normally takes a stern view of meeting interruptions, softened that view once Manuel put the phone down.

Word had just broken that the Big Ten, led by its long time commissioner, Jim Delany, had invited the University of Maryland from the Atlantic Coast Conference and Rutgers University, from the Big East, to move their sports to what is widely considered the most powerful and lucrative of the NCAA athletic conferences.

Immediately Herbst enlisted the help of Rachel Rubin who first called Larry McHugh and Mary Anne Handley, two of the most respected UConn power brokers. Manuel called his entire staff into the meeting, including Doug Gnodtke, his top aide who followed Manuel from the University of Buffalo. Gnodtke took it upon himself to prepare Manuel's office for "Herbie's War" as the fight to ensure UConn's place in conference expansion was affectionately called. "His office really became a war room," one source said.

Computers from the recently added academic center were brought in, as were two 40" high defnintion monitors used by the baseball team to conduct swing analysis. One was quickly tuned to ESPN while the other carried a live twitter feed of various administrators, schools, conference officials and journalists. Gnodtke called Michael Lubatkin, a Professor in UConn's School of Business who had been helping UConn prepare and refine a comprehensive business plan that showcased UConn's benefits to prospective conferences. Robert Burton, UConn's most prolific donor was hunted down playing golf at Rock Ridge Country Club in Newtown. Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma, UConn's two most iconic and popular coaches were summoned. So were Governor Dannel Malloy (D) and his Chief of Staff, Tim Bannon.

What happened next was a testament to the work ethic and respect among his peers that Manuel commands.

That night at the hastily called meeting of the most important decision makers at the University of Connecticut, Herbst turned to Manuel and intoned to him, "Play it now, my rock star. Play it like you have never done before. " Herbst had just handed off to Manuel one of the most complex and important issues facing UConn,-it's future conference home, and the tens of millions of dollars in tv revenue that that entailed. When she said this to Manuel, sources at the meeting say that Manuel took it upon himself to remove his coat. He violently flung it to the ground, hopped up on the chestnut conference table that dominated his office, and exclaimed, "Strut your stuff, strut your stuff, UConn can't get enough!"

Part Two
Manuel Chills in the United States Virgin Islands

Sadly the above is a work of fiction. It is only for entertainment purposes. It is utter nonsense and is devoid of anything remotely representing reality. The events depicted above are as fake as UNC's classes. I repeat, what is written is not true. Please don't sue me. I just picked random names of people that I remember and put fake stuff into their mouths because it totally sucks to keep reading real news that sucks.

Reaction Score
Hasn't Warde been AD since March 2012? If I'm correct then yeesh. If I am wrong then nevermind.

Reaction Score
He said what he had to say. He can't say "We're f#*ked. I hate to be the guy who presided over the demise of UConn athletics, and if I knew this would happen, I'd have stayed in Buffalo..." But winning championships, as CTMike pointed out above, just got much, much harder. Scheduling got harder, particularly in football but also in basketball. NCAA seedings just got more difficult because our RPI is automatically worse just by taking the floor against some of those teams. And ask some of the better mid-majors how many top teams want to schedule them, particularly at their place. Well, guess what? We just became one of those teams. Our best hope is to play big teams at neutral sites.

Look, this isn't going to happen tomorrow, but it will be a gradual sinking. You win the conference and go 32-4 but find yourself a 3 seed rather than a 1. Or you have a pretty good team that ends up as a 12 instead of an 8, or having to play in rather than getting a full bid. You find yourself not showing up in the top 10 pre-season even with really good teams. It will just be progressively difficult. On the football side it will also be tricky. In some ways there is more upside, but not too much more. If we win a lot of games, we have hope. And there will be media pressure to include us in serious post season games. But we need to put really really good teams on the field year after year. Face it, hom many people are travelling to Birmingham ALA to watch UConn play the Sunbelt Champ in the Tidee Bowl Bowl or what ever 2nd tier games th eAAC ends up with? I don't know how to evaluate womens basketball. As long as Geno is there I don't see a falloff, but when he steps down, we could see a similar process of drifting downward. It is just a very depressing future. It wouldn't be so bad had we not had a taste of the big time.
you are right. I'm sure someone had the same thoughts when Babe Ruth retired from the Yankees. How could they possibly find success?

Reaction Score
Well, except for the fact that the Yankees were the wealthiest franchise, at least in the American league, at the time, and the fact that the Babe didn't retire from the Yankees, who had traded him to the Boston Braves to finish out his career where it began. The yanks realized that his skills were deteriorating, he had hit 288 with 22 homers in 1934 his last year with them, and the Braves needed to sell tickets, their owner went bankrupt half way through the season. But other than those facts, it is a great comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom