Warde Manuel should be fired | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel should be fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've given him the benefit of the doubt earlier on because Pasqualoni wasn't his hire and he came here at a difficult time but I can no longer defend him. He hasn't done anything of note since he's been here and things are getting worse in a hurry. Not canning the clown Pasqualoni and letting this old fool continue to make the same bs statements is setting our program back so much. I'm absolutely disgusted with what's going on here.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. He's lucky Calhoun forced his hand or he likely would have hired Al Skinner to replace him. Seriously Warde, enough is enough. Do something, anything.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm simply not impressed by the man

he took forever to get behind Ollie, and sticking with an epic failure for football is just stupid

from where I'm sitting, he's got it backwards

an incredibly weak showing thus far, no fighting during CR (just silence)

when it's time to lead, he disappears

Reaction Score
Warde was hired to be the maintenance man. Men's and women's basketball were in the hands of hall of fame coaches. Football had hired a coach that would maintain the momentum. UConn was still going to play in the Big East. A new media contract would help fund the growth of the athletic department.

Instead, the UConn job has turned out much more of a challenge then everyone expected when Warde was hired. Conference realignment went against UConn. The new media contract was very disappointing. Calhoun retired earlier than expected. The football coach hire ended up being a disaster..

The real question is if the powers to be at UConn understood the challenges that were coming would Warde have been hired in the first place? Now that the challenges are apparent, is he the right person for the job?

Reaction Score
The only logical explanation for PP still being around, if he is, is Larry McHugh. I could imagine Warde already wants him out.

His hire for hockey is solid.

Reaction Score
The only logical explanation for PP still being around, if he is, is Larry McHugh. I could imagine Warde already wants him out.

His hire for hockey is solid.
The more I hink about this whole thing the more I agree with your post Butch. It is the only thing that makes any sense.

Reaction Score
The person to blame for PP is no longer here, so I don't understand the hatred for Warde. He needs to fire PP but to get fired for PP screw ups is ridiculous
Bill we can go after Larry McHugh though!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that P getting fired is a matter of when, rather than if and I am very confident that we will be early to the market or a new HC.

I know exactly how it benefits those of us on the boneyard if we get to see blood tomorrow vs waiting until late November but I'm guessing that SH & WM are having discussions on who beyond the boneyard benefits if the we cut the cord now or in ~ 50 days. The overall weight of all of the pssoble benefits will be what drives the decision on when.

Reaction Score
I believe that P getting fired is a matter of when, rather than if and I am very confident that we will be early to the market or a new HC.

I know exactly how it benefits those of us on the boneyard if we get to see blood tomorrow vs waiting until late November but I'm guessing that SH & WM are having discussions on who beyond the boneyard benefits if the we cut the cord now or in ~ 50 days. The overall weight of all of the pssoble benefits will be what drives the decision on when.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. The real question is could it become a total collapse if PP is let go now as there really isn't an obvious interim coach candidate.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Besides Butch's good point, the only other reason I can see for PP not having been fired yet is Warde working the phones for some financial commitments from boosters for the buyout and for a new coach. That said, if he hasn't felt the need to line up donors for a new coach yet that in itself is a terminable offense.

In any event, I just don't understand how not making a move is beneficial. Every single coach is going to spend the next two weeks worried about their resumes and working with their agents, and will not do a damn thing to beat USF (fortunately their coaches are doing the same thing). At least if you fire PP, then name someone interim and announce you will consider that person's body of work for the rest of the season re: the HC job, you might get a pulse. Now, that last part should be a straight, bold-faced lie (we need to get outside this mess for a new coach) - but you still say it. At minimum that person is auditioning for a job elsewhere. As it stands now, we are completed fukced.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
The person to blame for PP is no longer here, so I don't understand the hatred for Warde. He needs to fire PP but to get fired for PP screw ups is ridiculous

He brought PP back. He didn't want KO. He was in the USVI.

I have periodically defended him on here (maybe for scheduling? don't recall), but this is just too much.

Reaction Score
Boycott the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce which is a joke anyways. It's the most powerful chamber in one of the most business unfriendly states in the US - brilliant Larry. Get a Chairman of a major corporation with some big bucks.

Reaction Score
I'd even take Warde firing GDL right now. Go straight to the ehart of the problem and give it a swift kick in the a_s_s out the door! But if he does that is the perception he is a micro-manager dilute his candidate pool?

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score

I won't reiterate my post above, but the weight of benefit is now on firing. Elevating anyone to HC, where they will at least be auditioning for jobs elsewhere, will give us a better shot at not being embarrassed (I have given up on winning) than allowing this marauding side-show to continue.

Reaction Score
I'd even take Warde firing GDL right now. Go straight to the ehart of the problem and give it a swift kick in the a_s_s out the door! But if he does that is the perception he is a micro-manager dilute his candidate pool?
That was a move for last year. Firing GDL is just another punt of responsibility at this point. Just proves again there is no leadership. I kind if agree that the ultimate snake in the pile is McHugh who must be pressuring Herbst and Manuel. There is no good reason for this inability to do the obvious.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think you are right. The real question is could it become a total collapse if PP is let go now as there really isn't an obvious interim coach candidate.
It already is a total collapse

Reaction Score
That was a move for last year. Firing GDL is just another punt of responsibility at this point. Just proves again there is no leadership. I kind if agree that the ultimate snake in the pile is McHugh who must be pressuring Herbst and Manuel. There is no good reason for this inability to do the obvious.
Then Someone has to call him out in the papers on this issue...he definitely has ownership of it! But then again he doesn't pay for his tickets or a seat donation for ANY athletic event so WTF does he care!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He brought PP back. He didn't want KO. He was in the USVI.

I have periodically defended him on here (maybe for scheduling? don't recall), but this is just too much.

If I recall correctly, he even dragged his feet on the Geno Auriemma contract extension. Some might think that was not a big deal, but it allowed time for speculation that Ohio State was courting him, and it probably drove the price up on the final five-year deal. Geno's worth the money, but another example of Warde not being a "rock star". Still, I could forgive him of all his past transgressions if he did the right thing here on the football side...

....but it's 6:05pm, and PP is still the coach...

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
In the corporate world: UConn would be taken over, SH/WM/PP etc. would all be out on their collective a&&e&, and their stock incentives would be worth trash. Instead, that triumvirate continue to collect about $3M per year, plus perks, to reign over this mess.

Not: I am not a huge corporate defender in all things.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, he even dragged his feet on the Geno Auriemma contract extension. Some might think that was not a big deal, but it allowed time for speculation that Ohio State was courting him, and it probably drove the price up on the final five-year deal. Geno's worth the money, but another example of Warde not being a "rock star". Still, I could forgive him of all his past transgressions if he did the right thing here on the football side...

....but it's 6:05pm, and PP is still the coach...

Yup, there is that too. But at least our hockey is going to be top flight :confused:. Seriously, we are going to invest many tens of millions into hockey, about a quarter of which would be enough to save our entire athletic department by righting the football team.

And we won't even start to talk about how Ray Reid has packed it in the past view years.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Completely disgusted that PP is still our head coach. Shows the country that 0-4 is acceptable at UCONN. Lose to Towson at home? No problem. Get blown out by friggin' Buffalo? No biggie. Can't beat USF, W Michigan, Temple, etc? Who does?

We need to flood McHugh's email box too if he's the reason Warde isn't pulling the trigger.

Reaction Score

Explain to me the difference between this and a total collapse.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Warde: you listening? Season ticket holders are p&ssed off
Drag your feet at your own peril.
the point system. I may not honor the 3 yr commit and not buy next year.
Send McHugh to my house and try to collect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom