Warde Manuel Is Headed To Michigan | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel Is Headed To Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It had been reported weeks ago that he was a leading candidate. We knew that he interviewed last week and that he was the front-runner. Now it looks like Manuel will be taking the athletic director job at Michigan.

[MORE]

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Well maybe that was the plan to get us in a better conf. He can't do worse than what he already has.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Forgetting our love for UConn, this admittedly represents a huge step up for Manuel. Strictly from an athletics perspective (aside from men's and women's basketball and field hockey), UConn cannot hold a candle to Michigan.

Michigan is in the top 10 every year in the NACDA Directors Cup, ranking the nation's top intercollegiate athletic programs.
More money, more prestige, a ridiculous athletic budget, returning to his alma mater... a no-brainer, really.

Reaction Score
UConn will always be a stepping stone, never a destination job. We're the equivalent of flyover country.

Reaction Score
UConn will always be a stepping stone, never a destination job. We're the equivalent of flyover country.

But sometimes they get stuck in the flypaper.... like Geno and CD....:)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hope we can find a good replacement. I think he has been very good for Uconn. And I wish him well. I don't see anything specific that needs immediate attention - we have good teams and good coaches in place.

I have never felt that an AD had much impact on getting an invitation to a conference, except should he have a negative impact (other ADs not wanting to work with him/her.) Once in a conference they have more influence, but conference realignment is much more at the presidential and trustee level - making the University appealing beyond athletics. On the ADs plate is getting the right coaches and the proper financial support to make the teams successful and their facilities attractive. Football drives that boat and he seems to have gotten the football hire correct and the team back on an upward track.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well maybe that was the plan to get us in a better conf. He can't do worse than what he already has.
LOL seriously? And what did he do (or not do) that was so horrible? If you are referring to "getting us into a new conference", Herbst has more to do with that than Warde. IMHO people need to stop with this delusion that Warde was a horrible AD. The fact that a top tier program like Michigan swooped in and took him is an indication of how good he is. Also...

New hoops facility? Check
Sign Ollie to long extension? Check
Hire exciting new football coach? Check
Upgrade hockey facility? Check

So what exactly were his egregious shortcomings? Not getting us into a new conference? That's bull to put on him. Oh, and by the way, Geno loves him.

"I try not to get myself involved in all of that stuff. I wish I had a dollar for every idiot who thinks Warde is the reason we are not in the Power 5 (conference). You can't even find the words to describe how idiotic that is. My relationship with Warde professionally is as good if not better than any relationship I've ever had with any AD. My relationship with him personally is as good if not better than any relationship I've ever had with any AD.

"I think he's done a phenomenal job with the coaches where we were to where we are right now and he might still be our AD for the next 10 years. Whether it is the one people are talking about, Michigan, or some place else, he is always going to be in the news. His name is always going to be up there and we should hope that it is because that would mean he is really good at what we does and people want him. If we have an AD or coach that nobody wants than we should be thinking 'maybe this guy or this woman is not that good.' So to sit there and say we are disappointed if his name comes up ... I look at it as everybody has to do what's in the best interest for them, their family, their future, their careers and all the people that Warde is our AD should be happy if he stays and they should be happy if he goes. I personally really enjoy his company and really enjoy what he has meant to our program. Beyond that, this whole Power 5 stuff, people are out of their minds on a lot of this stuff. I wish people would understand that it is bigger than any of us.
"

Anything else?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
LOL seriously? And what did he do (or not do) that was so horrible? If you are referring to "getting us into a new conference", Herbst has more to do with that than Warde. IMHO people need to stop with this delusion that Warde was a horrible AD. The fact that a top tier program like Michigan swooped in and took him is an indication of how good he is. Also...

New hoops facility? Check - really going to credit him for something that was in the works (and funds already raised) for years before he came on the scene?
Sign Ollie to long extension? Check - so we are crediting him for extending the contract of Jim C's handpicked successor after Ollie's overwhelming support from alums & fans?
Hire exciting new football coach? Check - after he kept a terrible coach for an additional year

Upgrade hockey facility? Check

Did not get us into a decent conference - Check

Facts Suck

So what exactly were his egregious shortcomings? Not getting us into a new conference? That's bull to put on him. Oh, and by the way, Geno loves him.

"I try not to get myself involved in all of that stuff. I wish I had a dollar for every idiot who thinks Warde is the reason we are not in the Power 5 (conference). You can't even find the words to describe how idiotic that is. My relationship with Warde professionally is as good if not better than any relationship I've ever had with any AD. My relationship with him personally is as good if not better than any relationship I've ever had with any AD.

"I think he's done a phenomenal job with the coaches where we were to where we are right now and he might still be our AD for the next 10 years. Whether it is the one people are talking about, Michigan, or some place else, he is always going to be in the news. His name is always going to be up there and we should hope that it is because that would mean he is really good at what we does and people want him. If we have an AD or coach that nobody wants than we should be thinking 'maybe this guy or this woman is not that good.' So to sit there and say we are disappointed if his name comes up ... I look at it as everybody has to do what's in the best interest for them, their family, their future, their careers and all the people that Warde is our AD should be happy if he stays and they should be happy if he goes. I personally really enjoy his company and really enjoy what he has meant to our program. Beyond that, this whole Power 5 stuff, people are out of their minds on a lot of this stuff. I wish people would understand that it is bigger than any of us.
"

Anything else?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sorry ctfir, but it's delusional and loony tunes to blame Warde for not getting us into the new conference. But then again, I guess you are smarter than Geno and Susan as well as the Michigan board who hired Warde, and you know all the ins and outs of what Warde should or should not have done. Let us know when you are hired as the next AD so we can all watch you get us into a P5 conference, cuz apparently it's just that easy. :rolleyes:

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Ugh. While I like the idea of it potentially helping us get into the conference, I don't want him at Michigan any more than I want him at UConn. ~gag, vomit~

Reaction Score
If football improves in the next couple years.Diaco will be next.Thank You Warde!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Yeah, look at all the coaches that have left for greener pastures. Randy Edsall and ah, eh...

Reaction Score
Having gone to school and played football at Michigan (teammate of Harbaugh's) was part of the draw too. Hard to blame the guy for leaving to go run the athletic dept. at his alma mater, especially Michigan.

Regarding the, "Why aren't we in a P5 conference?" issue, you can argue all day about whose fault it is, and "What if this?" "What if that?" To me there's one fact that can't be argued, and it's really the only one that matters - the results. I.E. "Are we in a P5 conference or not?"

Reaction Score
I'm sure they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Forgetting our love for UConn, this admittedly represents a huge step up for Manuel. Strictly from an athletics perspective (aside from men's and women's basketball and field hockey), UConn cannot hold a candle to Michigan.

Michigan is in the top 10 every year in the NACDA Directors Cup, ranking the nation's top intercollegiate athletic programs.
More money, more prestige, a ridiculous athletic budget, returning to his alma mater... a no-brainer, really.
I must have missed all of the NCs Michigan has won while Warde has been here.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Sorry ctfir, but it's delusional and loony tunes to blame Warde for not getting us into the new conference. But then again, I guess you are smarter than Geno and Susan as well as the Michigan board who hired Warde, and you know all the ins and outs of what Warde should or should not have done. Let us know when you are hired as the next AD so we can all watch you get us into a P5 conference, cuz apparently it's just that easy. :rolleyes:

lmao - I didn't it was easy. I didn't say he wasn't a nice guy. I just pointed out some facts. Everyone - even uninformed me - is entitled to their opinions, just not their facts.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
It had been reported weeks ago that he was a leading candidate. We knew that he interviewed last week and that he was the front-runner. Now it looks like Manuel will be taking the athletic director job at Michigan.

[MORE]
Well, that looks like the end of women's basketball at Uconn!

HGN

Reaction Score

[MORE]
I really hate to see Manuel leave but I do understand. Nothing is wrong with UConn , but Michigan is his alma mater. And I am sure they offered him a lot more money , which didn't hurt. I wish Manuel well.
Now let's find a great replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01