Warde Manuel expresses interest in expanding the stadium. . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel expresses interest in expanding the stadium. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I love that this:
It's impressive that 3 posts after 10 tweets from HFD you are still the biggest tool on the page. Well done.

Was immediately followed by this:
Didn't I read an article linked on this board that said UConn averaged fewer than 23,000 last year (in the seats, with 30,000 or so average tickets sold)?

If you can't fill 40,000 all the time, isn't paying a small fortune to expand to 50,000 economics so bad that only the Federal Government and Maryland's athletics department would go for it?

Is that the plan? Be as fiscally irresponsible and incompetent as Maryland to make the BeeOneGee hot for you?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We don't know the exact cost or the revenue for the naming rights, so we don't know the financials. We do know that a ticket to the B1G is worth somewhere around $40 million more a year than we are getting now.

Calling it a lottery ticket is BS. UConn is constantly mentioned as a potential candidate and there is one thing alone holding us back. This is a major step toward resolving that.

There are a lot of things that are holding UConn back that are out of our hands. Be it cable tv boxes or the ACC voting bloc against UConn. We deserve to be in the P5 no doubt about it.

What I'm saying ( and what I've been saying all along) is I don't think the expansion will pay for itself even assuming an increase of $2M/ season in added revenue.

UConn would be expanding on the chance the ACC were to expand again or the B1G needed traction to get on cable in NYC - I don't think the size is holding UConn back. It's cable boxes and our on field performance in the P era.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of things that are holding UConn back that are out of our hands. Be it cable tv boxes or the ACC voting bloc against UConn. We deserve to be in the P5 no doubt about it.

What I'm saying ( and what I've been saying all along) is I don't think the expansion will pay for itself even assuming an increase of $2M/ season in added revenue.

UConn would be expanding on the chance the ACC were to expand again or the B1G needed traction to get on cable in NYC - I don't think the size is holding UConn back. It's cable boxes and our on field performance in the P era.

The investment into the stadium is more proof UConn belongs in a P5. If an anti-trust suit were to take place it's one more piece of evidence in our favor.

You can't possibly know if expansion is worth it financially without knowing what revenue will come from naming rights, who will pay for it and how. I don't get the pessimism.

There is too much evidence to the contrary to keep believing that what happened on the field is more important than the investments being made (and discussed) into academics and football respectively

Reaction Score
I think the most important take away is that WM acknowledged publicly the desire to expand the stadium by 10,000 seats. I have to assume he's considered the financials behind such an expansion as well as what it would take to put more people in the stands. I can't see how this would be a negative.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's not UConn's money - if we start selling out the stadium and there's demand, the state will expand the Rent because it will make financial sense to expand the Rent.

Reaction Score
Didn't I read an article linked on this board that said UConn averaged fewer than 23,000 last year (in the seats, with 30,000 or so average tickets sold)?

If you can't fill 40,000 all the time, isn't paying a small fortune to expand to 50,000 economics so bad that only the Federal Government and Maryland's athletics department would go for it?

Is that the plan? Be as fiscally irresponsible and incompetent as Maryland to make the BeeOneGee hot for you?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b6Y63dc7qIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Let me try to respond to you using the same style of childish rhetoric that you seem to speak:

"Isn't investing heavily in football what big-time athletic departments do? Look at Nosedrip Dumb installing field turf and expanding Nosedrip Dumb Stadidumb. They want to impress the football schools of the AcceptsCommunityColleges conference to keep their sweetheart deal in place."

Mods - I'd say it's time to send this child into Boneyard Romper Room to go play with okielite.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Naming rights... Jeez, the GE Aerospace Division at Rentschler Field? I doubt UTC would like that...!

It was bad enough that the Opening Day flyover had planes with GE engines.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Dear Emm Ess Enn Dee Rotating Oscillating Air Mover-

Please, for the love of all things holy, stop spelling out B, 1, G. It is childish, evident of your IQ, and indicative that your posts should not be taken seriously. The correct spelling of the capital letter b is: B. The correct spelling of the capital letter g is; G. Not to mention you are spelling out a logo. Why don't you spell out AiSeeSee or Aye-En-Dee-Ee-Pea-Ee-En-Dee-Ee-En-Tee. How about if every time a non-Rotating Oscillating Air Mover of The University of Notre Dame du Lac referred to your mascot as Angry Short Tempered Ethnic Gaelics with a Propensity for Pugilism? Doing it once is not bad, but to have to read it over and over is boring. As far as I'm concerned your opinion does not hold water whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Naming rights... Jeez, the GE Aerospace Division at Rentschler Field? I doubt UTC would like that...!
GE sold its aerospace division in 1993. I guess somebody who just likes the ring of "GE Aerospace" could want to name it that but why spend all the money?

Reaction Score

Why not just break into your neighbor's house and take a dump in his living room? Honestly, that sounds like your kind of fun. Plus, I bet your neighbor would be a lot more pissed than we are, which seems to be your purpose. Another thought, change your handle to "trainwreck" cause the only reason anyone has to read your nonsense is the same as why people have trouble looking away from any disaster.

Reaction Score
What am I missing? Why the collective for going from 40K to 50K? I mean I'm happy to see the continued interest in investing in our sports programs but isn't it just a case of us becoming a taller midget stadium size wise?

Reaction Score
What am I missing? Why the collective for going from 40K to 50K? I mean I'm happy to see the continued interest in investing in our sports programs but isn't it just a case of us becoming a taller midget stadium size wise?

When the stadium is built out to it's originally designed 50,000 permanent seating capacity, which to my understanding would mean a 52,450 or so sell out capacity, REntschler will be the largest dedicated FBS/D1A college football stadium in all of New England and New York State.

(Yale bowl has been the biggest college football venue in the same region since it's construction over 100 years ago, but they stopped playing football at division 1A in 1982-83.)

That is a nice title to have for the athletic department and football program, when it comes to being attractive both in recruiting and scheduling.

Reaction Score
BeeOneGee

Out of curiosity, why do you say this instead of B1G or Big 10? I mean I understand you don't like that conference and you use it pejoratively, but how is "BeeOneGee" in any way insulting or ... even creative for that matter? Why is that funny to you?

pj

Reaction Score

The supposition is that the university presidents who make realignment decisions are busy people who form snap judgments and are most moved by simple statistics like average attendance. So if instead of selling out at 40k you get 48k in a 50k stadium, you raise average attendance on the year by 3k, that might tip the decision. It also demonstrates commitment, a willingness to make investments, in football. Also it demonstrates a fan base that is not limited to 40k.

If it tips the balance in realignment, it brings in $18 to $40 mn per year, so it would clearly be a good investment. If.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
It's too bad they couldn't get a concession on the naming rights out of UTC when the state just forked over $400M to them this week.

I'd say UTC more than stepped up in DONATING 150 acres to the State for the stadium and parking.

Without UTC, there is no RENT and there is no Realignment Forum on the BY.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I'd say UTC more than stepped up in DONATING 150 acres to the State for the stadium and parking.

Without UTC, there is no RENT and there is no Realignment Forum on the BY.

That's fine, but I can guarantee that if the state made that a simple condition - to give up naming rights a few years early - I doubt they would care. It's not like it is called UTC field, nobody knows that Rentschler is related to UTC except a few people up here. And they can still have the right of first refusal, and object for reasonable reasons (e.g. GE Aviation Field).

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
That's fine, but I can guarantee that if the state made that a simple condition - to give up naming rights a few years early - I doubt they would care. It's not like it is called UTC field, nobody knows that Rentschler is related to UTC except a few people up here. And they can still have the right of first refusal, and object for reasonable reasons (e.g. GE Aviation Field).

Don’t disagree. UTC’s vested interest in supporting UConn overall and its efforts at the Rent in particular remains as strong as ever.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Don’t disagree. UTC’s vested interest in supporting UConn overall and its efforts at the Rent in particular remains as strong as ever.

Then maybe we should approach them now about naming rights...we can use that money sooner rather than later for expansion. Plus, after just getting a nice $400m subsidy, I'm sure they wouldn't want to be seen as hurting state U (although that line of reasoning hasn't worked with ESPN).

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, why do you say this instead of B1G or Big 10? I mean I understand you don't like that conference and you use it pejoratively, but how is "BeeOneGee" in any way insulting or ... even creative for that matter? Why is that funny to you?
While you're at it, ask him why he uses the words "meat chicken" when I haven't seen anyone showing much animosity toward Michigan here. Or I could ask him myself... Wait, I already have.

Reaction Score

Someone needs to send you to the cornfield.

Reaction Score
When the stadium is built out to it's originally designed 50,000 permanent seating capacity, which to my understanding would mean a 52,450 or so sell out capacity, REntschler will be the largest dedicated FBS/D1A college football stadium in all of New England and New York State.

(Yale bowl has been the biggest college football venue in the same region since it's construction over 100 years ago, but they stopped playing football at division 1A in 1982-83.)

That is a nice title to have for the athletic department and football program, when it comes to being attractive both in recruiting and scheduling.
IS this right, I remember hearing that the Rent could be expanded to 65K, can someone please confirm or send a link to the max capacity of expansion?
Also, the 50K number came about with expanding with the least amount of turmoil caused by expansion...so I think this implies that it could be expanded further but would likely prevent games from being played there while the expansion efforts were being done. -I might be incorrect with my interpretation of the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom