Warde Manuel credits U-M for showing him what to do at UConn | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel credits U-M for showing him what to do at UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Twenty-four sports and $67M budget, c ocksuckers.

But the Wake Forest prez is gonna tell us that his podunk little peckertrack of a school has challenges that we don't because his school cashes bigger ESPN checks.

(It took me like eight edits to get some version of c'sucker in there....)

Reaction Score
Detroit Free Press writing a positive article on UConn's leadership (lot's of other UM alums doing well and not getting articles in the DFP)...what say you conspriacy kitty?
Exactly. Why in the world would the DFP feel compelled to write this story about Warde Manuel and a tiny little commuter school in the middle of nowhere. I mean, why in the world would Jeff Jacobs or Kevin Duffy want to write it?

Reaction Score
It is amazing that with all that going for him/Uconn that we are being left out of this shuffle (or he cannot pull enough strings to get us in) while some of these others truly "lesser" programs/schools sit there with no worries.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
It is amazing that with all that going for him/Uconn that we are being left out of this shuffle (or he cannot pull enough strings to get us in) while some of these others truly "lesser" programs/schools sit there with no worries.
Patience! Patience! Strings ARE being pulled. Just gotta get to the right string to pull at the right time. There is a good portion of the mensas that populate this forum that want what they want at this very minute and if they don't get it it's because of the incompetence (or gluttony) of the current administration. That's absurd. It's not over yet. Just wait a year or so when Diaco has us going to bigger and bigger bowl games. We can't be ignored.

Reaction Score
Once we get into a P5, in retrospect the fact we were the last ones invited to the party will be considered a blessing in disguise. Think the CR snubs have really made the university and athletic department stepup their game. Like Shabazz said - #HungryHuskies

Reaction Score
geordi said:
Patience! Patience! Strings ARE being pulled. Just gotta get to the right string to pull at the right time. There is a good portion of the mensas that populate this forum that want what they want at this very minute and if they don't get it it's because of the incompetence (or gluttony) of the current administration. That's absurd. It's not over yet. Just wait a year or so when Diaco has us going to bigger and bigger bowl games. We can't be ignored.

I'm fine with patience but what bigger and bigger bowl games? Have you seen the American bowl line up?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Once we get into a P5, in retrospect the fact we were the last ones invited to the party will be considered a blessing in disguise. Think the CR snubs have really made the university and athletic department stepup their game. Like Shabazz said - #HungryHuskies

Good way to think of it, I suppose. It's too bad we didn't have this type of a campaign years ago. It's also too bad that the school used to employ Jeff Hathaway. But I guess everything happens for a reason and seeing our leadership FINALLY promoting the school's current value and future potential is certainly encouraging.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

But the Wake Forest prez is gonna tell us that his podunk little peckertrack of a school has challenges that we don't because his school cashes bigger ESPN checks.

Just pretend youah Sully from Southie, or Tawmee from Quinzee. This is ouah fackin' boneyaahd, no cawksuckah censaah is gonna stoahp me from sweahhin'! How ya like them apples?

Reaction Score
I have been saying pretty much the same thing for years.
Five years after UConn's acceptance. It would be considered a no brainer that we were included. That's how much confidence I have in the programs sucess.

Reaction Score

The creation of a BY circumvent dictionary sounds like a good off season topic.

Reaction Score
Just pretend youah Sully from Southie, or Tawmee from Quinzee. This is ouah fackin' boneyaahd, no cawksuckah censaah is gonna stoahp me from sweahhin'! How ya like them apples?

Stoahp! LMFAO

Reaction Score
I'm fine with patience but what bigger and bigger bowl games? Have you seen the American bowl line up?

All bowl games outside the top ones are now practically irrelevant. The AAC winner simply must stay ahead of the MWC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Exactly. Why in the world would the DFP feel compelled to write this story about Warde Manuel and a tiny little commuter school in the middle of nowhere. I mean, why in the world would Jeff Jacobs or Kevin Duffy want to write it?

Commuter school?

Yes, there are things that can be said in derision of our school but from what I understand the Storrs campus has one of the higher percentages on student body living on campus of any public school in the country (something like 89%).

Reaction Score

What's important, really for UCONN, is the accuracy of it all budget and expense wise. I hope that nobody is pulling Maryland and Rutgers crap with UCONN finances.

According to this source based solely on regular season television broadcasting, UCONN as a Big East football school, was pulling in 3.18 million total from the Big East television deal in 2012 (for ALL sports). I believe this number to be accurate and precise. This number does not include post season revenue from athletics (football or basketball) or licensing, branding, etc.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/05/10/2012-ncaa-television-revenue-by-conference/

The new AAC deal very widely reported delivers approximately $2million per year in television revenue per school - for all sports. We're down a little over a million per year in income from television regular season contracts - which in the grand scheme of an operating budget of 67 million is about 2% of the operating budget.

UCONN has not had any sort of a huge change individually in a yearly operating budget for regular season sports due to conference changing. Nor has there been a big change for post season revenue in basketball.

What's changed, is the post season revenue around college football. We are now among a group of schools that will split approx. $90 million dollars among 6 conferences, while something like $410 million gets split among 5 conferences.

The long term effects of being on this side of the equation around the college football post season are unknown. It stands to good reason, that UCONN can and will maintain the level of existence we've achieved and can build upon it on this side of the divide.

To do it, Warde Manuel knows - we will need to continue to win and build our infrastructure in both football and basketball. On this side of the divide in division 1 athletics, we cannot afford to be the perennial bottom dweller in athletics. A school like Rutgers? They can survive now as a perennial Temple of the Big 10.

Expanding the football stadium by the 10,000 or so in the article that's cited on the football board - makes up nicely for the decrease due to television revenue, getting those ticket sales for a winning program - is hard cash revenue.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The new AAC deal very widely reported delivers approximately $2million per year in television revenue per school - for all sports. We're down a little over a million per year in income from television regular season contracts - which in the grand scheme of an operating budget of 67 million is about 2% of the operating budget.

Overall conference revenue will be down far more than one million a year.

We made about $10M per year from the Big East - that will drop 60-70% in the AAC.

Expenses have gone up and will likely go up significantly in the next several years for a host of reasons.

We still have exit fee money for a while, but long-term, there is a ton on Diaco's shoulders...the difference between managing the deficit and having to cut sports is selling football tickets.

Reaction Score
....... there is a ton on Diaco's shoulders...the difference between managing the deficit and having to cut sports is selling football tickets.

in a nutshell............

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
djct1999 said:

50% Where are they now alum story.
20% Those Uconn 'ships? UM guy.
10% WM self promotion for his next gig
10% softening the B1G vox populi for future league games in CT.

Reaction Score
Overall conference revenue will be down far more than one million a year.

We made about $10M per year from the Big East - that will drop 60-70% in the AAC.

Expenses have gone up and will likely go up significantly in the next several years for a host of reasons.

We still have exit fee money for a while, but long-term, there is a ton on Diaco's shoulders...the difference between managing the deficit and having to cut sports is selling football tickets.

A lot can change in the intercollegiate landscape, and it can change very quickly. I respect your ability to find ways around profanity filters on a message board, but I don't take the numbers at face value. Can you point me to a reference that shows the breakdown of $10 mill previously from the Big East and a 60-70% decrease moving forward? My guess would be that the loss of the big east men's b-ball tournament at MSG would be a major contributor to that.

The burden on Diaco is to produce results at least as well as Edsall did for UCONN in FBS division 1A football. He's a football coach, and he's a charismatic guy, and he's young and highly motivated and has a great opportunity to prove himself and establish a legacy. That's a good combination to have - but he is a football coach. His job is develop young men through the game of football, and win more than he loses along the way. If he does that, he's accomplished his job that will contribute to the rest.

Edsall level of success (which I hope we reach again, and surpass very quickly thereafter) means a level of success that involves winning the majority of our home games, and getting bowl eligible and doing well in bowl game post season competition. We've only played in one 'major' bowl - ever. We've got the opportunity to get back there again, if we can stay ahead of the leaders of other conferences After witnessing 3 seasons of the Pasqualoni and Deleone show - it seems like a damn near impossibility - but that's just perspective skew - it's not that difficult and can be achieved with a dedicated and successful approach.

The real burden, I think, is on Warde Manuel and Susan Herbst, to get the political equity and legislative sway necessary in both Hartford, and in the local communities around Storrs and East Hartford, to expand the stadium and do it - like yesterday. It's a worry, because those two positions - president and AD - they can change and the social and political environment they work in can be big contributors to that whole dynamic. I hope that both Herbst and Manuel are long timers in their positions, and end up with legacy at UCONN that puts them at the very top of the list of successful administrators in UCONN history. They seem to be engaged, able and willing to do so, and well on their way, and I hope it continues.

The thing about ticket revenue for football is that you can only raise more money two ways - raising ticket prices or selling more tickets. I'd rather have 50,000 seats to sell, to generate money, than have 40,000 seats.

Reaction Score
What's on Diaco's shoulders is helping UConn earn bowl money.

We'll be fine in the long run. I am not even worried. Call me Alfred E. Newman.

Reaction Score
Easy for you to say your probably young.
At my age the purchase of green bananas is a gamble.

Reaction Score
50% Where are they now alum story.
20% Those Uconn 'ships? UM guy.
10% WM self promotion for his next gig
10% softening the B1G vox populi for future league games in CT.
I think the old business adage. Which is so true
"success has a million fathers and failure is an orphan. " is being applied.
UM is just staking its claim for our success.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What's on Diaco's shoulders is helping UConn earn bowl money.

We'll be fine in the long run. I am not even worried. Call me Alfred E. Newman.
Bowl participation is an expense not an income item, but point taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom