Wagner a trap game? Also our OOC schedule in general. | The Boneyard

Wagner a trap game? Also our OOC schedule in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both Wagner and North Florida won their conferences last year. Both return their leading scorer, but Wagner in particular returns most of its scoring from last year and is expected to win the NEC again. They have a young, upstart coach who would love to knock UConn off.

Point being: These aren't the typical cupcakes we've scheduled the last couple of years. And Wagner being our first game with a young team could be a problem.

Upside, these games will do a lot more for our RPI than last year when we had:
Overall Non-Conference RPI: 148
Avg Non-Conference KenPom: 154

This year, using last year's final numbers, we'd be:
Avg Non-Conference RPI: 124 - 134
Avg Non-Conference KenPom: 122 - 132
(depending on who wins in Maui)

That said, we still need to actually win the games... but we have a higher starting point statistically this year.

Here's where I ran those numbers if anyone wants to see the details.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. Lets hope KO makes the guys aware of this. Opening night we need upperclassmen to take Wagner out of the game early. I'm looking for Jalen to show signs of taking over this team early in the year.

Reaction Score
Dallas Moore for UNF is a stud. Seriously.

Yeah, and they'll be coming off of games against Auburn, Miami, LSU, Florida, Syracuse, and Arkansas before they get UConn on 12/18.

Moore in particular put up big numbers last year. 26 vs Illinois, 21 against Louisville, 31 against LSU. Shoots a lot of 3's and made about 40% last year.

Reaction Score
No, it's not a trap game. If we can't beat Wagner and North Florida, we are finished as a power program.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. Lets hope KO makes the guys aware of this. Opening night we need upperclassmen to take Wagner out of the game early. I'm looking for Jalen to show signs of taking over this team early in the year.
I remember a kid wearing #15 who did something like that starting in Maui a few years back as well... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
How can opening night ever be a trap game? It's a game that the kids are looking forward to all off season. They should be pumped for the opener, the first game that counts, for some the first game of their college career.

If we can't beat Wagner, it's not because it was a trap game, it's because we stink.

Reaction Score
How can opening night ever be a trap game? It's a game that the kids are looking forward to all off season. They should be pumped for the opener, the first game that counts, for some the first game of their college career.

If we can't beat Wagner, it's not because it was a trap game, it's because we stink.

Well maybe because we "stunk". If you throw in the towel on a Husky team because they lose to Wagner in the opener you're crazy, it could happen. Young, unknown and inexperienced if you'r thinking they win by 20 or more well I think you will be shocked early. Some of our best teams struggled against no names early who were lesser of a team than Wagner so anything can happen with so many new faces. I sure hope they win but it won't end the season for me if they don't.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Don't tell that to UNC, Duke, Cuse, Iowa,Michigan State and a slew of other "power" programs who lost to "cupcakes" recently in 1st games
To say that UConn stinks or UConn is finshed if they lose to Wagner is not only simplistic, crazy but has given me my best laugh of the day - Thanks Mr Positive

Reaction Score
Well maybe because we "stunk". If you throw in the towel on a Husky team because they lose to Wagner in the opener you're crazy, it could happen. Young, unknown and inexperienced if you'r thinking they win by 20 or more well I think you will be shocked early. Some of our best teams struggled against no names early who were lesser of a team than Wagner so anything can happen with so many new faces. I sure hope they win but it won't end the season for me if they don't.
WE will NOT lose to Wagner. This thread is dopey. I only keep responding because it's so loopy that it is perverse fun.

If we lose to Wagner, shut down the program and put all the money into field hockey.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
e5a.png

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
My wife went to UNF, we are flying up from Jacksonville for the game. This is an ultimate, all-time must win for us. Or I will never, ever, hear the end of it.

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan it's an absolute "must win" game. As a Wagner Alum I think it's a "can't lose" game for them. Safe to say someones' season is ending that night.

Reaction Score
WE will NOT lose to Wagner. This thread is dopey. I only keep responding because it's so loopy that it is perverse fun.

1. This thread is awesome. You obviously love it.

If we lose to Wagner, shut down the program and put all the money into field hockey.

2. Per this logic, didn't we already have to shut down the basketball program on December 5th 2014, after the loss to Yale?

3. No one is here saying we're going to lose to Wagner and UNF, that's not the point of this thread or the point of calling something "a trap game". The point is that they are tougher games than the names might otherwise merit. Our team has a bunch of freshman, and they have talented upper class-men. These are likely 14 or 15 seeds in the tourney. Not Maine. And that is worth noting. It's the offseason... this is like the best possible thread we could have right now that isn't about recruiting.

Reaction Score
There is zero chance that UConn loses to Wagner. Talent alone ensures a double digit victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom