Visiting recruits this weekend | The Boneyard

Visiting recruits this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IU is interesting since many are predicting that would be the landing spot for waters....kid's game is nice would be a sweet addition if Ollie and co could sneak in late and steal one

Reaction Score
Im sure Scruggs with his size can play off the ball, and vice-versa with MAL if he comes

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Don't forget about Vital, w/ AG, Adams, MAL, were pretty pg heavy

Reaction Score
Don't forget about Vital, w/ AG, Adams, MAL, were pretty pg heavy

No we're not, there's plenty of room for Scruggs. 2 PGs n the floor at all times. Vital is strictly combo/big guard. Adams is going pro. We need 2 more. Come on down Scruggs.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
No we're not, there's plenty of room for Scruggs. 2 PGs n the floor at all times. Vital is strictly combo/big guard. Adams is going pro. We need 2 more. Come on down Scruggs.
You saw enough from Adams freshman year to reasonably think he's going pro after this year? Don't get me wrong I'm a JA fan, but I didn't see it

Reaction Score
You saw enough from Adams freshman year to reasonably think he's going pro after this year? Don't get me wrong I'm a JA fan, but I didn't see it
I definitely did. I'm not saying he's for sure gone after this season, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he goes. Kid is ultra athletic, played good d, and gets into the lane whenever he pleases. He's a consistent jump shot away from being a top 10 pick, and I think he'll show it this year. Im expecting conference player of the year type stuff.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
I definitely did. I'm not saying he's for sure gone after this season, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he goes. Kid is ultra athletic, played good d, and gets into the lane whenever he pleases. He's a consistent jump shot away from being a top 10 pick, and I think he'll show it this year. Im expecting conference player of the year type stuff.
Good stuff, let's hope ur right bro!:D

Reaction Score
Most players don't get drafted if they are ready or not but on their potential. If JA has flashes of the real deal, he'll be gone in the loaded 2017 draft class.

Reaction Score
Hopefully he matures because that was an issue - the sulking and the look to blame others needs to go away. Need him to be the leader, accept his mistakes hold his head up and just play. He is a tremendous athlete and player, agree a consistent mid range game from the NBA but it's all there waiting to come out. One of the video's I saw earlier this month or last showed to me he had some nice muscle gain in his upper body which will also help. Let's see how this transitions, can't wait.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
How great would it be to get young Mr. Scruggs? And it would be just fine to bring Wilkes along as well! Anyone have enough knowledge about Scruggs and MAL to compare them overall? Scruggs would be the better shooter at this point, I would guess.

Reaction Score
@Dogbreath2U here is a scouting report on Scruggs from DraftExpress:
If you put Scruggs next to Stephen Curry and ask a non-basketball follower who the two-time NBA MVP is, they would likely opt for the wide-shouldered, 6' 3.5” 200-pounder with a 6' 10” wingspan rather than Curry.

Scruggs is as physically impressive of a combo guard prospect as you'll find in the 2017 class, which directly translates to his defensive potential and ability to get into the paint at will once he gets downhill.

Defense figures to be Scruggs' initial calling card at the collegiate level, as he's strong and long enough to guard twos, yet has the quickness to guard ones when motivated. The Indianapolis native is also able to use that big body and quickness to get going downhill in transition, where he scored 1.297 points per possession in 12 games for the Indy Hoosiers 17U, as well as the half court. He changes speeds impressively for his size and is a load going to the rim as he doesn't shy away from contact, seen by his 57% conversion rate at the rim. Scruggs isn't overly explosive vertically but his power helps him make up for some of those limitations, at least at the high school level.

Aside from his physical profile, defensive potential and aggressive driving ability, Scruggs' game is still a work in progress. The key to maximizing his potential likely revolves around Scruggs' development as a shooter. While he has some touch and gets solid rotation on the ball, his lower body mechanics leave much to be desired and his confidence seems to waver a bit. Scruggs isn't a non-shooter by any means as he even shows flashes of crisp step backs going to his left, but the overall speed at which he gets to his jumper could use improvement as he tends to squat prior to his release.

Becoming a more dynamic shot-maker will also be aided by improving his handle, which can be a bit loose and rigid. He's not the most naturally shifty player and becoming tighter with the ball will allow him to get to the rim more frequently in the half court.

As a playmaker, Scruggs is more combo than lead guard right now. He can make the majority of basic passes and is unselfish in nature, but he's not quite an instinctual floor general and can do a better job finding a balance between over dribbling and killing his dribble too early. Scruggs can be a bit aloof as a decision maker – and in general – so it will be interesting to see if he can develop into a point guard in time or operate more as a physical, downhill slashing combo.

Even with some areas to work on, all in all there's a lot to like about Scruggs long term. He's a grown man physically, has tremendous defensive potential, sticks his nose in on the glass regularly, can get to the rim at will and shows potential as a shooter and playmaker. The 18-year-old should most certainly be considered a high major prospect and one worth tracking from an NBA perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom