Visions of Hilton Armstrong? | The Boneyard

Visions of Hilton Armstrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Does anyone else notice the alarming similarities between Phil Nolan and freshman Hilton Armstrong? In 3 years, we could have quite a dominant center on our hands.

Reaction Score
I hardly remember Hilton much as a freshman (maybe that's the point!) and I only caught Nolan a little in one of the exhibition games, but I will say that Nolan has nowhere near the kind of beef and talent (yet) that most likely pushed Hilton a lot.

When Hilton was a freshman, he was practicing against Emeka, Marcus White, Hayes, and heck even Justin Brown! There's a little bit of everything in that group of guys.

Then they bring in Boone, Charlie, and Nelsonian!

Hilton units aren't made, they're born (Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it.).

Reaction Score
Does anyone else notice the alarming similarities between Phil Nolan and freshman Hilton Armstrong? In 3 years, we could have quite a dominant center on our hands.

Not a bad comparison especially size-wise......I really believe Nolan has an advantage offensively already and will become a very good player with confidence and strength on that frame. He worked his butt off when he came in the other night it was fun to watch him try to get position on both ends of the court!!

Reaction Score
Not a bad comparison especially size-wise......I really believe Nolan has an advantage offensively already and will become a very good player with confidence and strength on that frame. He worked his butt off when he came in the other night it was fun to watch him try to get position on both ends of the court!!

How many Hilton units is Nolan.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
I think that the other important thing to remember with Hilton is that unlike most players (who make their biggest improvements between their freshman and sophomore years), Hilton made his between his junior and senior years. Which is the biggest reason why he beat out Josh Boone for BE defensive player of the year in 05-06. Not saying it's a bad comparison, but I think most of us remember Hilton in his senior year and forget that he struggled a little bit during his first couple of years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hilton was never a dominant center. He was big athletic kid drafted high on spec.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He had flashes, I remember a 26-pt performance against Quinnipiac, but then again it was Quinnipiac.

Reaction Score
He is tall, long, skinny and extremely raw as a freshman.

But I think we need more than 5 minutes to go on to judge whether he could blossom into a potential lottery pick.

(Then again, maybe not. This board was projecting Calhoun as a one-and-done based on Omar's 20-plus performances against a couple division 2 schools.)

Reaction Score
Hilton was a raw, awkward looking and serviceable freshman. That's about all I remember. I'll try and pay more attention to Nolan if there are even remote similarities.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
nolan is farther along but i see it...

Reaction Score
He is tall, long, skinny and extremely raw as a freshman.

But I think we need more than 5 minutes to go on to judge whether he could blossom into a potential lottery pick.

(Then again, maybe not. This board was projecting Calhoun as a one-and-done based on Omar's 20-plus performances against a couple division 2 schools.)

Did someone project him as a lottery pick?

Reaction Score
My brother was a team manager Hilton's freshman year and good ol' Coach Calhoun would make Hilton eat a large pizza for dinner every night to beef up. Pretty funny story, I'll never forget it. Oh, and I'll always remember my brother went and bought Boone and his mom subway grinders on his official visit. Uconn memories!!

Reaction Score
I knew before i clicked on this thread it was about Phil Nolan. It would be huge if he can contribute at a high level this season

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I can't guarantee that he'll be a lottery pick, but he's long, quick, and a good shot blocker who is raw offensively. If he can develop into what Hilton did I'd surely be satisfied.

Reaction Score
If this were 2003, when we were armed to the teeth in big men, I'd take another Hilton Armstrong. We need someone who's going to be a legitimate starter next year, not in 3 years.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My memory of Hilton as a frosh:
on his ass in the lane.
Every trip down, Hilton was on the floor. It was uncanny. He really came a long way in 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
If this were 2003, when we were armed to the teeth in big men, I'd take another Hilton Armstrong. We need someone who's going to be a legitimate starter next year, not in 3 years.

We don't need Nolan to be a "legitimate starter" we just need him to play impact minutes and I believe he will at least by next year and maybe as this year progresses.......he will need to stay out of foul trouble as he tends to get great position on the shooter while instead of hands straight up drops them down on the ball hence a whistle.....he'll learn, he'll help!!!

Reaction Score
My brother was a team manager Hilton's freshman year and good ol' Coach Calhoun would make Hilton eat a large pizza for dinner every night to beef up. Pretty funny story, I'll never forget it. Oh, and I'll always remember my brother went and bought Boone and his mom subway grinders on his official visit. Uconn memories!!

Are you sure that's all Josh got was a subway grinder on his official? ;) Prolly got something a bit sweeter than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom