Virginia Tech? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Virginia Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I rewatched the Va Tech-Louisville game and Kitley looked really good. Her game has definitely advanced in the past season. She’s more mobile and active on O and D. And she has a very reliable short fadeaway that looks undefendable. This looks like the rare case where the center gets the guards open. Aamoore and Traylor had big seasons because teams sagged off them to double Kitley.

Louisville’s posts were not good enough to play Kitley straight up. The only game where they faced a comparable post player was against Tennessee, when Key was still playing. They squeaked out a win 59-56 but Kitley was 3-13 and 6 points. If I were a betting man, I’d wager Dorka can give Kitley all she can handle and Traylor and Amoore will have all they can handle from our guard corps. Still, I like the way they play and they will definitely be a challenge.

Reaction Score
For sure? Lou has done a fantastic job replacing Paige; who is going to replace Dorka? Until that question is answered, there is nothing “for sure” about next season.
Totally on point.....no one!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
IMO: Va. Tech will have [big] trouble getting past LadyVol.

Hoping/wishing that Iowa State takes down LadyVol in round 2.
Would feel better about their chances if the committee had flipped the 4 and 5 seeds.
In Ames...with that [sellout]crowd...upset is realistic...at LadyVol....not confident.

ISU has some players...Joens is elite. Slow the pace...hit treys...stay close...LadyVol
feel the pressure...let it happen.

BTW: ISU has an excellent recruiting class coming in...including a younger Joens and a couple of
other really good frosh-to-be. Would not mind a UConn 2 game trip...Iowa and ISU...in the near future.
They can return the favor with visits to UConn.

I agree with Tennessee being a dangerous team for Virginia Tech. They played earlier this year in Knoxville and it came down to missed shots in the final 10 seconds. Tennessee had Key then, but was without Rickea Jackson and they're playing much better as of late (though the same can be said for VaTech).

I do think that Iowa State poses potential problems for Tennessee. That's definitely one of the more intriguing 2nd round matchups.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For sure? Lou has done a fantastic job replacing Paige; who is going to replace Dorka? Until that question is answered, there is nothing “for sure” about next season.
For sure!! You’re splitting hairs. The player that will replace Dorka is already on the roster, she is just waiting to be indentified, unless Geno finds an expireced post player the portal. I don’t think that’s going to happen. It sounds like no matter who replaces Dorka, you don’t think they will be be good enough. I think she will. Geno will put the 5 players on the floor that give him the best chance to win. He can only pick from the players he has.

I believe with a healthy Paige, Azzi and Ice Brady along with Jana El Alfy who I’m hoping will exceed the hype that has preceded her, UConn will be a very hard team to beat, possibly running the table through the regular season. Next year’s team may be the deepest and most talented team Geno as had since 2016.

So based on who we have returning, and who we have coming in, IMO, next year’s team will have a better chance of winning #12 than this team for sure. Of course if the injury bug strikes again, that would change the outlook for the team’s potential as injuries did this year. SC’s starting 5 are all seniors. Unless they return for their Covid year, they should be gone.

Dawn will have another formidable team next year, but not as good as this one. She may never have another Boston. I understand if you don’t agree, I didn’t expect everyone would, but that’s my take. I believe next year is UConn’s year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Eh, I think that's a bit of a stretch. His teams are good for a Sweet 16 here or there and they're in the top half of their conference but never win. Fennelly is a long time solid coach and it is impressive how consistent his results are but he's far from the best IMO.
My point is for years he hasn’t gotten the cream of the crop recruiting wise but he has always managed to have decent teams, so as a game coach and a teacher of the game he must be pretty good, and in terms of his longevity in one program he is one of the best. His staff of assistants have been with him for years, the only time one ever leaves is to take a head coaching job.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not saying you're wrong but 2 of my 3 brackets, I picked UCONN to upset SC. The game at Storrs showed me with Azzi, it would've been a W
I hope you’re right. There are some brackets that don’t have SC winning the NC, but as ESPN is reporting, most of them do. I’m not saying or suggesting that anyone that has another team winning the NC is wrong, just that I don’t see it that way.

Everyone has their own personal take. Mine has SC winning. Nothing, and I mean nothing would make me happier than for this team to come all the way back from barely fielding a 7 person active roster to be able to play a game, to winning the NC. Would it be an upset?, some think it would. My state of mind would be a lot more positive and pleasant if UConn were to win #12.

I’ll be happily celebrating all summer with the rest of my boneyard brethren.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Except that just about every ESPN pundit is picking UConn to advance over VA Tech.
BTW, another factor, is ESPN's option to have one's bracket autofill. Everyone of those will also select Va. Tech.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My point is for years he hasn’t gotten the cream of the crop recruiting wise but he has always managed to have decent teams, so as a game coach and a teacher of the game he must be pretty good, and in terms of his longevity in one program he is one of the best. His staff of assistants have been with him for years, the only time one ever leaves is to take a head coaching job.
Agree with that--but I don't think Fennelly's coaching ability gives ISU an advantage over most teams in the tournament which is how I interpreted your post. You could argue his coaching gives him an advantage vs. Tennessee, but once you get into later rounds, I'd take most other coaches prepping their own teams and game planning over Fennelly's ability in those areas.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Boreifs said:

It was in response to Boreifs' response (above) to my comment. He/she had a problem with my use of the phrase "for sure." My comment was an innocent enough comment that shared my take on UConn's potential next year. I meant it "figuratively." He/she took it literally.

Of course there is nothing “for sure” about next season. We all know that. There is a lot of hope, assumption and speculation when "for sure" is used in that context. I broke down my reasoning for my take. I believe I explained it sufficiently. Some may not agree with it, but again, it was MY take. I don't think I have to remind anyone that EVERYONE here has the right to their own personal opinion. There's nothing in the rules here that says you should or have to agree what what's posted here. That is the purpose of fan chatrooms. To express and share thoughts, opinions and concerns. I welcome opposing responses just as I do a thumbs up.

I'll take it a step further. For the most past, I take a positive approach to the season and this team's play. I realize our players are young adults and not robots, that will have an "off" game every once in awhile. But I'm also a realist. AT NO TIME this season did I think UConn could win the NC. I'm optimistic, but only to a point. South Carolina has been the elephant in the room since last March. They ran the table this season. If they were going to lose, they would have done it by now. The are dialed in and highly motivated to repeat. They won't lose these last 6 games. There's no team in their bracket that can beat them. Nobody wants to play them or be in their bracket.

Paige went down August 1. Ice Brady went down before the season started. I THOUGHT BOTH of these players would play a significant role in UConn's fortune this season. Then Azzi goes down for over half the season. At one point, it was suggested by media analysts and reporters (during televised games) that UConn had at least 50 points sitting on the bench during games this year. It's hard to be optimistic when you suffer as many season ending injuries and recurring injuries as UConn did. We struggled with DePaul and Xavier late in the season.

We were at our low point when we had to postpone the DePaul game on January 8 because we could not dress 7 players for a game. Pictures don't lie. Neither does an honest, fair and impartial "eye test." We lost games this year to two unranked conference teams. That right there was breaking news. We seldom lose to unranked teams, and hardly ever to conference opponents. We lost two games in a row. We haven't done that in almost 30 years.

I'm always interested in the thoughts and concerns of my fellow Boneyarders. I may not agree with their take(s), but I like to know what they're thinking. It's the same reason I'm in the chatroom for every game. You get honest unfiltered "on the spot" thoughts and observations of other UConn fans as the game is in progress. That's what I want........tell me what you're really thinking as the game is going on. There are things we can't say in open forum that's fair game in the chatroom.

BTW.......................I would love to be proven wrong by UConn wining the NC this year. :cool:

Reaction Score
For sure!! You’re splitting hairs. The player that will replace Dorka is already on the roster, she is just waiting to be indentified, unless Geno finds an expireced post player the portal. I don’t think that’s going to happen. It sounds like no matter who replaces Dorka, you don’t think they will be be good enough. I think she will. Geno will put the 5 players on the floor that give him the best chance to win. He can only pick from the players he has.

I believe with a healthy Paige, Azzi and Ice Brady along with Jana El Alfy who I’m hoping will exceed the hype that has preceded her, UConn will be a very hard team to beat, possibly running the table through the regular season. Next year’s team may be the deepest and most talented team Geno as had since 2016.

So based on who we have returning, and who we have coming in, IMO, next year’s team will have a better chance of winning #12 than this team for sure. Of course if the injury bug strikes again, that would change the outlook for the team’s potential as injuries did this year. SC’s starting 5 are all seniors. Unless they return for their Covid year, they should be gone.

Dawn will have another formidable team next year, but not as good as this one. She may never have another Boston. I understand if you don’t agree, I didn’t expect everyone would, but that’s my take. I believe next year is UConn’s year.
I just said “for sure” is an exaggeration. No need to be defensive. UConn will have a great team, but guaranteeing an NC at this point is not prudent.

Reaction Score

I agree with Dorka's follow up is ALREADY ON THE TEAM. I'm a bit of a dreamer for the underdog and have great hopes for a few on board right now. I've seen potential on a few who played in the LIMITED Clean up time. If KK, ICE, Paige, Azzi, Caroline, can't fill up the stat sheets--I'll be surprised AND disappointed.
While we've seen the impossible, like Miss St, this team shall meet it's Peter Principle best at the FF, I've said since January. With this group getting FF experience, this year, the NC next is much more probable. --A lesson I've learned is to Cavate everything with IF HEALTHY

Reaction Score
Agree with that--but I don't think Fennelly's coaching ability gives ISU an advantage over most teams in the tournament which is how I interpreted your post. You could argue his coaching gives him an advantage vs. Tennessee, but once you get into later rounds, I'd take most other coaches prepping their own teams and game planning over Fennelly's ability in those areas.
Ok, I guess we’ll see how far his coaching abilities can take them in the tournament. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think Ice will be a factor next year but if I was a betting girl I would put my money on Jana to step into Dorka's place. She has guard skills and is 6'4" and has had a year to learn UCONNs way of playing and get into the condition she needs to be.

Reaction Score

I don't know that UConn's going to win the National Championship this year but I just have a feeling this South Carolina team is going to get upset. Unlike past dominate UConn teams, they have had some very close calls against teams they should have blown out. Ole Miss, UConn without Azzi or CD, Mississippi St, UCLA should have all been 25+ victories if they were as dominant as they are being billed. They very easily could have 2-3 losses if their coin toss victories hadn't gone their way. I think that will catch up to them in the tournament as I don't think their margin of error is a great as they and everyone else thinks it is. Every non-SEC team they've played that was ranked (and I make that caveat because I really am not sure Tennessee or LSU are top 25 teams) was a single digit game EXCEPT Maryland who didn't have their best player. If the SEC was as strong as last year or the year before they wouldn't have gone undefeated. Two of their top three OOC opponents were missing their best players when they played. They are the best team in the country this season without question, but I think that is because they are able to play their best level of basketball most consistently this season. I don't think the level of basketball their have played at is unreachable by other teams on a game to game basis though, and thats what the tournament is about.

If this was a play-off best of 5 or 6 game series versus one and done tournament I would 100% agree with you about South Carolina being the prohibitive favorite with no chance of losing.

Now if they do have a dominant NCAA tournament and win every game by double digits I will take it all back but right now I see them having 2-3 close games in this tournament and one of those games calls and bounces won't go their way and they'll take a very unexpected L. Just a prediction we'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
Boreifs said:

It was in response to Boreifs' response (above) to my comment. He/she had a problem with my use of the phrase "for sure." My comment was an innocent enough comment that shared my take on UConn's potential next year. I meant it "figuratively." He/she took it literally.

Of course there is nothing “for sure” about next season. We all know that. There is a lot of hope, assumption and speculation when "for sure" is used in that context. I broke down my reasoning for my take. I believe I explained it sufficiently. Some may not agree with it, but again, it was MY take. I don't think I have to remind anyone that EVERYONE here has the right to their own personal opinion. There's nothing in the rules here that says you should or have to agree what what's posted here. That is the purpose of fan chatrooms. To express and share thoughts, opinions and concerns. I welcome opposing responses just as I do a thumbs up.

I'll take it a step further. For the most past, I take a positive approach to the season and this team's play. I realize our players are young adults and not robots, that will have an "off" game every once in awhile. But I'm also a realist. AT NO TIME this season did I think UConn could win the NC. I'm optimistic, but only to a point. South Carolina has been the elephant in the room since last March. They ran the table this season. If they were going to lose, they would have done it by now. The are dialed in and highly motivated to repeat. They won't lose these last 6 games. There's no team in their bracket that can beat them. Nobody wants to play them or be in their bracket.

Paige went down August 1. Ice Brady went down before the season started. I THOUGHT BOTH of these players would play a significant role in UConn's fortune this season. Then Azzi goes down for over half the season. At one point, it was suggested by media analysts and reporters (during televised games) that UConn had at least 50 points sitting on the bench during games this year. It's hard to be optimistic when you suffer as many season ending injuries and recurring injuries as UConn did. We struggled with DePaul and Xavier late in the season.

We were at our low point when we had to postpone the DePaul game on January 8 because we could not dress 7 players for a game. Pictures don't lie. Neither does an honest, fair and impartial "eye test." We lost games this year to two unranked conference teams. That right there was breaking news. We seldom lose to unranked teams, and hardly ever to conference opponents. We lost two games in a row. We haven't done that in almost 30 years.

I'm always interested in the thoughts and concerns of my fellow Boneyarders. I may not agree with their take(s), but I like to know what they're thinking. It's the same reason I'm in the chatroom for every game. You get honest unfiltered "on the spot" thoughts and observations of other UConn fans as the game is in progress. That's what I want........tell me what you're really thinking as the game is going on. There are things we can't say in open forum that's fair game in the chatroom.

BTW.......................I would love to be proven wrong by UConn wining the NC this year. :cool:
While I agree that SC is the big dog this year and is obviously the odds on favorite, I would point out that SC came very close to losing three different games this season. To their credit and probably a little luck, they won those games and are undefeated as you say. I would say rather there are no teams in their bracket that will beat them. Any team can lose under the right circumstances.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Va Tech is hot right now and a very good team but their chances to win it all are roughly nil.

Maybe I'm overly influenced by ND's win over them. Kitley went for 16 and Amoore for 20 against ND but the supporting cast was ineffective. I think they will wilt in the tourney when confronted by a good defensive team with enough size to battle Kitley.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I just said “for sure” is an exaggeration. No need to be defensive. UConn will have a great team, but guaranteeing an NC at this point is not prudent.
You’re doing it again. Giving me advice. So what if it’s an exaggeration, I meant it to be. I’m sharing an observation about South Carolina. Prudent or not, that’s my take at this point or any point this season. I stand firmly behind my opinion.

Reaction Score
You’re doing it again. Giving me advice. So what if it’s an exaggeration, I meant it to be. I’m sharing an observation about South Carolina. Prudent or not, that’s my take at this point or any point this season. I stand firmly behind my opinion.
Advice? Oh well; have a nice evening.

sun

Reaction Score
UConn can only control what it can control which means they need to be able to take care of their own business.
UConn needs to show that they can play 4 full quarters without wilting due to fatigue, and that they're able to stay as focused as possible.
They haven't proven that they can sub players to provide rest while maintaining the quality of play.
They may be refreshed because of the layoff & practices.
But that doesn't leave much room for error or injuries at all without using some of the bench players.
At some point in time it would seem that would become necessary.

Of course the core 7 can play the whole game if there's no problems or incidents.
But what are the realistic chances of that and that every game will go smoothly?
I hope that fans realize how sometimes bench depth is critical, and the coaching staff also needs to have enough faith in the bench to know when to use them even if only for a few minutes.
There may be moments when our bench needs to play their bench for the sake of providing a few minutes of rest.
And the bench & the staff needs to plan to be ready in advance to make the adjustments.

The season has shown that UConn can't play their best game if the players are over-worked.
They can get away with it sometimes, but I don't know if they can away with it for the whole NCAAT.
If other teams have more depth and fresher players, then it may seem as if UConn can't keep up for 4 full quarters.
That's my concern which could very well characterized UConn's greatest challenge for this NCAAT.
Give the bench some PT or risk suffering the consequences of fatigue & a lack of focus at times.
The staff needs to know which sub to use, when & for how long to avoid let downs in performance.
Quite frankly I think the best sub for Dorka is Amari.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think Ice will be a factor next year but if I was a betting girl I would put my money on Jana to step into Dorka's place. She has guard skills and is 6'4" and has had a year to learn UCONNs way of playing and get into the condition she needs to be.

Reaction Score
UConn can only control what it can control which means they need to be able to take care of their own business.
UConn needs to show that they can play 4 full quarters without wilting due to fatigue, and that they're able to stay as focused as possible.
They haven't proven that they can sub players to provide rest while maintaining the quality of play.
They may be refreshed because of the layoff & practices.
But that doesn't leave much room for error or injuries at all without using some of the bench players.
At some point in time it would seem that would become necessary.
Of course the core 7 can play the whole game if there's no problems or incidents.
But what are the realistic chances of that and that every game will go smoothly?
I hope that fans realize how sometimes bench depth is critical, and the coaching staff also needs to have enough faith in the bench to know when to use them even if only for a few minutes.
There may be moments when our bench needs to play their bench for the sake of providing a few minutes of rest.
And the bench & the staff needs to plan to be ready in advance to make the adjustments.
The season has shown that UConn can't play their best game if the players are over-worked.
They can get away with it sometimes, but I don't know if they can away with it for the whole NCAAT..
If other teams have more depth and fresher players, then it may seem as if UConn can't keep up for 4 full quarters.
That's my concern which could very well characterized UConn's greatest challenge for this NCAAT.
Give the bench some PT or risk suffering the consequences of fatigue & lack of focus at times.
In the NCAA tournament most teams won’t go deeper than an 8 player rotation. Nika, Lou, Fudd, Griffin, Ducharme, AE, Dorka. Those 7 will play the bulk of the minutes. Patterson and Ines can steal a minute here or there. The 7 player rotation will be fine if they can escape the injury bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom