Virginia Tech? | The Boneyard

Virginia Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
SC is the obvious choice. But when it comes to betting odds, I always look at the late (smart) money, which will come in on Friday morning, after the play-in games and before the 1st round games begin.

Reaction Score
Fivethirtyeight for a number of years has the brackets with the probabilities of each team's success. For UConn they have 44% of reaching the final four (with 25% for Virginia Tech), 23% of making it to the final game and 5% of winning the championship. Here's the link.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Well, we are the highest picked #2 seed...:):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Generally I’m not a betting man but if I can get 20:1 odds on our UConn women taking it all, i might just become one-just this once

Reaction Score
I haven't watched a lot of VaTech so I could be off base but I don't think their overall athleticism is on par with a few of the other teams and unfortunately for them they have to beat UCONN. If they were with Indiana I think they would match up a lot better. Many teams have one or two that make them go and if you can hold them in check you can win. With UCONN they have 4 different players that can really impact the game and at least one of them will have a mismatch.

Match ups are important. UCONN has two post players and EA is the second best in the country. They have one of the best point guards who also plays incredible defense, and they have three fantastic shooters. Then you throw in the swiss army knife, AG. Who can really match up with this group when they are healthy?

Reaction Score
I haven't watched a lot of VaTech so I could be off base but I don't think their overall athleticism is on par with a few of the other teams and unfortunately for them they have to beat UCONN. If they were with Indiana I think they would match up a lot better. Many teams have one or two that make them go and if you can hold them in check you can win. With UCONN they have 4 different players that can really impact the game and at least one of them will have a mismatch.

Match ups are important. UCONN has two post players and EA is the second best in the country. They have one of the best point guards who also plays incredible defense, and they have three fantastic shooters. Then you throw in the swiss army knife, AG. Who can really match up with this group when they are healthy?

**Might have to beat UCONN. VaTech and UCONN have to beat other teams to face each other in the E8

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Interesting.

After Paige and Ice went down the for season, I made a very unpopular observation here during the summer that IMHO, South Carolina would repeat as the national champion. While I didn't get any "thumbs down" to my post, I know it was NOT well received by the eternal optimistic "die-hards" here.

Well...sorry about that, but I gotta call'em like I see 'em. So far I'm batting 1.000, they're undefeated and playing well going into the tournament. Las Vegas and a large number of fans that have submitted brackets so far agree with me. Next year is out year.....for sure. ;)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
IMO: Va. Tech will have [big] trouble getting past LadyVol.

Hoping/wishing that Iowa State takes down LadyVol in round 2.
Would feel better about their chances if the committee had flipped the 4 and 5 seeds.
In Ames...with that [sellout]crowd...upset is realistic...at LadyVol....not confident.

ISU has some players...Joens is elite. Slow the pace...hit treys...stay close...LadyVol
feel the pressure...let it happen.

BTW: ISU has an excellent recruiting class coming in...including a younger Joens and a couple of
other really good frosh-to-be. Would not mind a UConn 2 game trip...Iowa and ISU...in the near future.
They can return the favor with visits to UConn.

Reaction Score
SC is the obvious choice. But when it comes to betting odds, I always look at the late (smart) money, which will come in on Friday morning, after the play-in games and before the 1st round games begin.
Happen to be in Vegas for the first weekend of March Madness and looking at the latest odds I have seen have UConn women at 17/2 to win the championship with Virginia Tech at 40/1, and if you want to see how much of a favorite South Carolina is, they are at -220. Odds however, are like players stats: they are much like bikinis, they show a lot but they don’t show everything. BTW Vegas has changed so much since a lot of ex teammates, coaching friends, and now their legal sons have made this an annual ritual, in that with the optimal wind currents you can now almost get high just walking down the strip. JMO

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
And Vegas says? That's betting with real consequences...not just hope.
Right now it's:

Reaction Score
After Paige and Ice went down the for season, I made a very unpopular observation here during the summer that IMHO, South Carolina would repeat as the national champion. While I didn't get any "thumbs down" to my post, I know it was NOT well received by the eternal optimistic "die-hards" here.

Well...sorry about that, but I gotta call'em like I see 'em. So far I'm batting 1.000, they're undefeated and playing well going into the tournament. Las Vegas and a large number of fans that have submitted brackets so far agree with me. Next year is out year.....for sure. ;)
you're most likely correct but I could see Indiana or Stanford taking them out.......

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Happen to be in Vegas for the first weekend of March Madness and looking at the latest odds I have seen have UConn women at 17/2 to win the championship with Virginia Tech at 40/1, and if you want to see how much of a favorite South Carolina is, they are at -220. Odds however, are like players stats: they are much like bikinis, they show a lot but they don’t show everything. BTW Vegas has changed so much since a lot of ex teammates, coaching friends, and now their legal sons have made this an annual ritual, in that with the optimal wind currents you can now almost get high just walking down the strip. JMO
So their illegal sons stay home? :D

Reaction Score

Not saying you're wrong but 2 of my 3 brackets, I picked UCONN to upset SC. The game at Storrs showed me with Azzi, it would've been a W

Reaction Score

Would feel better about their chances if the committee had flipped the 4 and 5 seeds.
In Ames...with that [sellout]crowd...upset is realistic...at LadyVol....not confident.

ISU has some players...Joens is elite. Slow the pace...hit treys...stay close...LadyVol

BTW: ISU has an excellent recruiting class coming in...including a younger Joens and a couple of
other really good frosh-to-be. Would not mind a UConn 2 game trip...Iowa and ISU...in the near future.

Being from Big 12 country I get to see many of their games. I don’t disagree with your ideas about ISU, and especially Joens. However I would like their chances much better if their best post, Stephanie Soares, a 6’ 5” transfer from The Masters, a NAIA school in California, hadn’t torn her ACL earlier in the year. She was a 2 time player of the year in the NAIA and was their 2nd leading scorer behind Joens, averaging 14 points and 10 rebounds a game. BTW ISU’s point guard, Emily Ryan, came from the same small Kansas high school (less than 100 students) that produced Jackie Stiles. JMO

Reaction Score
Percentage of people picking Va. Tech in their brackets makes perfect sense. With ESPN constantly driving awareness of the frequency of #1 regional seeds making the Final Four, it's logical for folks, especially for those outside of CT, and double-especially for those outside the tri-state area to go with chalk - the 4 #1 seeds.

One suspects, or at least hopes, they will be sorely disappointed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Percentage of people picking Va. Tech in their brackets makes perfect sense. With ESPN constantly driving awareness of the frequency of #1 regional seeds making the Final Four, it's logical for folks, especially for those outside of CT, and double-especially for those outside the tri-state area to go with chalk - the 4 #1 seeds.

One suspects, or at least hopes, they will be sorely disappointed.
Except that just about every ESPN pundit is picking UConn to advance over VA Tech.

Reaction Score

For sure? Lou has done a fantastic job replacing Paige; who is going to replace Dorka? Until that question is answered, there is nothing “for sure” about next season.

Reaction Score

ISU also has one of the best coaches in the game, and staff (his assistants).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
ISU also has one of the best coaches in the game, and staff (his assistants).
Eh, I think that's a bit of a stretch. His teams are good for a Sweet 16 here or there and they're in the top half of their conference but never win. Fennelly is a long time solid coach and it is impressive how consistent his results are but he's far from the best IMO.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01