VIP visitor Dan Orlovsky extolls value of carrying banner for Connecticut football | The Boneyard

VIP visitor Dan Orlovsky extolls value of carrying banner for Connecticut football

Reaction Score

Alternate access <<

-> Mora came by the sidelines to chat with Orlovsky, his wife and children. They got acquainted walking the TPC River Highlands during the Travelers pro-am last June, and like many concerned alums, Orlovsky has become convinced the program is finally in good hands.

“How quickly it happened last year,” Orlovsky said, “and how potentially good this year can be. Just watching them, they can play. It’s nice to see how they look like a college football team. I remember coming back six or seven years ago and one of the things I took away was, they didn’t look the part. Now they look the part. The linemen look like college football linemen, the receivers look like college football receivers, it’s good to see.” <-

-> The team Orvosky visited on Tuesday has a heartbeat, at least, and the program, for all the losing the last decade, has a long list of alums with NFL chops, including Byron Jones, also a state kid, a Pro Bowl cornerback who visited last week. Carrying the UConn weight on the shoulder pads has its charm, and its responsibilities.

Orlovsky recognizes the vibe in the energy and engagement he sees from the coaches, and the competitiveness he saw in the drills, when first-string offense went against first string defense. There’s a long way to go, as there surely was when Orlovsky first arrived in 2001, but each step seems to be in the right direction. <-

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I give Dan O a lot of credit. He was a big Edsall fan. It must be tough for him to say Mora has brought the program back. Of course he says it was like 6 years ago he visited and the players didn't look FBS worthy. But...I get that he can't throw Edsall under the bus.

And more importantly...he is all in on the Mora era.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Alternate access <<

-> Mora came by the sidelines to chat with Orlovsky, his wife and children. They got acquainted walking the TPC River Highlands during the Travelers pro-am last June, and like many concerned alums, Orlovsky has become convinced the program is finally in good hands.

“How quickly it happened last year,” Orlovsky said, “and how potentially good this year can be. Just watching them, they can play. It’s nice to see how they look like a college football team. I remember coming back six or seven years ago and one of the things I took away was, they didn’t look the part. Now they look the part. The linemen look like college football linemen, the receivers look like college football receivers, it’s good to see.” <-

-> The team Orvosky visited on Tuesday has a heartbeat, at least, and the program, for all the losing the last decade, has a long list of alums with NFL chops, including Byron Jones, also a state kid, a Pro Bowl cornerback who visited last week. Carrying the UConn weight on the shoulder pads has its charm, and its responsibilities.

Orlovsky recognizes the vibe in the energy and engagement he sees from the coaches, and the competitiveness he saw in the drills, when first-string offense went against first string defense. There’s a long way to go, as there surely was when Orlovsky first arrived in 2001, but each step seems to be in the right direction. <-

That was the crazy part. By the end of Bobby Red pants UConn looked small compared to the FCS teams they were playing. They looked slow.

Now they look like a real D1 team.

Reaction Score
But, in fairness, they looked liked RKGs and they never once lost breakfast
There is some truth in the narratives but those ugly teams were more successful, well on defense anyways. Offense struggled mightily.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But, in fairness, they looked liked RKGs and they never once lost breakfast
Maybe, but on more than one occasion watching those teams made me feel like I was going to lose my breakfast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom