Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Still, I don't care if @Tonyc is right or wrong here. He's @Tonyc and he's allowed to say it.
I’ve admired posts from TonyC over time but I’m just not getting how certain posters have grandfathered rights over others who perhaps just joined just months ago? Nothing against TonyC mind you, in fact keep it coming, but just trying to understand the thinking.

Reaction Score
I don't think the story of this game or the last one was Aaliyah at all. She had 5 turnovers this game, didn't know what to do with the ball under the basket half of the time, and just isn't a complete basketball player. She is extremely athletic and if that can be turned into a complete basketball player in the next two years that would be great but right now I worry about her in the Elite 8 and FF games. Just too many mistakes.

I thought a big story these last two games was Evina. It's like she got a new jet pack. Her speed seems to have increased, her confidence is sky high, and she should have had even more assists. Her going coast to coast was great and showed a lot of people just what kind of a player she really is. She was leading scorer the last two games, tied for combined most assists in those games, and was a great floor general. It was heartwarming to see. She has had a lot on her shoulders this year and she will make some WNBA team very happy.

It was all about the defense again. With this many bodies, and with the caliber of players we have, the press and then tight man to man defense in the half court just wears you down. I thought the 2-3 zone was run really well also. On offense, just too many weapons and I was very glad Caroline got the ball tonight. She became a real offensive threat when she started during the season and has a tremendous future ahead of her. She can score in bunches underneath and can also sink the 3 as was shown tonight.

What can you say? We have been waiting all season and the way this team is forming now (still present tense) is both thrilling and interesting at the same time. During the dark days of the regular season I thought Geno's job was an awful one to have. Now I am completely jealous. So many combinations, so many fun ways to play, so many delightful players, all of which is making for one very unselfish team.
Couldn’t agree more with your assessments. Edwards with all that she brings, her footwork and hand-eye needs work but I’m hopeful. Love Evina and what she brings to the team, both on and off the court.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I’ve admired posts from TonyC over time but I’m just not getting how certain posters have grandfathered rights over others who perhaps just joined just months ago? Nothing against TonyC mind you, in fact keep it coming, but just trying to understand the thinking.
Like sunspots man, it just is.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Regarding CD channeling Maddy Seigrist, what in the hell is wrong with that? They are similar players in many ways. I think Seigrist would be an excellent player for CD to model going forward. Of course she could observe and learn some things from her, for example that move from the middle of the post area.

I think there are a lot of reasons why Azzi got the most pt. One reason is because right now she's our biggest scoring threat and Geno wants that scorer on the floor who can score at any time. And he is wise to optimize her for the NCAA. Azzi will be key to winning at least one game in the tournament, especially if we make it to the final 4.

I'm not so sure if Azzi isn't a better overall defender than Nika already. She doesn't get as many steals but she is rapidly improving as a defender. Is smart and moves her feet. In the last game or 2 she has really ramped things up. Her intensity is great and she gives so much more on the offensive side as well. I don't think we need Nika to be in there to be strong defensively. I have no problem with her starting and setting a tone but the team is fine defensively. We sometimes struggle to score at the beginning of games so maybe having more offense in there besides CW and Azzi would be good. Why not start Caroline? She is underutilized.
So you want to sit the BE Defensive Player of the Year and the teams PG. Geno has said for the last year and a half that this team is different when Nika is on the floor and that it's a good thing.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t agree more with your assessments. Edwards with all that she brings, her footwork and hand-eye needs work but I’m hopeful. Love Evina and what she brings to the team, both on and off the court.
my understanding is that someone mentioned that Evina lost a long time coach and that had hit her hard. That may explain why some people felt she was not herself. What I noticed was she was not smiling during good times at games when other players were. Last couple of games i saw some really gorgeous smiles on her face, ear to ear. Hope we can say a smile is gorgeous. What a wonderful sight. But I also have say no one on the team seams to have smiles like the ones posted of Dorka during the game. She has a look of sheer glee on her whole face. I hope someone is pointing out to her if she comes back next year she will have a lot more of those smiles, I don't think pros ever have smiles like that during games. For them it is more a business. This may be the most joyful time of her life, until baby Dorka hits 18, goes to UConn and hits some shots with Mommy in the stands. or gets some blocks, steals or rebounds. Just wish foreign players could earn NIL dollars. Seems so unfair.

Reaction Score
So you want to sit the BE Defensive Player of the Year and the teams PG. Geno has said for the last year and a half that this team is different when Nika is on the floor and that it's a good thing.
Geno's JOB is to encourage every player. He says what he needs to say to motivate players. Nika is a valuable player but of the 9 in the rotation, she is the least valuable of that group. She just happens to have a ton of other great players on her team. Everyone wants to encourage Nika but in the NCAA we should play the people who are most likely to help us win. If that means 7 minutes for Paige even, considering her current health, then so be it. It's about the team.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Geno's JOB is to encourage every player. He says what he needs to say to motivate players. Nika is a valuable player but of the 9 in the rotation, she is the least valuable of that group. She just happens to have a ton of other great players on her team. Everyone wants to encourage Nika but in the NCAA we should play the people who are most likely to help us win. If that means 7 minutes for Paige even, considering her current health, then so be it. It's about the team.
You really don't like Nika do you, not only does the coaches say that Nika is the spark plug, the players say the same thing. You put her down every chance you get and don't believe one word that the coaches and players say about her. Also she was voted by the opposing coaches the Big East Defensive Player of the Year.

Reaction Score
Not one of those fouls was remotely physical.
I will give you the first one by siegrist was not could not seethe second but Geno looked mad so I will base it on that. Do not want to see anything happen to Paige she is tryin* so hard to work her way back.

Reaction Score
I will give you the first one by siegrist was not could not seethe second but Geno looked mad so I will base it on that. Do not want to see anything happen to Paige she is tryin* so hard to work her way back.
Well, I don’t want to see anything to happen to any player, I wouldn’t dream of singling out an individual regarding getting injured. And if you think any of those fouls were with intent to injure, I disagree completely.

Reaction Score
Well, I don’t want to see anything to happen to any player, I wouldn’t dream of singling out an individual regarding getting injured. And if you think any of those fouls were with intent to injure, I disagree completely.
Three fouls on one person in under two minutes are unnecessary unless it’s the end of the game and are fouling to shoot.

Reaction Score
Geno also remembers his great success record of 13 straight Final Fours and 11 titles. He'll do what the situation calls for just as he has done every year. This year there are possibly no A/A's. Definitely no 1st team A/A's. When was the last time this has happened? Yet he has many players bunched in at being very, very, very, very, very, very, very good which he hasn't had in the past few years. Under these circumstances, if all the players continue to play well, Geno will play them.

It's not as much that "Geno has changed." It's that overall there are more players that are real good while none are absolutely super which means the team's overall strength has changed.

I am so happy for the seniors. A season to be proud of.
The last time UConn didn’t have an AA was in 2007 when Charde Houston, Renee Montgomery and Tina Charles were named HM AA by the AP.

Reaction Score
Three fouls on one person in under two minutes are unnecessary unless it’s the end of the game and are fouling to shoot.
What was Villanova's motivation to foul Paige at that point in the game? If they were trying to get her out of the game, those fouls were pretty feeble efforts. By then, it should've been clear they were better off having a sub-par Paige in the game rather than one of her teammates.

Reaction Score
The last time UConn didn’t have an AA was in 2007 when Charde Houston, Renee Montgomery and Tina Charles were named HM AA by the AP.
Was that the last time they didn't make /F?

Reaction Score
Agree with your comment regarding Dorka - after writing her off early in the year, she has been an unexpected bonus. If she comes back, 6'5" players with a fluid, energetic style that are solid 3-point shooters would warrant All American attention. I view her as a player that could make good, not great, money in Europe. Tough decision for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom