Video - Will Ducharme reach her potential or will injuries stop her? | The Boneyard

Video - Will Ducharme reach her potential or will injuries stop her?

sun

Reaction Score
This video discusses her entire injury history since she was a teen.
It focuses on how she hasn't been the same ever since her first head injury.
It's not her fault, even some pro players have trouble recovering from head injuries.
But fans are anxious to see if she can live up to her #5 high school ranking or will need more time.
The video characterizes her overall performance so far as being up & down.

Will Caroline Ducharme Reach her potential or will injuries stop this from happening? A Deep Dive

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This video discusses her entire injury history since she was a teen.
It focuses on how she hasn't been the same ever since her first head injury.
It's not her fault, even some pro players have trouble recovering from head injuries.
But fans are anxious to see if she can live up to her #5 high school ranking or will need more time.

I'm going to take a page from Tonyc's "Book of Unbridled Optimism", and predict that Caroline's days of woe and injury are all behind her. The forecast for her going forward is 72 degrees and sunny the rest of the way, and that her best days are still in front of her. Why look at this dynamic any other way? :rolleyes: Be positive. :D

Reaction Score
When this video first came out I remember thinking the guy was selling old information. Also, he ought to learn how to pronounce Jana's name if he's going to be putting this stuff out there.

Reaction Score
I watched a lot of Caroline's videos when she was in High School and she shot lights out all over the floor with 3's so far from the line, jumpers and lay-ups and thought she was going to be sensational at Uconn. Right then Caroline became my favorite player. But she became one of the most unlucky player I have ever seen with her 2 years of injury after injury. From her recent videos she seems OK, but I pray to God that she is recovered and will be the BB player she is destined to be at Uconn. I thought her number would be on the wall of the greats at Uconn. I am rooting for Caroline with all my heart and pray she stays healthy and leads Uconn to No.12 NC. It is why she came to Uconn. GO CAROLINE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Clickbait. I would only be interested if the information was from Caroline directly (interview).
If Caroline was less than 100% healthy and cleared to play, she would be an asset...she just has a basketball mentality!!!!

Reaction Score
Caroline has the skills and mindset to be incredible. Also, in the W. The only thing that really heals head injury is time and peace.

Reaction Score
I really worry about her. Honestly, one more concussion and that's it. Her health is much more important.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would like to see her play with a helmet :D
Rumor has it that a prototype basketball helmet for her has been delivered to Storrs. it features full head protection and a shaded lens to help with light sensitivity:

IMG_9489.jpeg

Personally, I think everyone will be wearing them soon.

Reaction Score
Caroline has a great mind for the game. She sets up the plays as well as anyone on the team and gets to the right spot. Her weakness is she isn't really quick and as a result she ends up in the middle of plays sometimes that result in her getting physically hammered. In the videos I have seen of her this summer she does look like she has made a solid commitment to her conditioning which hopefully will help her avoid some of the physical play.

If she is healthy she will really help the team and if she isn't they have others this year to take some of the pressure off of her.

Reaction Score
Obviously, recurring concussions a big issue in football. I can't think of a similar player going through this (repeated over time) in basketball?

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
Former Texas point guard (2002-05) Jamie Carey started her college career as a Cardinal (1999). Had multiple concussions during basketball workouts in her sophomore season which kept her out of the game for two years before finally being able to transfer and cleared to play for Coach Jody Conradt. Carey went on to have a good career at Forty Acres.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
For a glimpse of what she can be, recall the game at Mohegan Sun against Louisville on 12/19/21, UConn loses 69-64, where first year Caroline played all 40 minutes and led all scorers with 24 points.

She was a force to be reckoned with. A perusal of the active players for that game indicates that there were six players, three on each side, who have gone on to play in the WNBA. None shone brighter than she did that night.

Reaction Score
Post concussion symptoms can linger for a long time with some people. Former hockey player Marc Savard's career was cut short by concussions. In an interview he stated that post concussion symptoms lingered for a few years after his retirement & really hurt his quality of life. Fortunately they finally went away and he began a second career as a coach & is doing very well.

I'd hate for this to happen to Caroline (or anyone for that matter) I really hope her symptoms are gone and she can play the way she's capable of playing. Otherwise she ought to think about taking a leave of absence from the game until she's 100% recovered.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It is unfortunate to say so, but I'm afraid that Caroline is one flying elbow away from the end of her basketball career. I wonder if her parents have urged her to leave the sport before something serious happens.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Former Texas point guard (2002-05) Jamie Carey started her college career as a Cardinal (1999). Had multiple concussions during basketball workouts in her sophomore season which kept her out of the game for two years before finally being able to transfer and cleared to play for Coach Jody Conradt. Carey went on to have a good career at Forty Acres.
IIRC, Carey couldn't get cleared at Stanford and so transferred to Texas where they cleared her and she played with no problems.

Lori Chalupny (soccer player) had some concussions and after playing for the USWNT in the 2007 WC and 2008 Olympics they would not allow her to play for the USWNT from 2009 until 2014. But during that time she played professionally in the different women's leagues in the US with no problems. The USWNT finally let her come back for the 2015 WC.

Concussions can be a weird thing.

Reaction Score
What the basketball gods have in store for Caroline is a great mystery to me. We had that one great stretch where it was Caroline against the world due to the lack of players that could suit up and since then we haven't seen her play healthy. I'd love to see her have a terrific season this year but that is far from a sure thing. We can only hope for the best.

Reaction Score
This is one of my biggest question marks for the upcoming season. While a lot of the focus is understandably on Paige and Azzi’s health, Caroline’s situation is a big concern. I just worry because I’ve personally known people who had to permanently give up sports very suddenly after one concussion too many. And we’re all familiar with the effects they’ve had on various pro athletes.

I truly wish she could wear a helmet. I want her to be able to play, since we all know how much she can offer the team when healthy, but more importantly I want her to enjoy good health for now and in the future.

Reaction Score
If she does not reach her potential by being healthy, which is all it will take for her to get there, it will be a very sad turn of events for UCONN nation. She has a unique skill set, is fearless, and moves without the ball like you would want everyone to. She is also a great kid.

Reaction Score
Caroline has the skill set to become an all American. She is also one hit away from a very early retirement. I really hope that she will have the opportunity to safely play the game that she loves and will have the chance to show what she can do on the court. She’s a terrific player who can really help the team; I hope she’ll get the chance to do so.

Reaction Score
Caroline has a great mind for the game. She sets up the plays as well as anyone on the team and gets to the right spot. Her weakness is she isn't really quick and as a result she ends up in the middle of plays sometimes that result in her getting physically hammered. In the videos I have seen of her this summer she does look like she has made a solid commitment to her conditioning which hopefully will help her avoid some of the physical play.

If she is healthy she will really help the team and if she isn't they have others this year to take some of the pressure off of her.
Although I agree with most (not all) of your first paragraph, the last part of your last sentence is just another bit of wishful thinking. Outside of Paige, Azzi, Liya, Nika, Caroline and Aubrey, no one has yet proven at this level to be of any real help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom