Video on UConn international recruiting, Ines, more | The Boneyard

Video on UConn international recruiting, Ines, more

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Former player and coach, Rachel Galligan (Eastern Illinois class of 2010), now scouts foreign players for U.S. schools. She is the founder of Go Global Recruiting. The UConn coaching staff reached out to her about Ines. Anyway, Galligan talks a lot about UConn, Ines, and Geno (she’s a fan) but she also discusses the difference between high school and college in the U.S. and abroad. This is a pretty interesting 22 minute long video.

Reaction Score
Former player and coach, Rachel Galligan (Eastern Illinois class of 2010), now scouts foreign players for U.S. schools. She is the founder of Go Global Recruiting. The UConn coaching staff reached out to her about Ines. Anyway, Galligan talks a lot about UConn, Ines, and Geno (she’s a fan) but she also discusses the difference between high school and college in the U.S. and abroad. This is a pretty interesting 22 minute long video.

This is a really nice interview. It gave me a fuller appreciation of why American Head
Coaches look to Europe for talented players, e.g. Europe uses shot clocks which develops
"Quick decision making" in their guard play. I enjoyed the whole tape.

Reaction Score
This is a really nice interview. It gave me a fuller appreciation of why American Head
Coaches look to Europe for talented players, e.g. Europe uses shot clocks which develops
"Quick decision making" in their guard play.
I enjoyed the whole tape.
I'm a huge fan of the shot clock being used, especially the FIBA 24 second version. It's also used in Canada once players reach the U14 age group. There are so many benefits to it both for coaches and players, especially when it comes to basketball IQ and decision making as you noted.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Her name was mentioned in connection with Nika's recruiting. Nothing official. Very entertaining video. Finally we get to see a woman who had the vision to dedicate herself to the US-Europe Near and Mid East recruiting of elite WBB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks Nan. One of the best and most informative videos ever. A quick course on international basketball and recruiting. UConn obviously is world renown and this video solidifies that.
Ines and her story is another example of the "American Dream" and it can only happen in America. What a great opportunity.
Moreover, I come away from watching this video with tremendous respect for and admiration of Rachel Galligan. She is another example of the American Dream. Rachel is smart, sharp, and had the courage to start her own business. Both women and their stories prove we are going in the right direction.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
One of the best videos I've seen. From Geno & UConn recruiting. To Inês being where she is now and how she got here. To coaches adjusting their way of thinking regarding European players.

Makes me want to know more. :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Excellent interview. I would think that Geno will be doing more recruiting out of the US. One thing is for sure. Geno and UConn are the name and it seems the kids out there relish the opportunity to play for him. Nika Ines Dorka and Jana have opened the door and I would expect UConn to be looking for more players out of the US for a few reasons. One being the talent and two being less competition from other schools. Nan thanks so much for post this video. I absolutely luv it

Reaction Score
One of the best videos I've seen. From Geno & UConn recruiting. To Inês being where she is now and how she got here. To coaches adjusting their way of thinking regarding European players.

Makes me want to know more. :)
Question re your comment about coaches adjusting. Is it coaches from top programs or coaches in general? From my anecdotal perspective, it seems like international players were getting opportunities at D2 or mid-major programs for some time. And you have programs like USF who have relied heavily on international recruiting for years.

Another item to consider is that some international players, mainly from Europe or Australia may not see the NCAA as part of their path for a professional career. They have the opportunity to go pro sooner there and consider the WNBA at a later point, if they're interested.

Reaction Score
Her name was mentioned in connection with Nika's recruiting. Nothing official. Very entertaining video. Finally we get to see a woman who had the vision to dedicate herself to the US-Europe Near and Mid East recruiting of elite WBB.
Rachell Galligan was a four-time letter winner for Eastern Illinois WBB. 2005 - 2009.
She was Freshman of the Year, and All Conference the next three years. She was an
assistant coach at Ball State focusing on the post position.
She 6' 2" and played forward according to the Eastern Illinois home page archives.
She appears to love what she does... nice!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Amazing interview, looking at the quest to get Ines over here from Rachels point of view. I never thought of the magnitude of the decision that Ines had to make to come here, not knowing, literally nothing about us or our country. I have gained a lot of respect for Ines for making that journey, and really glad she did.

Reaction Score
Another item to consider is that some international players, mainly from Europe or Australia may not see the NCAA as part of their path for a professional career. They have the opportunity to go pro sooner there and consider the WNBA at a later point, if they're interested.
I think a lot may have depended on Inês coming from the Azores, where local opportunities may have been few. She was going to have to leave home to accomplish anything significant, and her willingness to go abroad even to go to a JuCo must say something about her ambition. She passed up any European pro or semi-pro options to go to a tiny college in Florida. I'm so glad we found her exactly when we did. It looks like Inês hit a sort of jackpot, too, getting a first class education and advancing her possible professional career beyond what that other option would have made possible.

Reaction Score
I wasn't aware that Auriemma and staff work regularly with Galligan. She certainly knows her stuff and has a total knowledge of the European, and in particular Portugal recruiting scene. Her coaching and playing background as a 6-2 post in addition to that knowledge could wind up being a key resource in UConn's recruitment of Clara Da Silva, the 6-6 kid we heard about back in September.

Reaction Score
I think a lot may have depended on Inês coming from the Azores, where local opportunities may have been few. She was going to have to leave home to accomplish anything significant, and her willingness to go abroad even to go to a JuCo must say something about her ambition. She passed up any European pro or semi-pro options to go to a tiny college in Florida. I'm so glad we found her exactly when we did. It looks like Inês hit a sort of jackpot, too, getting a first class education and advancing her possible professional career beyond what that other option would have made possible.
Great points. I should have been more specific regarding areas (e.g. France, Spain) where teams have development programs similar to soccer clubs.

Reaction Score
Great interview. Thanks for posting.

A bit off track, but the skill Ines has that brings a cheer in our TV room are her snap passes (is that the right term?). She receives a pass and fires a dime in a split second - one motion. I remember two from the game last evening. Perhaps that relates to long experience with shot clock. I'll add another - when on defense she switches onto a post, she plays way above her height and weight. And a third - ice at the foul strip.

Reaction Score
Great interview. Thanks for posting.

A bit off track, but the skill Ines has that brings a cheer in our TV room are her snap passes (is that the right term?). She receives a pass and fires a dime in a split second - one motion. I remember two from the game last evening. Perhaps that relates to long experience with shot clock. I'll add another - when on defense she switches onto a post, she plays way above her height and weight. And a third - ice at the foul strip.
Don't think this is off-track at all. Further confirms why UConn worked with Rachel in learning more about her. They obviously saw the potential and it's now showing up on the court in the time she's gotten.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Nan thanks for the video, I remember when I was in Germany and the Netherlands from 90 to 96 that women's club basketball was in it's infancy. Very few cities had clubs, most of it was regional and in major cities. When my wife and I went back in 2009 it was completely different, there was club basketball in her hometown which had a population of less than 20,000.

Most schools do not have sports teams, they are mostly ran by larger sports teams. In soccer the local team is a farm team to a major city team, which is most likely a feeder to one of the Bundesleaguer team's like Dortmund or Munich, it's the same for basketball. Many of the players who are school age go to regular school until they get a certain age, then they go to a sports school if they are good enough to play. They still have their studies, but instead of going to a trade school, they go to a sports school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom