Victory Formation | The Boneyard

Victory Formation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am dying to know why we ran two plays instead of taking a knee. Somebody please answer this. Somebody please ask the coach. Somebody please end this insanity.

Reaction Score
There's a 12 page thread discussing this and the pass play call on Whitmer's INT.

If you're looking for the media to ask, forget it. It's clear they don't think it's a big deal unless we lose.

Reaction Score
If there's enough time you would run a play to melt a few more seconds to avoid having to snap the ball on 4th down. I don't think that was necessary here as I'm pretty sure there was less than 2 minutes left when we snapped the ball on first down.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I am dying to know why we ran two plays instead of taking a knee. Somebody please answer this. Somebody please ask the coach. Somebody please end this insanity.
From the Chat yesterday:

11:15

[Comment From Perry MasonPerry Mason: ]
Dez, any explanation from coaching staff as to why we continued to run plays at the end and risk a fumble? The only reasonable explanations I can come up with are a) all the rest of us did the math on the clock wrong and they had to run a couple plays, or b) the coaches were worried about Pitt going all Greg Schiano and have so little faith in the line that they thought Whitmer would get bumped before he could kneel.

Monday November 12, 2012 11:15 Perry Mason
11:17

John Silver:
I was not on Saturday call. So I have not heard an explanation. UConn won, so it's not an issue. But, fir house keeping purposes, flat out, the staff has to do a quicker job with the math. The staff ran two plays, and McCOmbs almost got blasted on one play. Someone on that staff has to be in charge of the math. The OC has too many issues to deal with to take that into account.

Monday November 12, 2012 11:17 John Silver
11:19

Desmond:
No real explanation but in the end not an issue
Comment From ObserverObserver: ] Why did GDL, run two real plays after getting a first down inside of less than two minutes to play? Add in the interception in the end zone and meltdown that opened the door for Pitt to come back, and I think these coaches need to get their heads checked.

Monday November 12, 2012 11:25 Observer
11:25

John Silver:
Rough loss for UConn on Friday.

Monday November 12, 2012 11:25 John Silver
11:25

Desmond:
Can't win for losing

I understand that winning masks a lot of problems, but the neither writer really had a good reason why the coaches as a collective group couldn't do the math. Also, both writers seemed to think that winning the game meant that constructive criticism was inappropriate.

Reaction Score
The fact is, this is the 2nd or 3rd time Pasqualoni has done this. It's pretty obvious that he thinks there are 100 seconds in a minute, which is also what the 4 year old who lives next door to my thinks.

Common error.

Reaction Score
The fact is, this is the 2nd or 3rd time Pasqualoni has done this. It's pretty obvious that he thinks there are 100 seconds in a minute, which is also what the 4 year old who lives next door to my thinks.

Common error.

Damn metric system. So confusing.

Reaction Score

Common error.
Ok, here is a better question...maybe...When was the last time you(or anybody, not just you) has seen this happen with a "relevant" school? I'm just trying to put this in perspective.

I'm completely taken back by the lack of coaching. If its not one thing, its another with these guys. They finally get their/our team doing well, then the 2nd half comes and nothing and then the Victory Formation thing. I dont care about the int that should have been a TD. That was a physical mistake, not mental.

Reaction Score
If we were in the running for the league title and in the top 25 the reason for asking questions about the final set of downs would matter a whole lot more. Since we are 4-6 the press guys want to overlook this trait of incompetence by two coaches in THEIR SIXTIES!!! We are all just negative nancy's. It was an honest question to ask and hopefully will be asked at the next coach interview by Warde.

Reaction Score
How much happier would you be with the season and the program if these jokers got the victory formation to your specifications? Would that make it all better? Or would it be just about the same? Definition of "materiality." Would it make a difference in your lives?

Reaction Score
The fact is, this is the 2nd or 3rd time Pasqualoni has done this.

They made idiotic clock mistakes 3-4 times last year alone, and 2-3 this year. If they insist on playing close games decided by less than a TD, you can't F up the clock on a quarter of your games. I was willing to look the other way last year, giving them the benefit of the doubt due to their being out of their HC shoes for a while, but for Dez and Silver to pretend this isn't a problem only makes them look even dumber than those responsible.

It frustrates the bejesus out of me when GDL is milking the clock to protect a lead late in the game and we don't even run the play clock below 10-15 seconds before we snap. How can we screw up so bad on the basics?

Reaction Score
How much happier would you be with the season and the program if these jokers got the victory formation to your specifications? Would that make it all better? Or would it be just about the same? Definition of "materiality." Would it make a difference in your lives?
I think you might be effed in the head.
It is a big deal and shows a lack of competency as a coach/coaches. Mental mistakes are horrid and completely unacceptable. period. These guys are on the hot seat, then they go and pull something like this that make everyone and their mother wonder what the hell is going on inside these guys heads.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I really don't think materiality to individual lives is the point people are trying to make. Is the subject being blown out of proportion after the fact? Yeah, probably. I think people are merely pointing out that the staff's lack of awareness is a microcosm of a greater issue and a single win does not negate that greater issue.

Reaction Score
How much happier would you be with the season and the program if these jokers got the victory formation to your specifications? Would that make it all better? Or would it be just about the same? Definition of "materiality." Would it make a difference in your lives?[/quote

If they haven't demonstrated by cleaning this up after 22 games back on the college scene that this is a problem going forward, then it has implications for the programs future. As for this season maybe paying attention to the details would have resulted in better performance in the close games. Situational football is something that teams need to focus on and be taught. This end of game stuff probably extends to other areas.

Reaction Score
Consider this my donation to the UCONN Football Program:

FCMcover200.gif

Reaction Score

That's a pretty simplistic response. Does the outcome of any game really make a material difference in your life? It's a friggin game, so I'd hope not. That being said aren't you at all concerned when the people in charge of running the football team lack such basic competencies? We're not talking about disagreeing with a play call, we're talking about basic competencies. If you got in a taxi and the driver had the parking break on the whole time and couldn't get out of first gear, wouldn't you have reservations about using him again, even if he got you there safe?

Reaction Score
I just don't see why there is any confidence in this group of coaches to manage a game. I cannot think of a single instance where they have instilled confidence in that regard. On the other hand, there are any number of instances where they appear not to be aware of situations and time.

Look, I'm tired of tting on these guys, but here is my bottom line. This is the University of Connecticut where athletic excellence is not an option it's a requirement. P, you want the job? Then duck'n prove you deserve it. Make the changes necessary to fix the offense and manage a game as the best of the best. If you can't do that, then get out. That simple.

Reaction Score
I just don't see why there is any confidence in this group of coaches to manage a game. I cannot think of a single instance where they have instilled confidence in that regard. On the other hand, there are any number of instances where they appear not to be aware of situations and time.

Look, I'm tired of tting on these guys, but here is my bottom line. This is the University of Connecticut where athletic excellence is not an option it's a requirement. P, you want the job? Then duck'n prove you deserve it. Make the changes necessary to fix the offense and manage a game as the best of the best. If you can't do that, then get out. That simple.
Boo yaoooo!

Reaction Score
I got laughed at along with some ps3 comment, those 2 guys are clueless, will never go on that chat again

Reaction Score
I got laughed at along with some ps3 comment, those 2 guys are clueless, will never go on that chat again
yeah. they are a joke. At least i think so. who hired these people?

Reaction Score

I'd personally be much happier.

Reaction Score
There's a 12 page thread discussing this and the pass play call on Whitmer's INT.

If you're looking for the media to ask, forget it. It's clear they don't think it's a big deal unless we lose.

Not going into the Victory Formation was poor coaching. The pass play call on Whitmer's INT was good coaching. The best defense at that point in the game is another 7 points. You keep attacking at that point. #94 was open and alone. Whitmer's pass (and I thought he played pretty well overall) was crap. #Griffen is 6'6" tall and how many times are the UConn QBs gonna throw over his freakin head. Remember in the Papa John Bowl, Frazer overthrowing him on what would have been a sure TD. A good passing team makes those throws and UConn better become a good passing team if it ever really wants to make a go of it in the entertainment business-AKA, Division I college football.

Reaction Score
Not going into the Victory Formation was poor coaching. The pass play call on Whitmer's INT was good coaching. The best defense at that point in the game is another 7 points. You keep attacking at that point. #94 was open and alone. Whitmer's pass (and I thought he played pretty well overall) was crap. #Griffen is 6'6" tall and how many times are the UConn QBs gonna throw over his freakin head. Remember in the Papa John Bowl, Frazer overthrowing him on what would have been a sure TD. A good passing team makes those throws and UConn better become a good passing team if it ever really wants to make a go of it in the entertainment business-AKA, Division I college football.

I'm pretty much done explaining this. Griffen was wide open because Pitt didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to throw the ball there. Best case for Pitt they pick it off. Worst case they are down 3 scores with 5 minutes to play, which is a lot better than being down 3 scores with 3 minutes to play.

But you're consistent.......defending throwing the ball at costs. Just throw, baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom