Vic Cegles, Long-Time AD At Long Beach State, Coming To UConn as Deputy AD | The Boneyard

Vic Cegles, Long-Time AD At Long Beach State, Coming To UConn as Deputy AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cegles, Long-Time AD At Long Beach State, Coming To UConn To Help Benedict

>>While at Long Beach, Cegles emphasized "resource acquisition," and established the Beach Athletic Club in 2006, which focused on centralizing and enhancing the annual fund. The university's first-ever capital campaign and raised more than $25 million for athletics, that supported locker room renovations, stadium scoreboards, videoboards, branding displays, a baseball hitting and training facility and scholarship enhancement. Long Beach won 36 Big West championships and made 70 NCAA postseason appearances during his time there, and won the conference's Commissioner's Cup six-consecutive years. Cegles' hired Dan Monson, the winningest coach in the men's basketball program's history.

His experience in facilities development could be important at UConn, with its plans to build facilities for baseball, softball and soccer in the next couple of years.

In addition to his "external areas" duties at UConn, Cegles will serve as the sport administrator for the men's basketball, baseball and golf programs.

"The University of Connecticut is nationally recognized for academic achievement and athletic success," Cegles said. "I look forward to working with their outstanding coaches, staff and student-athletes. I am most appreciative of the opportunity to assist David in managing their aspirations as they pursue national and conference championships and life-changing opportunities."<<

Reaction Score
A former coach, Cegles served as a basketball assistant at Carnegie Mellon University (1980-81) and as an assistant basketball and baseball coach at West Virginia Wesleyan (1973-76) and Indiana University of Pennsylvania (1972-83).
This guy's good, he concurrently coached a few schools located an hour or more apart. Edit much? ;)

Reaction Score
Im now 100% convinced. There is something in the works. Quality people dont take jobs at UConn if we are destined to be stuck in the AAC.
Or he's nearing retirement and plans to mentor Benedict for a year or 2. Guy is 68 not like he's looking to make a career in Storrs

Reaction Score
While I recall that Jeff Hathaway was Lew Perkins Asst. AD, I can't recall who Hathaway's deputy was? Did he even have one? Did WM have someone in a defined assistant AD role? This hiring of Cegles with its commensurate expense seems to be a clear and present recognition that lots of Benedict's time and attention needs to be spent on the P-5 front, necessitating a second-in-command to care for the more mundane tasks of an athletic director. Is that a plausible explanation, or have I missed something?

Reaction Score
While I recall that Jeff Hathaway was Lew Perkins Asst. AD, I can't recall who Hathaway's deputy was? Did he even have one? Did WM have someone in a defined assistant AD role? This hiring of Cegles with its commensurate expense seems to be a clear and present recognition that lots of Benedict's time and attention needs to be spent on the P-5 front, necessitating a second-in-command to care for the more mundane tasks of an athletic director. Is that a plausible explanation, or have I missed something?

Nos - didnt Doug Gnodtke fill that role w/ WM? Don't think it was titled Deputy Athletic Director though but thought he was the clear #2.

Still think this a value add to department especially w/ his previous P5 experience and departmental focus where he has been.

Reaction Score
Or he's nearing retirement and plans to mentor Benedict for a year or 2. Guy is 68 not like he's looking to make a career in Storrs
Benedict wouldn't have been hired if he needed mentoring. Also, I don't think you move across the country to take the no. 2 position in an athletic department at a G5 school because you're nearing retirement and want to ease out. He came here to do a job and a job Benedict needs help with...a big job.

Reaction Score
Nos - didnt Doug Gnodtke fill that role w/ WM? Don't think it was titled Deputy Athletic Director though but thought he was the clear #2.

Still think this a value add to department especially w/ his previous P5 experience and departmental focus where he has been.
Medic you are correct Doug Gnodtke filled the role for WM that Cegles will do for Benedict at UConn. Hathaway most likely didn't have someone like that so he could show he was saving money and et a bigger raise! The Hathaway era at UConn..one Husky fans are trying to mentally erase day by day!

Reaction Score
Hathaway most likely didn't have someone like that so he could show he was saving money
That's often the route taken by weak leaders who don't feel they can articulate the justification for needing to spend money for help. It almost always comes back to bite.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Benedict wouldn't have been hired if he needed mentoring. Also, I don't think you move across the country to take the no. 2 position in an athletic department at a G5 school because you're nearing retirement and want to ease out. He came here to do a job and a job Benedict needs help with...a big job.
Agreed, this was a strategic hire.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could well be wrong but my guess is this hire was due entirely to his experience as a fund raiser. We have major athletic projects that need further funding. If Cegles takes charge of that function Benedict can focus on other priorities.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Means one of two things--either we're headed somewhere good and thus can lure an AD from a decent program, or we are staying put and thus need yet another guy with major fundraising experience to soften the blow of G5 and the well that's drying more quickly than we can imagine. Hopefully it's the former.

Reaction Score
Means one of two things--either we're headed somewhere good and thus can lure an AD from a decent program, or we are staying put and thus need yet another guy with major fundraising experience to soften the blow of G5 and the well that's drying more quickly than we can imagine. Hopefully it's the former.
Agree with your first thing. As for your second, why would a long standing AD leave his post to come raise money for a G5 school?

Reaction Score
Agree with your first thing. As for your second, why would a long standing AD leave his post to come raise money for a G5 school?
Pals with Benedict. Prefers jalapeño mac and cheese over fish tacos. Likes snow

Reaction Score
Ticket sales, fund raising expertise. His son is associate AD at Albany and his other son is ssociate AD at Kent state. Opportunity and closer to family may have been factors as well.

Reaction Score
This has to be completely Benedict's call, so he thinks he needs the guy. I would be curious to see if their paths have crossed in the past. It could be a payback type of thing.

Reaction Score
I would be curious to see if their paths have crossed in the past.

Widely reported:
  • Cegles gave Benedict his first job at Arizona State University and helped groom him as a fundraiser.
  • Benedict also worked for Cegles at Long Beach State from 2007-10, where he administered external areas of the department and restructured the fundraising process.

Reaction Score
Widely reported:
  • Cegles gave Benedict his first job at Arizona State University and helped groom him as a fundraiser.
  • Benedict also worked for Cegles at Long Beach State from 2007-10, where he administered external areas of the department and restructured the fundraising process.
Did you really expect Pal to actually read the article you like linked/quoted and then all the posts in the thread before posting...

Reaction Score
So even without reading the article, Palatine's speculation was right on. It's like he's a genius.

Reaction Score
So even without reading the article, Palatine's speculation was right on. It's like he's a genius.
Yeah too bad you were speculating while every other post in this thread was well beyond that. But if it makes you feel better all the power to you.

Reaction Score
Yeah too bad you were speculating while every other post in this thread was well beyond that. But if it makes you feel better all the power to you.
Actually every other post is based on nothing, neither proven right or wrong. Pal's was right on!

Reaction Score
Actually every other post is based on nothing, neither proven right or wrong. Pal's was right on!
Yeah and Younalso think Jerry Reese is a good GM...like I said if it makes you feel better more power to you. If you need the name of a good orthopedist to take a look at your shoulder from patting yourself on the back so much let me know. Feel free to stop by my tailgate in the Gold Lot during games..I'm sure you will be thirsty from the long ride up from DC. Just look for the flag in my avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom