Very Positive, Very Worrying Developments ONO & Squeaks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Very Positive, Very Worrying Developments ONO & Squeaks

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Really? Why would you even remotely think that?????

Why to stimulate discussion of course! :) There are other reasons of course, just on being a growing suspicion that Geno is dealing with limited time in his career and his own goals before he leaves. We have seen this shift in legendary coaches in other professions. I hope he is not shading his judgment, even subliminely, with that factor. :(

Reaction Score
Geno does require that they graduate, but If you’re good enough you can - in addition to having basketball as your ‘real’ major - have an academic major such as “General Studies” or “Sports and Society.”

There is no major in "Sports and Society", and "General Studies" is reserved for returning adults who already amassed a large number of credits earlier in their life.

Reaction Score
So maybe not Mourtuary Science(name the recruit) or Linquistics(name the recruit) to become a CIA language expert then??? When UConn becomes a factory for sports with cake walk academics alone, then the culture created at UConn dies.

We'll just agree to disagree with this one buddy of mine. :)
Just sayin’ - the reality of UConn is Paige B will be majoring in basketball with an academic minor. She decided where to study based on basketball. And who would be teaching her basketball.

Reaction Score
The only thing worrisome about ONO and Christyn is what they will be doing to other teams this season! i.e. worrisome for their opponents!!

I love how hard both have worked this summer, but moreover, how many different types of basketball situations they have put themselves in. I think it will pay big dividends this year...
Same here. I don't understand this concern about basketball overload. The only way to improve your game in the offseason is individual skill workouts supplemented by playing against serious competition. If you don't improve, especially at the D1 level you'll get bypassed. By that I mean your coaches will recruit right over you.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The majority of the players that have WNBA future major in communications, sociology, or exploratory studies. Their not majoring in engineering, pre-med, mathematics or any other STEM type majors. They’ll have no problem getting their course work completed.
Not buying this very lazy stereotype.
ONO has given up on her aspirations to be a doctor?
Megan Walker came to UCONN partially because of the Kinesiology major? I didn't know what Kinesiology was so I looked it up and maybe you should too.

Reaction Score
Just sayin’ - the reality of UConn is Paige B will be majoring in basketball with an academic minor. She decided where to study based on basketball. And who would be teaching her basketball.

None of that means that she, or other players, does not care or value their education. Being a little too cynical for me.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not buying this very lazy stereotype.
ONO has given up on her aspirations to be a doctor?
Megan Walker came to UCONN partially because of the Kinesiology major? I didn't know what Kinesiology was so I looked it up and maybe you should too.

Lazy and cynical thinking and posting. Just another day here.

Reaction Score
None of that means that she, or other players, does not care or value their education. Being a little too cynical for me.
Didn’t say she & others don’t care or value their education. But the reality is they’re coming because of basketball. Is that a bad thing? I can’t count all the, “Please come to UConn - you’ll get the best coaching, best prep for the WNBA” posts on this forum. So I’m cynical? Geez, reading the Boneyard one might think we wanted them to come for that reason. Anyway, cynical or realistic, they’re majoring in basketball.

Reaction Score
Only the one's with wings. Otherwise they walk behind the plane. In the past some did.
One concern is the too long time playing BB. A Uconn Ortho spoke to this last Winter ---the more playing time the more danger of injuries--it becomes WHEN not AN if.. These 2 a a big chunk of the Franchise!!

Time is relative, listen to the guy below. We on Earth are told another asteroid will do us in...not IF but WHEN.

Reaction Score
Didn’t say she & others don’t care or value their education. But the reality is they’re coming because of basketball. Is that a bad thing? I can’t count all the, “Please come to UConn - you’ll get the best coaching, best prep for the WNBA” posts on this forum. So I’m cynical? Geez, reading the Boneyard one might think we wanted them to come for that reason. Anyway, cynical or realistic, they’re majoring in basketball.

I continue to hold the view that UConn is a school with a basketball team, not a “basketball factory” where the occasional class is required.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I continue to hold the view that UConn is a school with a basketball team, not a “basketball factory” where the occasional class is required.

Azzi. Don't listen. We are a basketball factory ;)

The best of the best are highly motivated and ambitious and meet and enjoy any challenge they face

Hitting the books and the outside shot is not a problem. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is a solid & sustained POV!

2018-19 All AAC Academic Team
Molly Bent
Batouly Camara
Mikayla Coombs
Kyla Irwin
2017-18 All AAC Academic Team
Molly Bent
Batouly Camara
Crystal Dangerfield
Lexi Gordon
Kyla Irwin
Kia Nurse
Katie Lou Samuelson
Gabrielle Williams

2010-11 Maya Moore was named Academic AA for All NCAA Sports not just Women's basketball
2017-17 Kia Nurse was named Academic AA.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The funny thing on this tangential discussion is virtually very few women can make life changing money by going professional and will need their education to earn money past the age of 27. To say they are majoring in basketball is partly true as they get a free education and have to commit 20 hours a week to games and practices. This program in particular demands and offers a lot of peripheral support be it academic advisors, media training, time management, career mentoring etc that not all other top programs can really offer. Add in the ever improving academic reputation and Scholastic Ranking, we are all partially right.
Athletes choose schools mostly due to the coach and the program, then the location and academics, not necessarily in that exact order.
I know are more esteemed visiting posters like to tout ND, Duke, Stanford etc but I have seen plenty of us State School types who are more impressive in their skills than these other credentialed grads. It’s what is inside each person that is the difference maker, which we all know, though some chose to ignore. Don’t sell Paige, Azzi or Kamilla short on their reasoning! ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The funny thing on this tangential discussion is virtually very few women can make life changing money by going professional and will need their education to earn money past the age of 27. To say they are majoring in basketball is partly true as they get a free education and have to commit 20 hours a week to games and practices. This program in particular demands and offers a lot of peripheral support be it academic advisors, media training, time management, career mentoring etc that not all other top programs can really offer. Add in the ever improving academic reputation and Scholastic Ranking, we are all partially right.
Athletes choose schools mostly due to the coach and the program, then the location and academics, not necessarily in that exact order.
I know are more esteemed visiting posters like to tout ND, Duke, Stanford etc but I have seen plenty of us State School types who are more impressive in their skills than these other credentialed grads. It’s what is inside each person that is the difference maker, which we all know, though some chose to ignore. Don’t sell Paige, Azzi or Kamilla short on their reasoning! ;)
Universal agreement with the exception of the part about the players getting a "free education"-a long standing pet peeve of mine. An athletic scholarship is not a free education.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well talking about basketball is much more fun that talking about GPA's...So lets put this to rest.

Reaction Score
Hey look, graduating from Geno's class will get you far in life. There is no doubt about it, that surviving UCONN basketball class for 4-years is no small achievement. Learning how to balance UCONN basketball and getting a college degree is a great achievement, and will get you far in life.

Reaction Score
It's really hard to figure out what the team's major's are, but the Lowe's senior class award (in combination with uconnhuskies.com) yielded the following:

Molly Bent - Exploratory major
Kyla Irwin - Speech language and hearing science
Kia Nurse - Indiviualized Sport in Media major
Gabrielle Williams - Urban and community studies
Breanna Stewart - Individualized; sport in society
Moriah Jefferson - Individualized; youth in sport
Kiah Stokes - Individualized major
Stephanie Dolson - Communication Sciences
Maya Moore - Individualized major
Renee Montgomery - Communications
Sue Bird - Communications

As someone super keen on the concept of student-athlete, I had read some exciting stories about Bent's interest in math, Lawlor's studies in engineering, and Pulido's pre-med aspirations, but in all of those cases those student-athlete's later changed course - which, of course, is their perogative. Maya Moore's academic prowess was lauded, so I was a bit disappointed when I read this:

STUDENT-ATHLETE: Moore has one class this semester, news writing for radio and television, and it meets twice a week. The Academic All-American has an individualized major titled "sports, media and promotion."

She's working with a partner on a project about UConn's new football coach Paul Pasqualoni.

But obviously, much credit to Maya too, for completing her course work on an accelerated schedule to be able to be talking only one course in her last semester.

Graduating in all these majors should be celebrated: it is not a 'free-ride', but a lot of hard work. However, it is very rare that a DI women's basketball player, at any university, graduates in an STEM field. Even Elizabeth Williams, famous for wanting to be a doctor, graduated in psychology, as did Pulido (and was reported to have missed road games to do it), and Nneka Ogwumike. Of recent UConn graduates, personally, I am most impressed with Heather Buck having completed the Nursing program. I am hoping that Belibi might be able to buck the trend. Or Nelson-Ododa.

Reaction Score
I have never been a fan of a year-round basketball schedule. Unfortunately, it starts very early in their career to the point that many players just get burned out before they even get to college. They need to have a break sometime although in today's competitive basketball scene that seems unlikely. I seriously doubt that playing for the national team other than the exposure really does the gals much good.

Reaction Score
I have never been a fan of a year-round basketball schedule. Unfortunately, it starts very early in their career to the point that many players just get burned out before they even get to college. They need to have a break sometime although in today's competitive basketball scene that seems unlikely. I seriously doubt that playing for the national team other than the exposure really does the gals much good.
Agree on the year-round basketball, burnout before they get to college. Seems like lots of recruits are already wearing flexible knee braces, already have chronic joint pain by the time they show up. Once they get to college they're done with AAU ball, though most of them do try to fill their summers with some sort of training. Not sure if college is a little bit of a break from the year-round stuff or not. Anyway, back to the year-round grind after college if they want to make a good living at it.

Disagree on playing for the national team, though. The college kids that get to go to those NT training camps always come back raving about how much it helps their game to play with that highest level of players. Suspect playing in the summers for the age-level USA Basketball teams has similar benefits too - playing with the very best players in their age groups, plus learning to quickly adapt to different styles, different coaching, different teammates has to have tremendous benefits.

Reaction Score
It's really hard to figure out what the team's major's are, but the Lowe's senior class award (in combination with uconnhuskies.com) yielded the following:

Molly Bent - Exploratory major
Kyla Irwin - Speech language and hearing science
Kia Nurse - Indiviualized Sport in Media major
Gabrielle Williams - Urban and community studies
Breanna Stewart - Individualized; sport in society
Moriah Jefferson - Individualized; youth in sport
Kiah Stokes - Individualized major
Stephanie Dolson - Communication Sciences
Maya Moore - Individualized major
Renee Montgomery - Communications
Sue Bird - Communications

As someone super keen on the concept of student-athlete, I had read some exciting stories about Bent's interest in math, Lawlor's studies in engineering, and Pulido's pre-med aspirations, but in all of those cases those student-athlete's later changed course - which, of course, is their perogative. Maya Moore's academic prowess was lauded, so I was a bit disappointed when I read this:

STUDENT-ATHLETE: Moore has one class this semester, news writing for radio and television, and it meets twice a week. The Academic All-American has an individualized major titled "sports, media and promotion."

She's working with a partner on a project about UConn's new football coach Paul Pasqualoni.

But obviously, much credit to Maya too, for completing her course work on an accelerated schedule to be able to be talking only one course in her last semester.

Graduating in all these majors should be celebrated: it is not a 'free-ride', but a lot of hard work. However, it is very rare that a DI women's basketball player, at any university, graduates in an STEM field. Even Elizabeth Williams, famous for wanting to be a doctor, graduated in psychology, as did Pulido (and was reported to have missed road games to do it), and Nneka Ogwumike. Of recent UConn graduates, personally, I am most impressed with Heather Buck having completed the Nursing program. I am hoping that Belibi might be able to buck the trend. Or Nelson-Ododa.
The problem is the labs. If you play on a D1 sports team it’s just about impossible to make it to lab portion of the class. I personally know a I student athlete at a lower D1 program where the Coach only allowed the kids to have certain major.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

For Pulido, she was on a pre-med track with a psychology major because she was considering going into neurology. Spring of her senior year, she took biochemistry, Physics II, a physiology psychology lab and [was] doing research. She wasn't cutting corners for basketball. She ended up with a master's in Global Sustainability from South Florida. But she left UConn with the foundation she would have needed for med-school.

faces-of-farming-lawlor.jpg

Lawlor had an individualized major in Sustainable Farm and Ranch Management. It was a mix of agriculture and economics courses, and she said she switched to it from civil engineering because she missed the animals she worked with in high school at a horse boarding facility. Yes, she switched majors, but from all indications it seemed to be much more in her wheelhouse.

As for Maya, I'm pretty sure it's common practice for graduating seniors who are draft bound to only take only one class their last semester on campus. She still needed the 66+ credit hours she needed to finish her degree and you know they're on campus taking classes in the summers -- something most students don't do.

Any of the individualized majors need a university minimum of 66 credit hours, with 36 hours being 2000 level classes and above, and include a capstone project. CLAS and CAHNR both have specific requirements for creating and declaring those majors.

These are kids that have been regularly missing school for athletic events since at least high school, so I'd imagine they're coming in already able to navigate how to talk to teachers/professors and balance their workload. The kids who have struggled to do that, Geno doesn't seem to go after.

Paths change, like you said, but it doesn't seem like they went down a non-academic path for the sake of the Geno Auriemma College of Basketball.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Talk about year round basketball!

Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Christyn Williams and several UConn alums set to train with USA Basketball in Miami

"Ahead of the start of the 2019-2020 UConn women’s basketball season, sophomores Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Christyn Williams are back at it with USA Basketball.

The pair were two of six collegiate players selected to participate in the USA Basketball women’s national team training camp, which will take place Sept. 17-19 in Miami ahead of next week’s FIBA AmeriCup."

My apologies on this one to posters and Geno alike. In my haste I failed to noe the invite was more than training with the team but try outs for Pan Am USA team! That changes everything. Makes perfect sense now:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With all of the extra curricular outside exposure to playing basketball around the world, competing against some of the best players in their age group, Liv and Christyn cannot return to the program this fall the same as they left. Freshmen no more, they return with a year + of college level and international level of experience under their belt.

Going into their sophomore year, they know exactly what’s coming and how to prepare for it. Spending 3 days with USA basketball can’t hurt either. It’s impossible to play as much international basketball and working out with grown professional women for 3 days and not make the sophomore leap. I’m guessing they already have.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn sophomore Olivia Nelson-Ododa and four former Huskies comprise five of the 12 members of the U.S.'s FIBA AmeriCup Team roster, announced Thursday afternoon.
Nelson-Ododa, Tina Charles, Stefanie Dolson, Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson and the rest of the U.S. team will compete in the tournament, held in Puerto Rico Sept. 22-29.
Other athletes selected include Sylvia Fowles, Jordin Canada, Diamond DeShields, Arike Ogunbowale, Khadijah Sessions, Brittney Sykes and Elizabeth Williams.
Nelson-Ododa is the only college player.

What does her selection to the team say about her current skill set? This answers the question of whether she will make the sophomore leap. She already has. ;) She's been selected to play with the BIG girls.

I’m not going to entertain anymore queries about when and if she’s going to make the sophomore leap. She’s passed the “eye test” of those responsible for gathering the best female basketball players in the country to compete internationally. She would not have been invited to join the national team if her skill set was still that of a freshman.

Based on what I’ve seen to date, I’m predicting that ONO will put her name and jersey number on the walls in Gampel and the Werth Center before she leaves. I think she’ll be that good.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom