Verducci Demoted | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Verducci Demoted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
... or at least is feeling the heat of failure.
Exactly, it also puts Diaco himself more directly in the spotlight as now if the offensive woes continue, it's not just the case of a bad OC, it's bad recruiting, bad planning, and an overall bad system - which points directly at the head coach, not a week 10 replacement coordinator.

Reaction Score
This is a business. Head coaches have to rely on their coaches and especially their coordinators. I personally think there is a huge talent problem on the offensive side of the ball with this team. Still, no one thinks that our OC has done a great job. I'm happy to see the move. Poindexter should be worried about his position too if our defense doesn't rebound in the next game.

Reaction Score
This is a business. Head coaches have to rely on their coaches and especially their coordinators. I personally think there is a huge talent problem on the offensive side of the ball with this team. Still, no one thinks that our OC has done a great job. I'm happy to see the move. Poindexter should be worried about his position too if our defense doesn't rebound in the next game.

I disagree. The defense hasn't performed well this year, but it did last year. The offense hasn't been good in years.

Reaction Score
they have been doing those responsibilities on the OL/TE's all season that way Kgun.

My bad FDNY ... I read that as Verducci "will now also coach T's" ... not "will now only coach TE's and T's" .... although T's is not currently listed under Verducci's BIO on the UCONN Football homepage.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
At this point I'm not sure it makes a difference. But it seems HCBD is now going with a third inexperienced OC. It's strange - he must really not think too highly of Lineburg's actual experience as an OC when he was at Richmond.
I don't see how his time at Richmond can hold much relevance and beyond that he hasn't shown a lot as a QB coach.

I imagine that today's move was an interim replacement and there will be a new OC (would not be surprised if he is also a QB coach) before spring practice begins along with another move or two.

Reaction Score
I disagree. The defense hasn't performed well this year, but it did last year. The offense hasn't been good in years.
You statement is correct but the talent level on defense is at a much higher level than the talent on our offense in my opinion. I know many boneyarders disagree with me but it is hard to be a great OC with no quarterback, no real running back ( Newsome is a great space guy but not a inside runner) and poor run blocking offensive line. Still, Verducci could have done a better job utilizing the talent that he did have on our offense. In my view our DC deserves the same scrutiny as our OC when we evaluate the job he has done so far. Are you impressed with the job that Poindexter has done this year?

Reaction Score
We have been asking for better play calling all year. My fear is that even if we get improved play calling the offense is still a dumpster failure. You can call any play you want but if the players aren't winning their individual battles you will still fail. Transversely if you have dominant players you can overcome any play calling and still move the ball. It is a lot easier to be a good play caller when you have talent. With Noel Thomas as our only offensive weapon it is going to be tough.

Reaction Score
Did BD say which plays he suggested that were successful?

All optics at this point and perhaps a reaction/decision driven by the AD and big donor/fan pressure applied to the AD. To expect anything radically different from the offense on Friday is setting yourself up for excessive anger and frustration.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see the scheme that was developed over 18 months and practiced since spring ball changing.

Reaction Score
Did BD say which plays he suggested that were successful?

All optics at this point and perhaps a reaction/decision driven by the AD and big donor/fan pressure applied to the AD. To expect anything radically different from the offense on Friday is setting yourself up for excessive anger and frustration.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see the scheme that was developed over 18 months and practiced since spring ball changing.
Go back and watch his ECU post game presser outside the stadium..and reads his comments in the post game articles. He hinted at this immediately after the game. He is taking ownership of his program good, bad or indifferent. Now he either sinks or swims. He messes up this next OC hire and he will be back to coaching defenses as a DC somewhere.

Reaction Score
At this point I'm not sure it makes a difference. But it seems HCBD is now going with a third inexperienced OC. It's strange - he must really not think too highly of Lineburg's actual experience as an OC when he was at Richmond.

Cummings was an experienced OC when Diaco hired him. Unfortunately, he did not have much success as Central Michigan's OC. That was an odd hire, but hiring Verducci as OC was even odder.

Reaction Score
Probaboy the move that needed to be made now, but also not likely the long term fix... that will have to wait until off-season.

It's likely also an audition. If there is a dramatic turnaround, maybe he would be retained. More likely we will be in the market for a new OC in the off-season.

Reaction Score
Cummings was an experienced OC when Diaco hired him. Unfortunately, he did not have much success as Central Michigan's OC. That was an odd hire, but hiring Verducci as OC was even odder.
He was really the OC in title only...the HC that he worked under at Central Michigan drew up the game plan and called all the plays.

Reaction Score
Go back and watch his ECU post game presser outside the stadium..and reads his comments in the post game articles. He hinted at this immediately after the game. He is taking ownership of his program good, bad or indifferent. Now he either sinks or swims. He messes up this next OC hire and he will be back to coaching defenses as a DC somewhere.
The pressure has been building for weeks within the fan base and I am sure the Big Donor was in the ear of the AD since Navy (maybe even since ME). And Benedict should have been all over Diaco as well.

You see taking ownership, and I can buy that viewpoint being valid. But I see it as more of a move he was forced to make than a move he wanted to make. It is admitting failure with his hiring of Verducci. And BD does not strike me as a man that admits failure. Which is a good trait to have sometimes and a fatal flaw at other times.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Question for the horde: HCBD demoted Verducci and added OL Tackles to his current resposibilty of TE's ... and he reduced Mike Cummings role to interior O-linemen only ... but he elevated David Corley directly to OC? Why did he reduce Cummings's role?

Have you been happy with the OL play?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
He hired Corley too...

He hired Corley as his RB coach and Verducci as the OC. Are you giving him kudos for hiring Corley for the wrong job? Both inexperienced.
This is a shiite show and we are giving him credit for hiring Corley...

Lets give Bob credit for wasting a scholly on the CT stud recruit too!!

Reaction Score
The pressure has been building for weeks within the fan base and I am sure the Big Donor was in the ear of the AD since Navy (maybe even since ME). And Benedict should have been all over Diaco as well.

You see taking ownership, and I can buy that viewpoint being valid. But I see it as more of a move he was forced to make than a move he wanted to make. It is admitting failure with his hiring of Verducci. And BD does not strike me as a man that admits failure. Which is a good trait to have sometimes and a fatal flaw at other times.
If you get a chance watch the whole presser from post game..I think matt has it up on his Youtube Channel..Then watch today's presser. He was really honest in how he runs the team...I would say honest to a fault. He also did something that the 2 prior coaches here at UConn never did. Tell the press that their criticism is warranted. I'm not saying anything by this other than he is taking ownership of his team and situation. What he does from here will indicate whether he is successful or he is running a defensive as DC at another school later next season.

Reaction Score
He hired Corley as his RB coach and Verducci as the OC. Are you giving him kudos for hiring Corley for the wrong job? Both inexperienced.
This is a shiite show and we are giving him credit for hiring Corley...
Unfortunately OC's like Lane Kiffin aren't really available with 4 weeks left in the season.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Unfortunately OC's like Lane Kiffin aren't really available with 4 weeks left in the season.
Did I ask for Lane Kiffin?

Bob put the wrong person in the OC position - TWICE - and now promoting Corley we are thanking him. OK

Again -

Medic came at me about how he hired Corely - he has hired a bunch of people and none of them have been taken from UConn or Promoted for ability - everyone has been demoted and its next guy up.

Reaction Score
Lots of schools make these moves mid season. I respectfully disagree w your post. This is a big boy move

Agreed. I don't think it's going to be some kind of savior move, but not much else can be done internally in-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom