VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow | Page 4 | The Boneyard

VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow

Reaction Score
Here's the Line. JMick and the ilk can be far on the other side.

The Truth is the situation we found ourselves was stark and horrifying for our proud Program. Enoch Jackson Durham (and MAL) were our future. Like a bad marriage ... it's foolish to speculate precisely what happened. But given the playing time / angst of Enoch Jackson Durham; I think we - the Fanbase - correctly surmised the truth. They (Durham Enoch) playing tough enough or productive enough for our level - at this time - and then (Jackson) got ooodles of playing time beyond what he'd normally get ... but felt he had a game (that none of us really see). MAL - beyond shakeup - also sees a ton of Guard talent.

The Spring (historically) never has been a big part of UConn's harvest of the next years players. Odd wins over the last 25 years. The possibility set is not broad. My sense is that we probably went through only slightly more kids than normal ... and the loss percentage is average. Not what the sky is falling crowd want to hear.

2017 - 2018 UConn year & 2018 Recruiting year is everything for KO. But his job security is dependent on his performance on & off the court. Unlike the angry, I'm enthused by the Chillious / Killings add. It's absolutely the needed move. And we aren't chicken liver. We know Jalen Adams, Terry Larrier, Alterique Gilbert are top talent ... and a NCAA MM and Conference champion is thereby possible. If KO coaches well ... the next phase of this Program builds from there: with energy.

We should have increasing confidence in David Benedict. I think he has been solid in just over a year on the job. There may still be a addition to next years roster (Enosch type). I think the last two misses has more to do with who's on our roster today than the inability to sell UConn.

pj

Reaction Score
PJ is one of those who will find any way to rationalize what's going on, on to plan Q.

No, I was skeptical about Doughty from the time of D$'s feedback. There's no rationalization for missing on Sid Wilson or MAL. The transfers, who knows what happened but we changed our big man coach and our S&C coach so hopefully it's fixed.

Reaction Score
Here's the Line. JMick and the ilk can be far on the other side.

The Truth is the situation we found ourselves was stark and horrifying for our proud Program. Enoch Jackson Durham (and MAL) were our future. Like a bad marriage ... it's foolish to speculate precisely what happened. But given the playing time / angst of Enoch Jackson Durham; I think we - the Fanbase - correctly surmised the truth. They (Durham Enoch) playing tough enough or productive enough for our level - at this time - and then (Jackson) got ooodles of playing time beyond what he'd normally get ... but felt he had a game (that none of us really see). MAL - beyond shakeup - also sees a ton of Guard talent.

The Spring (historically) never has been a big part of UConn's harvest of the next years players. Odd wins over the last 25 years. The possibility set is not broad. My sense is that we probably went through only slightly more kids than normal ... and the loss percentage is average. Not what the sky is falling crowd want to hear.

2017 - 2018 UConn year & 2018 Recruiting year is everything for KO. But his job security is dependent on his performance on & off the court. Unlike the angry, I'm enthused by the Chillious / Killings add. It's absolutely the needed move. And we aren't chicken liver. We know Jalen Adams, Terry Larrier, Alterique Gilbert are top talent ... and a NCAA MM and Conference champion is thereby possible. If KO coaches well ... the next phase of this Program builds from there: with energy.

We should have increasing confidence in David Benedict. I think he has been solid in just over a year on the job. There may still be a addition to next years roster (Enosch type). I think the last two misses has more to do with who's on our roster today than the inability to sell UConn.
your first paragraph is just a list of bad excuses and it's not based in reality. KO is toxic right now. The only thing that will fix that is wins.

Reaction Score
I am more worried that this is the 8 or 9th kid to campus in the past few months that said no. Ollie has surrounded himself with top young recruiting guys and still no one. Our lineup will be worse then last year.

I got blasted in the winter for saying their is real negative mojo around Ollie and players. It has also spread into recruiting the last 9 months. UConn is sinking and fast. 2018 recruiting is major and if Ollie goes 500 again I hear he is out.
Yep there is no way we can survive another .500 season without making some big changes. I wonder what is happening and when KO just started going sour. Even though we made the tourney the year before there was definitely some bad chemistry issues in that team.

Reaction Score
Yep there is no way we can survive another .500 season without making some big changes. I wonder what is happening and when KO just started going sour. Even though we made the tourney the year before there was definitely some bad chemistry issues in that team.
after the divorce

Reaction Score
after the divorce
I agree on that. He has never been the same coach since as shown by his body manners. Hopefully with back up against the wall he can succeed. He will have if he wants to be part of UCONN's future going forward.

Reaction Score
your first paragraph is just a list of bad excuses and it's not based in reality. KO is toxic right now. The only thing that will fix that is wins.

Toxic R You

And I haven't ignored anyone - per the BY function - but you can't engage me ever. It's a trashy POS thrown in the toilet

Reaction Score
Toxic R You

And I haven't ignored anyone - per the BY function - but you can't engage me ever. It's a trashy POS thrown in the toilet
I don't even know what you're trying to say here. If you don't want to hear the truth then that's on you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because it's a lot easier to sell someone on overlooking conference when there's something else to sell them on.

12-5bannersbybradfordwatson-e1417754499881.jpg

Reaction Score
I say this as one of the biggest KO supporters on here, I don't think the championship has as much pull anymore. It's what have you done for me lately. And starting with the 2017 class the championship is nice but doesn't resonate as much as it would with kids we were recruiting during the championship run

pj

Reaction Score
I say this as one of the biggest KO supporters on here, I don't think the championship has as much pull anymore. It's what have you done for me lately. And starting with the 2017 class the championship is nice but doesn't resonate as much as it would with kids we were recruiting during the championship run

I agree in regard to the top level kids, where we're competing against Nova, UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas -- all teams and coaches with championships in recent memory.

But in competing against the likes of Providence, St John's, Rutgers, BC, and Seton Hall, it's a major feather in KO's cap. With Cuse likely to fade a bit due to Boeheim's age, the local competition isn't that strong.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because the 2014 championship is sooo three years ago?

pj

Reaction Score
after the divorce

If the only negatives about KO are his post-divorce behavior then he can overcome them pretty quickly. "Look, I made myself a 13-year NBA player, then started coaching and brought UConn another championship. Then my wife filed for divorce, I became a single dad, and got distracted for a bit. But I'm back, I'm hungry, I'm a winner, and I can show you how to become a winner and an NBA veteran just like me."

Reaction Score
If the only negatives about KO are his post-divorce behavior then he can overcome them pretty quickly. "Look, I made myself a 13-year NBA player, then started coaching and brought UConn another championship. Then my wife filed for divorce, I became a single dad, and got distracted for a bit. But I'm back, I'm hungry, I'm a winner, and I can show you how to become a winner and an NBA veteran just like me."
if only things were that simple

Reaction Score
Lots of negatives, I'm rooting for him to turn it around but I have my doubts that he will.

Reaction Score
I am more worried that this is the 8 or 9th kid to campus in the past few months that said no. Ollie has surrounded himself with top young recruiting guys and still no one. Our lineup will be worse then (than) last year.

I got blasted in the winter for saying their is real negative mojo around Ollie and players. It has also spread into recruiting the last 9 months. UConn is sinking and fast. 2018 recruiting is major and if Ollie goes 500 again I hear he is out.
Couple things.....
Our lineup IF healthy is not worse than last year if you consider AG, TL & MD didn't play....those 3 plus JA, CV , AA & new our new "bigs" will be better than what we put on the court last year.

We all know the 2018 class is big for KO & UConn so we'll see what they come up with....KO knows this.....we're only sinking fast if we stink on the court this year AND have a subpar 2018 class. We had a lousy 2016-2017 due in large part to injuries, some players left at the end of the year and 2017 class isn't stellar but can we let the next 9 months play out and see where we are then.

If we miss the tourney & don't get a quality 2018 class then KO is probably gone anyway but imo if you put UConn & KO in the ACC (or even BE) we wouldn't be having this conversation....that will still be a problem for the next coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am more worried that this is the 8 or 9th kid to campus in the past few months that said no. Ollie has surrounded himself with top young recruiting guys and still no one. Our lineup will be worse then last year.

99 no one intelligent criticized you. The roster for this year is fine but results matter.

What's funny is we have people propping up Killings as some recruiting guru for bringing in Josh Carlton and Anderson. You would think 3 "great" recruiters wouldn't be whiffing so badly.

PS: Tiger Tom was there for the taking and we looked away.

Reaction Score
Couple things.....
Our lineup IF healthy is not worse than last year if you consider AG, TL & MD didn't play....those 3 plus JA, CV , AA & new our new "bigs" will be better than what we put on the court last year.

We all know the 2018 class is big for KO & UConn so we'll see what they come up with....KO knows this.....we're only sinking fast if we stink on the court this year AND have a subpar 2018 class. We had a lousy 2016-2017 due in large part to injuries, some players left at the end of the year and 2017 class isn't stellar but can we let the next 9 months play out and see where we are then.

If we miss the tourney & don't get a quality 2018 class then KO is probably gone anyway but imo if you put UConn & KO in the ACC (or even BE) we wouldn't be having this conversation....that will still be a problem for the next coach.
Problem is that it isn't hurting the little leprechaun or smu. They are at least getting decent recruits. We have fallen off the cliff and are recruiting at patriot league level. That has more to do with other factors than what league we are in. Big, big year for ko next year.

Reaction Score
Problem is that it isn't hurting the little leprechaun or smu. They are at least getting decent recruits. We have fallen off the cliff and are recruiting at patriot league level. That has more to do with other factors than what league we are in. Big, big year for ko next year.
Really not true.....SMU & Cincy have 1 top 100 recruit between them in 2016 & 2017 classes....they beat up on AAC, play lousy non-conf schedules, have inflated records & bow out of tourney in the first round usually.

Reaction Score
I agree on that. He has never been the same coach since as shown by his body manners. Hopefully with back up against the wall he can succeed. He will have if he wants to be part of UConn's future going forward.

Body manners were bad in 2014. At least according to this board.

Reaction Score
I hope this is the case. I can't stand the posters who claim that KO is the best we can do, that if he leaves, the program is finished forever.

Next year is a make or break year for KO, no question. It may be a make or break year for the program at large, but there's a chance a new coach can revitalize the program.

Except no poster, including me, ever said that.

Context is important.

I said giving him the hook early is going to send a message to coaches that this place will fire you for two straight .500 non-NCAA seasons, even if you've won a national championship. Given the expectations and the uphill battle of recruiting in the AAC, I don't expect a good coach to succeed him in those circumstances. I'd rather go with KO, assuming he has good players for 2018.

That is far different than what you wrote above.

If they fire Ollie after this year (unless it is a total meltdown) I expect the next hire to be a low-major HC.

Reaction Score
We are facing tough negative recruiting more than anything else. The conference hurts perception and a bad season was all anyone needed to cause us trouble recruiting. Winning will fix that.

As far as the demise of the program goes, no way. We pay big money. We can hire a sure thing if we have to. There is no need to think the program is dead if KO fails. We just need a coach that we know can win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom