Vasovagal Syncope | The Boneyard

Vasovagal Syncope

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, it looks like me and some blacking out are now a couple.

Vasovagal Syncope.

Up until five years ago I've never had an issue with needles, drawing blood, or watching any medical procedures being done to me.

Then about five years ago I had my first fainting episode after a nurse had difficulty sticking my arm with a needle for an IV. She tried twice and when she started the third time I started getting tunnel vision, felt a cold sweat start at my head and go down to my feet. I heard the nurse call some sort of code and saw several nurses rushing towards me. A minute later I woke up.
Fast forward to summer 2023 and I'm in a doctor's office and he's giving me a couple of steroid shots for some inflammation in my feet. He told me the needle would go deep. I watched him do both shots and we were fine. About a minute later he and I were talking and in mid-sentence he disappeared, his nurse was in his spot and I was holding a bottle of water. About a minute blackout.

Fast forward to today. Same doc from last summer and he was doing a post-surgery follow up. He removed some stitches, did some other work on my foot. We were talking about care for the wound area and I started to feel the gray out and the sweats and once again he disappeared and was replaced by his nurse. Today was the third time overall but I also felt it coming on and just went with the flow.

In between these three episodes I've had multiple blood draws, IV's and other medical procedures with out any issues.

So I basically get to play Russian Roulette every time I get something done medically going forward.0

Reaction Score
So, it looks like me and some blacking out are now a couple.

Vasovagal Syncope.

Up until five years ago I've never had an issue with needles, drawing blood, or watching any medical procedures being done to me.

Then about five years ago I had my first fainting episode after a nurse had difficulty sticking my arm with a needle for an IV. She tried twice and when she started the third time I started getting tunnel vision, felt a cold sweat start at my head and go down to my feet. I heard the nurse call some sort of code and saw several nurses rushing towards me. A minute later I woke up.
Fast forward to summer 2023 and I'm in a doctor's office and he's giving me a couple of steroid shots for some inflammation in my feet. He told me the needle would go deep. I watched him do both shots and we were fine. About a minute later he and I were talking and in mid-sentence he disappeared, his nurse was in his spot and I was holding a bottle of water. About a minute blackout.

Fast forward to today. Same doc from last summer and he was doing a post-surgery follow up. He removed some stitches, did some other work on my foot. We were talking about care for the wound area and I started to feel the gray out and the sweats and once again he disappeared and was replaced by his nurse. Today was the third time overall but I also felt it coming on and just went with the flow.

In between these three episodes I've had multiple blood draws, IV's and other medical procedures with out any issues.

So I basically get to play Russian Roulette every time I get something done medically going forward.0
I have this condition but for me the thus far successful resolution was and is a pacemaker. Have you had a tilt-table test?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have this condition but for me the thus far successful resolution was and is a pacemaker. Have you had a tilt-table test?

I really don't want to fix it. I'm owning it amd loving it. If I could figure out how to do it myself, I'd do it once or twice a day.

Reaction Score
I really don't want to fix it. I'm owning it amd loving it. If I could figure out how to do it myself, I'd do it once or twice a day.
When i argued with the cardiologist he pointed out that maybe someday I’d go out while driving a car with disastrous results. He and my wife won the argument.

Reaction Score
When i argued with the cardiologist he pointed out that maybe someday I’d go out while driving a car with disastrous results. He and my wife won the argument.

Were you planning on injecting yourself while driving?

Reaction Score
The 20-year-old theory is the pacemaker kicks in when my heart rate goes below a certain number. Prior to the pacemaker I fainted twice, then had a tilt-table test which showed that the reason I 'fainted' is that under certain circumstances when my heart receives a signal to work a little harder (like balancing BP) it "pauses" (stops). So I'm lucky I am still around, condition is potentially dangerous. I argued with the doctor because I'm a jerk and thought he was over-reacting.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
mdnhp.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Possibly, if he was driving through Southwestern Connecticut.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My new mental image of you:
fainting goat GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom