Vanderbilt - Better After 4 Players Transfer | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt - Better After 4 Players Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I agree. It's hard to lose four players.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Lot of shade being thrown by Balcomb in that piece.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought the twin that was playing last year in the tournament over Thanksgiving was pretty impressive - her sister was out injured

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think she is a good coach. I think her best days at Vanderbilt may be behind her. Look at the SEC now. Arkansas, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Mississippi State , South Carolina have all improved. Since Vanderbilt last won SECT.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
what's the point? they play in such a weak league they really aren't even worth talking about.
That would not be the particular stone I would think it is sensible to toss. Because on balance, their league isn't any weaker than the American. At least at this time, South Carolina is a top tier program, I think we all agree. Tennessee, Kentucky and A&M are all arguable top 25 teams. In the American, UConn is at a level all their own - but in the same general stratosphere as South Carolina. The rest of the conference probably doesn't have any 3 teams better than the 3 I mention.

And the SEC is upgrading, I think. Really, what conference is really, really strong these days? The ACC is maybe strong on top but, the middle / bottom is definitely so-so. Big 12 has only Baylor as dominant in recent times, again, trying to build on history at OK, Iowa State, I know other programs are trying. Big 10 - Maryland came in and darn near ran the league, Rutgers was near the top as a newcomer. Teams may do very well, but not yet known. And no one is in love with the PAC.

I think what sticks out about the SEC is how poor they are compared to what they were - or claimed they were. Where have the Florida of Carol Ross, the Alabama of Rick Moody, the Auburn of Joe Ciampi, the Mississippi State of Van Chancellor, the Georgia of vintage Andy Landers, and yes, the consistent NCAA participant Vanderbilt of Jim Foster gone to?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In the American, UConn is at a level all their own - but in the same general stratosphere as South Carolina.
I know you hate UCONN, being a Rutgers fan and all, but why do you feel it necessary to come on a UCONN board and denigrate them like that? The same general stratosphere as S. Carolina? Bollocks!

Reaction Score
Since when is South Carolina in the same stratosphere as UConn? USF played us a lot tougher than South Carolina. South Carolina to their credit was able to keep it within 10 for the first quarter of the game, but there's a pretty large gap between UConn and South Carolina in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I think Vanderbilt situation is a little bit different than the situation we had at Maryland (men) when we lost 5 players to transfer. The chemistry turned out to be great the following season but the difference was we had an impact freshman. I don't think Vanderbilt have that type of player that can take over games at the end when it is on the line.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I know you hate UCONN, being a Rutgers fan and all, but why do you feel it necessary to come on a UCONN board and denigrate them like that? The same general stratosphere as S. Carolina? Bollocks!
I was going to point out that UConn was in a stratosphere all their own, but then we might as well cancel the season, no? South Carolina is better than almost every team except UConn and maybe 2 or 3 others - at most. Same with Notre Dame.

Women's basketball has stratified - UConn at the top, 3-4 teams below them but better than everyone else, and then the rest. Maybe my phrasing didn't thrill you, but there was no insult intended. And when comparing conferences, UConn is the South Carolina of the SEC, Notre Dame of the ACC, Stanford of the PAC, etc. Yes, they are better, and yes, they are at less risk of getting displaced from the top, but non-the-less comparable in the sense of "top of the conference" IMO.

And no, I don't hate UConn, but I do know folks who do. I am an admirer of the program, the way it operates, and the way they play, while not really caring - one way or the other - what success that does or doesn't lead to. I root for the teams I like - which include Rutgers as my alma mater (and as long as Viv is there, for sure), and various other programs. For assorted reasons, there are programs that I don't care for and I never root for. In an isolated game, I may root for or against UConn if they are playing a program I dislike or like, otherwise, I don't root either way and don't necessarily watch.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Since when is South Carolina in the same stratosphere as UConn? USF played us a lot tougher than South Carolina. South Carolina to their credit was able to keep it within 10 for the first quarter of the game, but there's a pretty large gap between UConn and South Carolina in my opinion.
Yes, there is a gap - pretty much between UConn and everyone else. But as I noted in my reply to Meyers, they are currently top dog in their conference and better than all but a handful of other teams. At least for now.

To compare conferences, I knock out the top dog and look at what's left, especially when the top dogs in each conference are currently fairly obvious (or at least were last season).

And I wouldn't use how well a team plays UConn to rate them. In the day RU beat UConn a fair amount for a short time period and no one, not even Rutgers fans, thought for one second that meant RU was better than UConn. Stanford beat you and they didn't have a particularly good year (at least for them). On a different day, South Carolina could have been a close game and USF a blow-out. Looking at their body of work - South Carolina was a better team than USF. It is just the old "on any given day" or "that's why they play the game".

Reaction Score
Oh come on, you know you UConn went easy on USF compared to #1 South Carolina on Thursday night ESPN game. KML was unconscious that night.

Reaction Score
In WBB, there are those teams that are always there...Stanford, S. Carolina (with Staley), ND, Baylor, maybe Maryland, possibly Louisville (recently). Then you have the "do less with more" bunch: Duke, Tenn. UNCheat. Then the Professor and Maryann group: "And the rest".

In all college sports, it's all about coaching! Recruit all the big names you want...I'll take the good coach. Combine a good coaching staff with good recruiting...voila!

The beauty of college sports, sans football, is that it's settled on the court/field. OK, football is trying to get there, but still too much posturing.

Let the games begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc