Utah Transfer Devon Daniels | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Utah Transfer Devon Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Not to get anyone's hopes up, but has anyone else noted that since about 3-4 weeks ago we have heard nothing on where Vance could end up? Enoch obviously moved very quickly and Durham was at Notre Dame over the weekend, but we have not heard a peep on Vance since meeting with Baylor a month ago. Just sayin...
I don't want this to be misinterpreted as me saying that I don't want Vance, but unless he's changed his tune on defense and his dad is willing to pipe down on "utilizing his talents," then why would KO want him back? We'd likely be putting ourselves in the same position next offseason. Just my opinion...

pj

Reaction Score
I don't want this to be misinterpreted as me saying that I don't want Vance, but unless he's changed his tune on defense and his dad is willing to pipe down on "utilizing his talents," then why would KO want him back? We'd likely be putting ourselves in the same position next offseason. Just my opinion...

Presumably Vance wouldn't come back unless he was willing to embrace KO's coaching. If he comes back, he'll have had the choice between being "the man" at a lower-level school or being the do-everything lunchpail guy at UConn, and will have decided that his best path to the NBA is to be the lunchpail guy at UConn. There's a place in the NBA for the versatile 6'8" guy who can play all over the court, inside and out. There's no future for prima donnas who are only willing to do one thing.

Reaction Score
Not to get anyone's hopes up, but has anyone else noted that since about 3-4 weeks ago we have heard nothing on where Vance could end up? Enoch obviously moved very quickly and Durham was at Notre Dame over the weekend, but we have not heard a peep on Vance since meeting with Baylor a month ago. Just sayin...

He said he is considering playing overseas in Israel.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If I recall, didn't his father quit his job to personally coach/train Vance? He might have to bail out the family, which would be a shame.
Dang just beat me to it

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pardon my french, but Vance is an idiot for leaving. He has a decent chance at starting and would be playing big minutes regardless.

A guy who can knock down open threes with our guard lineup is going to do well. If he is willing to rebound and defend, then he becomes a cult figure. With his size, he would definitely get an NBA look. There are only about a dozen, UConn alum blueprints he could follow.

But you have to have all ten toes in.

pj

Reaction Score
Playing in Israel makes sense if you need money, but it materially impairs his chances of making the NBA compared to playing at UConn. KO and staff have a strong incentive to develop players, that's their ultimate recruiting pitch, and as an NBA vet KO knows what it takes. Abroad everything is transient on one-year contracts, the coaches want to win now and don't care much about developing players. I would hate to see a young guy's future damaged because of pressure from a parent.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
His dad quit his job to coach him full time. Which either means they have a lot of money or no money.
And this goes a long way in explaining this past season and why Vance's friend showed interest in UConn.

Maybe dad is desperate, Vance is torn, some face saving statements and action by family.

Dad is not going to admit desperation. And Vance is going to support dad. No wonder kid looked down all season.

I was confused when people lumped Vance with Steve and Juwan regarding defense. Unlike those two I felt Vance improved on D. Not as much as Christian but quite decent.

None of us are likely to learn the entire story, at least for now, but there is absolutely no way a good friend of Vance's shows KO consideration if Vance had major problems with KO or if the worse characterizations of KO being proposed are true.

Reaction Score
And this goes a long way in explaining this past season and why Vance's friend showed interest in UConn.

Maybe dad is desperate, Vance is torn, some face saving statements and action by family.

Dad is not going to admit desperation. And Vance is going to support dad. No wonder kid looked down all season.

I was confused when people lumped Vance with Steve and Juwan regarding defense. Unlike those two I felt Vance improved on D. Not as much as Christian but quite decent.

None of us are likely to learn the entire story, at least for now, but there is absolutely no way a good friend of Vance's shows KO consideration if Vance had major problems with KO or if the worse characterizations of KO being proposed are true.
Thats why i said wks ago that ppl should stop making basless speculation. No one knew the real story. And this latest turn proves my point even the more. If vance goes overseas i wonder if those same posters come back and at least acknowledge that they were wrong about Ollie when it came to vance. Doubt it tho

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Thats why i said wks ago that ppl should stop making basless speculation. No one knew the real story. And this latest turn proves my point even the more. If vance goes overseas i wonder if those same posters come back and at least acknowledge that they were wrong about Ollie when it came to vance. Doubt it tho
I'm speculating as well. Don't need people to acknowledge anything. Emotions are raw right now so I think best thing to do is start giving people slack and start accommodating the different ways we handle things.

Reaction Score
I'm speculating as well. Don't need people to acknowledge anything. Emotions are raw right now so I think best thing to do is start giving people slack and start accommodating the different ways we handle things.
I'd love to be as forgiving as you. But i got torn a new one for even suggesting none of us knew that ollie was at fault for the transfers. Specualting is one thing. Presenting your speculation as fact is another. If you can drag a man be man/woman enough to acknowledge you were wrong

Reaction Score
I'd love to be as forgiving as you. But i got torn a new one for even suggesting none of us knew that ollie was at fault for the transfers. Specualting is one thing. Presenting your speculation as fact is another. If you can drag a man be man/woman enough to acknowledge you were wrong
Ollie is the leader of the team, we had a bunch of people leave the team when there was a ton of playing time available, we are now left with 4 or 5 players short of a complete team. Of course Ollie is responsible, when you are paid millions of dollars and given complete autonomy to do a job, any successes and failures are yours.

Reaction Score
Ollie is the leader of the team, we had a bunch of people leave the team when there was a ton of playing time available, we are now left with 4 or 5 players short of a complete team. Of course Ollie is responsible, when you are paid millions of dollars and given complete autonomy to do a job, any successes and failures are yours.
I didnt suggest he has no culpability. What i've repeatedly ssid time and time again is that no one knows the true reason. A lot of other variables go into these kids decision that have nothing to do with the head coach. Say Vance goes to play in Israel because of family financial problems, is that still on ollie? We dont know that to be true, but that is just a likely if not more likely than him leaving because Ollie is a distant incompetent coach.

My point is simple its ok to speculate. Bur lets not turn our speculation into fact. And then belittle anyone who isnt so excepting of your speculation with comments like, "if you'd open your eyes" or "your a homer".

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He has a part to play to be sure and everyone has a right to propose what that part is. I'm less invested in the blame game and more interested in learning as much information about as many of the events that took place.

I don't need to validate my perspective. That limits my ability to figure things out. It's easy to stick with a basic theme and only change it when the overwhelming evidence says otherwise. I'd rather be flexible and on the lookout for things that argue against my perspective.

Two things have puzzled me recently. Devon's interest in UConn was one. It was an anomaly in everything we considered about the Vance-KO relationship. It could shed some light on things if we don't become entrenched.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Playing in Israel makes sense if you need money, but it materially impairs his chances of making the NBA compared to playing at UConn. KO and staff have a strong incentive to develop players, that's their ultimate recruiting pitch, and as an NBA vet KO knows what it takes. Abroad everything is transient on one-year contracts, the coaches want to win now and don't care much about developing players. I would hate to see a young guy's future damaged because of pressure from a parent.

Vance isn't an NBA player (athleticism/tweener). But he's got the potential to have a very nice/long Euro career if he plays it right.

Reaction Score
Just now from Goodman:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer