Utah State Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Utah State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Those are separate endowments.

Like for example William and Mary’s football scholarships are endowed.
there are some unrestricted funds made to university endowments. If UConn can turn football around and get into a power conference adding to coaching salaries will pay for itself many times over.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If nothing else, the game showed Roberson can do enough to keep this team in the game if Charlton lets him. He threw accurately into some tight spaces, the WRs made tough catches, and they looked like a reasonably competent offense.

The defense - more specifically the secondary - was just eaten alive by Riley. That group does not have the talent to match up with a guy with that kind of speed.

Not calling it any kind of a moral victory, but at least it was more entertaining than the last three games.

Reaction Score
Our football budget is middle of FBS, nowhere near shoe string. I like Mora, but he needs to be held accountable for the bad coaching on show.
When I read statements like this, I become mad. UConn used to pay competitive salaries 10 years ago, but not anymore. How many teams on UConn's schedule this year do you think UConn pays their assistants more than? 5, Georgia State, FIU, Sacred Heart, James Madison and UMass. And the assistant coaching pools at FIU and Georgia State are 20% and 10% less than UConn and UMass is about 25% less. We do not have a spending advantage on our competition.

UConn has a $80 million+ athletic department budget and we can't find $500k to $1 million more to put into football coaching salaries? Football is UConn's biggest revenue opportunity, but you need to invest to deliver results. And, for those who say you want to see results first, football is not basketball as you can turn around a basketball program in year with a good coach and a couple of players. Turning around football is more complicated.

Reaction Score
When I read statements like this, I become mad. UConn used to pay competitive salaries 10 years ago, but not anymore. How many teams on UConn's schedule this year do you think UConn pays their assistants more than? 5, Georgia State, FIU, Sacred Heart, James Madison and UMass. And the assistant coaching pools at FIU and Georgia State are 20% and 10% less than UConn and UMass is about 25% less. We do not have a spending advantage on our competition.

UConn has a $80 million+ athletic department budget and we can't find $500k to $1 million more to put into football coaching salaries? Football is UConn's biggest revenue opportunity, but you need to invest to deliver results. And, for those who say you want to see results first, football is not basketball as you can turn around a basketball program in year with a good coach and a couple of players. Turning around football is more complicated.
True it’s like turning around an aircraft carrier, take time and care.

Reaction Score
Do people really think Mora doesn’t know how to coach? The guy knows how to coach defense. You could bring Nick Saban in to coach this team and we’d have the same results.

He’s also operating on a shoe string budget, trying to bring coaches into a program that has some serious stink on it from the last decade. I’m absolutely sure he’s scraping the barrel with coaches that are willing to risk their careers here for any sum of money. I’m also assuming it’s why we don’t have a DC, so Mora has more money to fill out the rest of the staff.

For better or worse, Mora tried to pull a Hurley and keep a lot of the players from the previous regime out of the kindness of his heart. The difference is with basketball one or two good recruits can pull the rest of the team up too .500ish in those early years. The same is not true for football.

We have a group of FCS players trying to make plays against FBS teams. That’s the fact of the matter. I’m holding my judgement of this staff until we have true roster turnover. Hurley’s style of play is completely different now than when he first came in here because now he has the guys for his system. The coaches can’t catch balls for these kids and they can’t run next to the other team’s receivers for them.

If Mora went for 2 at the end of the game and they failed, the same people would be criticizing him for that that are criticizing him now for going for 1. It is what it is, we don’t have the personnel.

He’s not on a shoestring budget. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
there are some unrestricted funds made to university endowments. If UConn can turn football around and get into a power conference adding to coaching salaries will pay for itself many times over.

First off. A $600M endowment for a school of UConn’s size is pitiful and puny.

They aren’t using it on football.

Second off the University uses a portion of the interest generated by the endowment. That’s a bit simplistic but it’s not a bank account or slush fund.

If football specific endowment is a great idea. Really, the school should have started one back when we upgraded.

Reaction Score
Well, that's a relative term in the world of major collegiate football. I'd argue that he needs 10-20MM in discretionary funding to be competitive in the NIL space. And I understand that the University per se does not 'control' NIL; I'm thinking more of a notional amount of firepower available from collectives and/or donors (for things like coaches, facilities upgrades etc). Right now the State and student fees are doing a lot of work and that can't be the case if we want to be truly competitive at the FBS level. And our collective is......well the less said the better, at least insofar as football is concerned.

At the other extreme, just look at what Nebraska is gonna spend on Memorial Stadium the next three years. 450MM from various sources and they won't even blink at the necessity.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

Second off the University uses a portion of the interest generated by the endowment. That’s a bit simplistic but it’s not a bank account or slush fund.

If football specific endowment is a great idea. Really, the school should have started one back when we upgraded.
What would the Title IX implications be of a football-specific endowment ?

Reaction Score
Did Mora not pick all of those coaches?
There is no official DC. I think it’s detracting from Mora ‘s overview duty. Just way too many blown assignments and miscommunication. Someone needs to be more focused with them.

Not sure who’s doing ST, but lots of room for improvement in every area. Some of it is poor play, but there are a lot of coaching challenges.

Reaction Score
He played basically a whole game against Iowa when their QB1 got injured and looked like trash while surrounded by a ton of talent. Most PSU fans think that game was what gone him shown the door at the end of the season.

I do still think he has potential to be serviceable at the level UConn needs, but he had a legit shot at Penn State to prove himself.
He looked good the last drive. Hopefully he has gotten some confidence

Reaction Score
What would the Title IX implications be of a football-specific endowment ?

Probably the same as every other sport specific gift that is held into perpetuity and invested.

Reaction Score
Even if I’m wrong about that, the rest of what I said holds true. The program has a stink on it and I’m sure it’s hard to get good coaches no matter how much money is offered (which I also said in that comment).

Reaction Score
Another positive from today: Edwards may be an upgrade over Houston and Brewton. Love to see a CT guy (who wants to be here) succeed.
Saw a shot of Houston and Brewton on the sidelines early in the season, both were yukking it up during a game that was very competitive, and we were losing, NCST. My thought was those guys are way too happy given the situation. I think I was right.

Reaction Score
No you specifically said UConn. Not the donors. If you meant to say donors then go back and edit your post.
You are about as naive as they get. Who do you think decides where the funds go? The institution expresses a need and the funding organizations take care of it. You have made a distinction without a difference.

Reaction Score
I have been told on this bard that using University funds to pay for NIL is the single thing that is against the rules. That could be wrong, but that was what was said her. UConnJim perhaps?

Reaction Score
You are about as naive as they get. Who do you think decides where the funds go? The institution expresses a need and the funding organizations take care of it. You have made a distinction without a difference.

Did you edit your post yet?

Reaction Score
I watched all of the kick blocking and rushing formations that both teams used. Utah St. was using a rush scheme of 6 on one side and 4 on the other and then they sometimes swapped the edge rushers. #6 originally lined up on their right side for 3 kicks which had 6 rushers but one time he didn't rush. #6 switched to the left side and one of Utah States rushers switched to the right side. #6 came close to blocking the field goal as they used the same strategy they used for the blocked xtra point. On the blocked extra point, #6 moved back to the right side, but for the first time on the right side, he aggressively rushed into the gap and was able to block the kick.

I think that is good coaching. When it really mattered, they went after the kick like they did on the FG and blocked xtra point. And, they had a good athlete rush the gap and this was the 5th blocked kick of his career.

Reaction Score
TYSMIHA.gif

Reaction Score
I have been told on this bard that using University funds to pay for NIL is the single thing that is against the rules. That could be wrong, but that was what was said her. UConnJim perhaps?
That is correct, you can not use university funds for NIL. Obviously, there is a relationship between the collectives and the athletic department/teams.

Reaction Score
If nothing else, the game showed Roberson can do enough to keep this team in the game if Charlton lets him. He threw accurately into some tight spaces, the WRs made tough catches, and they looked like a reasonably competent offense.

The defense - more specifically the secondary - was just eaten alive by Riley. That group does not have the talent to match up with a guy with that kind of speed.

Not calling it any kind of a moral victory, but at least it was more entertaining than the last three games.
Ok, he was fast. Doesn’t excuse they way they played him.

Reaction Score

To further this point, University of North Dakota which is only 500 acres compares to UConn's 45000 acres in physical side which a fraction of the enrollment has an endowment of 380million. It's a much smaller school but only has half of a "top public university's" endowment? The math isn't mathing. Not to mention the state is much more willing to invest in the school, they just approved 100 mil in the budget to build a new STEM building. UConn's biggest problem is everyone in Hartford.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
This program is bad. Top to bottom, it’s a disaster. Nothing will change because those in charge refuse to do anything meaningful.

I’m out for the rest of the season. I just can’t do it anymore. Respect for those who can; you are more dedicated fans than me.
Have you heard, we have a pretty good basketball program? ;);)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom