Utah State Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Utah State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
That is where I disagree. I don’t think there is.
The decision not to run the clock down in the first half and then kick the FG is totally on Mora. 17-0 with all the momentum rather than giving an explosive team the ball with 40 seconds left.

Reaction Score
The Good:
  • Jelani Stafford A+++
  • Jelani Stafford offensive packages
  • Jelani Stafford designed passes
  • Best offensive game this year. 218 rush yards. 258 passing. 476 total yards. (2nd best was GAST with 394 total yards)
  • Up tempo Roberson
  • 24 total receptions. Ross had 7. Previous high was 5, Buckman vs FIU.
  • Cam Edwards seems like a solid #2 RB. Rosa and Cam accounted for 75% of the ground game.
  • 2 interceptions to start the game. We're at 2 INTs for the season now.
  • Mitchel with another great game, 15 tackles, 5 solos, 1 TFL
  • Defense held USU to 17 total yards in the first 29 mins, and 23 seconds of the first half.

The Bad:
  • Blown coverages by the DBs
  • Missed tackles
  • non-Mitchell, non-Tui LBs
  • Center snap timings
  • Opposing QB containment
  • DBs not turning around and flagged for PI
  • Blocking in screen passes + too many screen passes in general
  • WRs routes bunched together when separation in general is an issue
  • Roberson has touch issues on short passes
  • 1 total sack
  • Teammates running into Buckman during punt returns
  • Special teams in general

The Ugly:
  • TE blocking miscues
  • Allowing a TD with 37 secs left in the 2nd quarter. 2 plays, 75 yards.

Reaction Score
The decision not to run the clock down in the first half and then kick the FG is totally on Mora. 17-0 with all the momentum rather than giving an explosive team the ball with 40 seconds left.
What did you want them to do? The play call gave them a chance to get the first and should have kept the clock running.

Our qb made an awful throw on what should be a routine pitch and catch.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
What did you want them to do? The play call gave them a chance to get the first and should have kept the clock running.

Our qb made an awful throw on what should be a routine pitch and catch.
Run the ball and kick the field goal, that’s what I want them to do.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Have seen D backs and STs mentioned so far.

Here's the reality- EVERY squad contributed to this loss as they have done every game so far this season, in addition to squirelly calls by the coaches. The on difference is that USU's crappy D made this game closer than usual. TR's long TD through was a rarely called and even more rarely accurate anomally.

Before USU's first TD I thought we might have turned some kind of corner, but as soon the D backs choked in the final minute of the first I came back to earth and realized nothing had changed.

Don't know what Mora can do. I don't think he knows either. A sad state of affairs.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Sorry to the naysayers, but I don’t think it’s fair to second-guess a guy for trying to kick an extra-point in a 1-point game.
Exactly!

What little that was left from the crowd was getting rowdy and momentum was on our side. Most people are feeling confident in that situation at home against a team you should beat.

If Mora goes for 2 and we don't get it, the entire fan base would be calling for his head. He made the right call. We just didn't block...

Reaction Score
Big disappointment. USU was at a huge disadvantage. Traveling across country for a noon game on a wet field.They were asleep the first half. UConn let up.

Reaction Score
Exactly!

What little that was left from the crowd was getting rowdy and momentum was on our side. Most people are feeling confident in that situation at home against a team you should beat.

If Mora goes for 2 and we don't get it, the entire fan base would be calling for his head. He made the right call. We just didn't block...
At some point when you're 0-4 and played horrible, you have to say f-it, we're playing to win. I think that needs to be the philosophy the rest of the season. I'll take one less win on the year to see the coaching staff on coaches showing some testiculos.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
At some point when you're 0-4 and played horrible, you have to say f-it, we're playing to win. I think that needs to be the philosophy the rest of the season. I'll take one less win on the year to see the coaching staff on coaches showing some testiculos.

If the head coach says f-it and misses, then typically the fan base says f-u. I've been around long enough to know that's true. He made the right call. We weren't playing against freaking Tennessee! It was Utah State...

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
As others have said, the team showed some spirit today, and importantly the Offense fought back when the defense couldn't hold the line. A hard to stomach loss, but it shows why we aren't in a conference we'd like to be in.

Reaction Score
Kind of sick of blaming coaches. People Been blaming coaches for 10 years. How about players stop making ridiculous plays?
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, but as a coach, if you know your DBs are a major liability, you don’t play a defense that allows them to get burned at the end of the 1st half. This is twice it’s happened. Put them in an extreme prevent D and at least limit it to a FG at worst. Bad coaching.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The TE on the extra point was late at the snap. And then did nothing.
I never understood why, when given that situation, you would block the outside guy. He has way further to go to block a kick and his angle sucks. it’s almost always the inside guy that blocks the kick. See the Giants vs the Cowboys earlier this season.

Reaction Score
This program is bad. Top to bottom, it’s a disaster. Nothing will change because those in charge refuse to do anything meaningful.

I’m out for the rest of the season. I just can’t do it anymore. Respect for those who can; you are more dedicated fans than me.
Hang in there, UMESS and SHU should be wins

Reaction Score
This program is bad. Top to bottom, it’s a disaster. Nothing will change because those in charge refuse to do anything meaningful.

I’m out for the rest of the season. I just can’t do it anymore. Respect for those who can; you are more dedicated fans than me.
Goodbye then

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
This loss was all on the defense and special teams. Pretty much every touchdown in this game and a good amount of them in others have been on explosive plays, mostly busted coverage or from horrible special teams issues giving good field position to them.
Wrong. D provided O two short fields with INTs. USU's crappy D helped a lot too. Every squad (including coaches) contributed to the loss as usual. I think the closeness of the final score is more of a reflection of how poor USU's D is than any improvement on UConn's part.

Reaction Score
This one stings, not gonna sugar coat it.
A tough loss, but on the bright side if you look at the team stats you would say we outplayed them. We DID outplay them but still came out on the short end on the scoreboard, and that’s what a tough loss is. Even putting aside no Brewton, no Houston, and not having a defensive coordinator, we could be the best 0-5 team in the country.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Disagree but upvote for testiculos

Reaction Score
does anyone think the dancing after the 1st-half sack near student section was way, way overdone? Thought that was a bad sign. You're 0-4. get to the next play, which the DBs almost didn't. And judging by that end-of-half faceplant looks like they spent more time rehearsing dances than learning their roles. Same thing with the U.S. Ryder Cup team talking smack to the Europe fans when they're getting their butts kicked. overall defensive indiscipline is 100 pct. on Mora, who I like.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is worse than being a very long time Red Sox fan before John Henry got involved and worked magic. Maybe he has Connecticut ties to start supporting UConn fb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom