USU Post Game thoughts/Analysis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USU Post Game thoughts/Analysis

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree with all that. Although I would temper it with the fact that expectations for this season need to be modified for all the offensive injuries. We could be on the right track and still have another very poor season.
BL, does this mean that you are starting to believe?

Reaction Score
I think that the team wants to wait to have UCONN doctors make an assessment likely at John Dempsey hospital.

Reaction Score
Spot on analysis. Would had Chatelton’s play calling was weak. That last pick was 50% bad play calling. They were fully aware we would throw horizontally and it was just a matter of time. The screen plays are a disaster and need to be used judiciously. Once Utah understood we were running counter flows, they adjusted. Nick didn’t. Zion is no where near CFB ready. Happy feet, poor decisions, poor mechanics with low release. balls batted down. He looked like an undisciplined HS QB trying to use his athleticism to beat his opponent, but it ain’t high school and it doesn’t fly. All that said, the team looks like a credible football team. Expect teams to load the box until we can show we can develop a passing game.
Which raises the question: is CM that bad? If he doesn't get a whiff in the CCSU game, I guess the answer would be yes. Thing is, some guys play head and shoulders better than they practice. For whatever reason. UConn needs to find out what they have in him if he is now the #2. Gonna guess that he will not lack poise, at least. Either that, or give Drena some PT.

Reaction Score
My thoughts on the game:
Incredible resilience demonstrated by our team playing with many of our best players out of the game - truly amazing and much to build on.

Secondly, one thing I’ve learned over the years is that “good losses” don’t mean much. We need to wait and see…. I like optimism but last year we had some promising losses followed by some stinkers.

Thirdly, while I like to complain about the refereeing, typically I get over it and the game is what the game is. But yesterday‘s 4th quarter pass interference call tainted what was a tremendously entertaining football game.

Let me be clear, I am not saying that we would have definitely won the game albeit the pass interference call, but only that the call was stunningly bad and I think all players on the field knew it was the wrong call. Not only wrong but not even close - he was facing the ball and not even sure he made contact - that flag should have been picked up.

Had the referee not chose to take matters into his own hands, I think it could have been an exciting finish and been one of those classic college football games.

Reaction Score
Even with injuries to key players the team fought and clawed its way to within one score deep in the 4th quarter when the refs bailed Utah State out with a bogus PI call.
I was most impressed with the improvements on D. Players were running to the ball, gang tackling and hitting ball carriers like we haven't seen in a long time.

Reaction Score
All the analysis here is better than I could offer. I've always enjoyed going to the games, even when they weren't playing well, but this was the first time in a long time I was excited to watch the actual play.

Want to know: Was there any contact at all on the pass interference call that looked so bad? I was watching in a bar with the sound off and that was the moment a party of 11 walked in. Barely made out what happened and couldn't hear the commentary, but it looked like a big nothing burger to me, aside from their guy waving desperately for the call after falling. Pretty upsetting if it was as bad as it looked.
That blown call was the turning point in the game. If UConn gets the ball back at that point, the game would’ve gone down to the wire.

Reaction Score
Which raises the question: is CM that bad? If he doesn't get a whiff in the CCSU game, I guess the answer would be yes. Thing is, some guys play head and shoulders better than they practice. For whatever reason. UConn needs to find out what they have in him if he is now the #2. Gonna guess that he will not lack poise, at least. Either that, or give Drena some PT.
I believe he arrived late. I believe we’ll see him. He is next up.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
That blown call was the turning point in the game. If UConn gets the ball back at that point, the game would’ve gone down to the wire.
Yes, and the pressure of going down two scores affected our offense... That illegal touching no call in the first half is perplexing me as well...

Reaction Score
I think UConns O benefited from no film available to US in the first quarter. They adjusted their D pretty well in the rest of the game. Someone said teams will load the box going forward and I agree. Carter has great cut back ability but was disappointed he was caught from behind.

on D, I did not see any real blitz packages and the overall lack of QB pressure was not great. Loved the LB play and the tackling appeared light years ahead of the last few years.

Reaction Score
I thought Turner showed flashes of being good. He was just not accustomed to the speed. Everyone says that when you go up a level that is the toughest thing. The first pick was open but ball came out half second late.

The PI was atrocious. Never know why the officials don’t come together and talk more. One of the other guys had to know it was awful.

I am not happy but optimistic. Can’t wait until next week.

Reaction Score
Want to know: Was there any contact at all on the pass interference call that looked so bad? I was watching in a bar with the sound off and that was the moment a party of 11 walked in. Barely made out what happened and couldn't hear the commentary, but it looked like a big nothing burger to me, aside from their guy waving desperately for the call after falling. Pretty upsetting if it was as bad as it looked.

The accused pleads his case ;)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Spot on analysis. Would had Chatelton’s play calling was weak. That last pick was 50% bad play calling. They were fully aware we would throw horizontally and it was just a matter of time. The screen plays are a disaster and need to be used judiciously. Once Utah understood we were running counter flows, they adjusted. Nick didn’t. Zion is no where near CFB ready. Happy feet, poor decisions, poor mechanics with low release. balls batted down. He looked like an undisciplined HS QB trying to use his athleticism to beat his opponent, but it ain’t high school and it doesn’t fly. All that said, the team looks like a credible football team. Expect teams to load the box until we can show we can develop a passing game.
After trashing Charlton and Zion, what would you have done differently if you were Charlton?

Reaction Score
The angle from the front made the call look even more egregiously bad. Anthony slowed up to make a play on the ball on an underthrow and even hit the ball with his arm. He's got a right to the ball, it was a terrible, terrible call.

Reaction Score
Yes, and the pressure of going down two scores affected our offense... That illegal touching no call in the first half is perplexing me as well...
Unfortunately it was the right call. He went out of bounds on his own and was first to touch it in field of play. If he was forced out and came back in there would be a case, like the catch earlier in the game by Utah St, but that was just a mistake of not being aware of your boundary.

Reaction Score
Watched the game a 2nd time and need better play at RT. Lundt got beat too much and Fortin played well at C and OG but also got beat at RT.
I think UConns O benefited from no film available to US in the first quarter. They adjusted their D pretty well in the rest of the game. Someone said teams will load the box going forward and I agree. Carter has great cut back ability but was disappointed he was caught from behind.

on D, I did not see any real blitz packages and the overall lack of QB pressure was not great. Loved the LB play and the tackling appeared light years ahead of the last few years.

Our O-line coach is gonna have to work quickly to figure out the RT situation, it seems Fortin also got beat of the edge when he went in at RT. In most cases, a qb should step up in the pocket if that is the case, but I’m not sure if it was just Utah De was much better or Lundt and Fortin probably need time to develop. It’s only the first game, but most important is they did not give up a sack which means they recovered to block but that won’t always be the case against good DEs.

I don’t think their D adjusted that well in my opinion, I think we should’ve kept running the ball down their throats with Carter, they had no answer for him and we should’ve then go off into playaction when they loaded the box but still run the ball. What ZT needs to do a better job is selling the fake…. Many times I saw him pull the ball for a pass too quickly instead of waiting for the running back run across him faking it like he is giving the ball to the RB. I think Charlton wants teams to load the box so it creates passing lanes, in which I think this game we did, but ZT was too slow and impatient. I expect Charlton will figure it out with ZT

Reaction Score
Too add on, Utah St had to use shovel passes and couple of trickery plays to gain yards when they felt very pressured ;)

Reaction Score
Only thing the coaches did that I questioned was not giving CM at least 1 more shot. It was successful the couple plays we gave him and we needed more offensively.

Other than that I liked the play calling. First time in forever it looked like we had an actual plan, well except for diaco where the plan was to run the clock out all game.

Obviously passing game needs a lot of work. This was a tough spot for Zion, starters reps this week, weaker opponent and being at home should help to get him more comfortable. Pass protection was concerning as good as they were in the run games.

Overall very encouraging. Even the most optimistic about this season had this down as a loss, and there were several plays you can point to that if that one play went different we could have won. Some in our control, some the refs

Reaction Score
Only thing the coaches did that I questioned was not giving CM at least 1 more shot. It was successful the couple plays we gave him and we needed more offensively.

Other than that I liked the play calling. First time in forever it looked like we had an actual plan, well except for diaco where the plan was to run the clock out all game.

Obviously passing game needs a lot of work. This was a tough spot for Zion, starters reps this week, weaker opponent and being at home should help to get him more comfortable. Pass protection was concerning as good as they were in the run games.

Overall very encouraging. Even the most optimistic about this season had this down as a loss, and there were several plays you can point to that if that one play went different we could have won. Some in our control, some the refs
Pass protection wasn’t bad except for the RT getting blown off the edge, we gave up no sacks and not a lot of qb hits. There was one play were ZT had a lot of time to throw the ball but I guess he didn’t see the receiver. Our o-line did a good job of controlling the trenches. The team who makes the least mistakes wins the game, unfortunately for us ZT was playing against a really good team. TQ would’ve done better since he played in tougher situations before.

Reaction Score
Thx. Guess I missed that. UC is down to three QB's then?

Yes, and one is coming off a severe knee injury last year. What players on our roster used to be QB's in high school? I know Rosa is one, anyone else?

Is it too late to add a QB to the roster? It is still August, isn't Micah Leon still looking for a landing spot?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom