USMNT Manager | The Boneyard

USMNT Manager

Reaction Score
Viera would be an improvement over all those current occupants

At the very least, let's get someone who's going to field a young team in a Gold Cup off year

Reaction Score
Hard pass.
Met him at the AO rally in 2016 and had a long chat over some drinks. LOVED what he had to say - especially in re: youth development.

Understand he is not a popular option - but, he brings a lot of good things to the table. Think he should be interim, at the least.

Reaction Score
Met him at the AO rally in 2016 and had a long chat over some drinks. LOVED what he had to say - especially in re: youth development.

Understand he is not a popular option - but, he brings a lot of good things to the table. Think he should be interim, at the least.

Where he is now is appropriate. His teams get found out a lot.

We need to be thinking bigger.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What about Avram Grant? He'd be all business.

Reaction Score
Tangential to this, but Dortmund is reportedly after David Wagner. But he probably doesn’t know as much about soccer as Bruce Arena.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To be fair, Arena always said nice things about the pitch at The Rent.

Reaction Score
Tangential to this, but Dortmund is reportedly after David Wagner. But he probably doesn’t know as much about soccer as Bruce Arena.

Is there any point to this whatsoever? Did we consider Wagner before hiring Arena?

Wagner is a great young coach on his way up. I'd love to see him take over the US National Team. I have little reason to think he will see that as his best opportunity.

Reaction Score
Big fan of Wagner - but to your last point, why would he come coach our MNT if Dortmund is calling

Reaction Score
Is there any point to this whatsoever? Did we consider Wagner before hiring Arena?

Wagner is a great young coach on his way up. I'd love to see him take over the US National Team. I have little reason to think he will see that as his best opportunity.

Key word being “tangential”.

Reaction Score
I have to ask since I'm over here and I didn't see anything online lately; are there any rumors or time frame for the next manager? Or are they waiting for leagues to finish?

Reaction Score
I have to ask since I'm over here and I didn't see anything online lately; are there any rumors or time frame for the next manager? Or are they waiting for leagues to finish?

who knows at this point - I was hoping once the USSF election ended we would hear more and have some sort of direction.

Unfortunately, time is not really of the essence with no tournament on the schedule until 2019

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm sure they want to wait til after leagues are over and possibly/probably after the WC when more managers will be available.

However I heard today on Sirius XM ( I think it was Grumpy Pundits), the candidates they are looking at aren't all that interested.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they want to wait til after leagues are over and possibly/probably after the WC when more managers will be available.

However I heard today on Sirius XM ( I think it was Grumpy Pundits), the candidates they are looking at aren't all that interested.

While we'd all feel better if they filled the position, there just isn't a hurry as I wouldn't expect them to fill it until this World Cup cycle is over anyway. I'm more interested in them picking the right GM in any event, and then letting him be mostly responsible for the coach. If we had a GM this cycle, we'd presumably have done a better job of cup-tieing some of our younger, dual citizenship prospects.

Reaction Score
While we'd all feel better if they filled the position, there just isn't a hurry as I wouldn't expect them to fill it until this World Cup cycle is over anyway. I'm more interested in them picking the right GM in any event, and then letting him be mostly responsible for the coach. If we had a GM this cycle, we'd presumably have done a better job of cup-tieing some of our younger, dual citizenship prospects.

I don’t have as much faith in installing another layer of bureaucracy.

Reaction Score
I don’t have as much faith in installing another layer of bureaucracy.

I think the Gonzalez situation illustrates it perfectly. Arena only has one goal in mind -- the short term goal of qualifying for the World Cup, because if he doesn't he's gone anyway. We need the coach to have a boss who can afford to have a longer term perspective, and be able to weigh in on decisions that might only be important 5 or 9 years down the road. Like having allowed Gonzalez to be cap tied when we were up 4 goals in the penultimate qualifier. It's a good step.

Reaction Score
I think the Gonzalez situation illustrates it perfectly. Arena only has one goal in mind -- the short term goal of qualifying for the World Cup, because if he doesn't he's gone anyway. We need the coach to have a boss who can afford to have a longer term perspective, and be able to weigh in on decisions that might only be important 5 or 9 years down the road. Like having allowed Gonzalez to be cap tied when we were up 4 goals in the penultimate qualifier. It's a good step.

Jurgen never missed that badly with a recruit. The problem was Bruce not the lack of a GM.

BTW. Did you hear about Thomas Rongen’s insane rant on Twitter? He said that Messi had poor football IQ. This was Arena’s head of scouting.

Reaction Score
semi related to this thread - LOVE the youth called in for Paraguay! Especially excited to see Weah & Novakovic on the roster.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):
GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland/DEN; 5/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 1/0)

DEFENDERS (8): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Ipswich Town/ENG; 1/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 14/1), Matt Miazga (Vitesse/NED; 4/1), Shaq Moore (Levante/ESP; 0/0), Erik Palmer-Brown (Kortrijk/BEL; 0/0), Antonee Robinson (Bolton Wanderers/ENG; 0/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 15/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 49/0)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 1/1), Darlington Nagbe (Atlanta United FC; 24/1), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 2/0), Kenny Saief (Anderlecht/BEL; 1/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 3/0), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA; 0/0)

FORWARDS (3): Andrija Novakovich (Telstar/NED; 0/0), Rubio Rubin (Club Tijuana/MEX; 4/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 36/10)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have to say that in spite of MLS this generation of players doesn't look that promising outside of a couple.

Most of the European based players are not getting into the 18 even at lower clubs and leagues.

The best prospects are all under 20, which is both good and risky. What are the odds that a majority of them will develop?

That might be what is chasing the coaches away.

Reaction Score
I have to say that in spite of MLS this generation of players doesn't look that promising outside of a couple.

this XI is certainly promising

Steffen
Yedlin Miazga Carter-Vickers Licaj
Adams Nagbe McKinnie
Pulisic Weah Sargent

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members