USA vs Canada | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One last point - anyone who wants to point to college competition and animosity - when the ND great on the Canadian team went down in a collision and stayed down, the first person to reach her was Geno, and the second was Angel - for some reason both the Canadian players and the coaching staff and trainer were slow to react and realize she was really shaken up. And I was very thankful when she returned to the game later.

(Not blaming Canada in any way, they really had lost sight of her plight at the other end of the court. This is only meant to be a positive statement with no negative connotations. And I would expect the same behavior by all coaches and players and have seen it in numerous college games.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One last point - anyone who wants to point to college competition and animosity - when the ND great on the Canadian team went down in a collision and stayed down, the first person to reach her was Geno, and the second was Angel - for some reason both the Canadian players and the coaching staff and trainer were slow to react and realize she was really shaken up. And I was very thankful when she returned to the game later.

(Not blaming Canada in any way, they really had lost sight of her plight at the other end of the court. This is only meant to be a positive statement with no negative connotations. And I would expect the same behavior by all coaches and players and have seen it in numerous college games.)
I forgot to put that in my write-up. Yep, Geno helped Natalie. It was a nice gesture.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What I realized watching both of these games live (France/Australia and USA/Canada) is how this team is built - Griner is specifically on this team rather than Nneka because of Cambage, and that might be the only game if it happens where she gets lots of minutes. Sylvia Fowles is there for the same reason. Neither are really good in space on defense, but both demand a lot of attention on offense which opens up the mid-range and the arc for everyone else. They are the two best post players for international rules basketball with international rules refs. And everyone else on the team is skilled in the mid-range and out past the arc.
The other thing that really stood out is what a huge difference international play is from the WNBA - if this game was played with WNBA refs under WNBA rules, there would have been 50 fouls called on each team. The amount of physical contact allowed was stunning, but the reaching fouls were the pretty similar. That these players can transition between the two systems so easily is a testament to how skilled they are (and how important playing internationally in the winter is to USA basketball evaluation - Diggins should take note!)

I saw them laughing together during the game as well at one point as they came up the court - they both seemed to be having fun.

USA is still a little ragged and there are a lot of combinations playing together at different times - coaches are still figuring it out. I was impressed that Sylvia Fowles was playing the center of the trapping full court pressure at times - the role Stewart also plays - and Sylvia got a turnover out of that pressure (not sure she got credit, but it was her deflection.)

Thanks TonyC - great seats and a lot of fun.
And a shout out to our Dave from Naples - impressed you made it - thanks for your hosting two Thanksgivings ago.
Agreed. And about the fouling, there were so many non-calls that the ones called seemed arbitrary. However, the lack of international play doesn't seem to bother Elena. Stewie's versatility is her virtue. She needs however to settle herself, make the open shot, be willing to create for herself and just believe in her abilities. Of course, avoid those reach in fouls on the ball and stay aggressive off the ball.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And yes, Bird did get beat off the dribble quite a few times. Early she was saved by Stewie's two handed block. The Canadian guards not surprisingly found penetration difficult because of the effective switching and the length inside. The Canadian guards had equal trouble penetrating through the 2-3. That coupled with their poor outside shooting made it a rough game for them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree about the offense being different from the typical WNBA,

You would hope so wouldn't you? I wish I had posted a brief Geno video the other day in which he said he was going to use these games very experimentally. Same video in which he said he was pleased with how this team is so open to learning, soaking up new things. That, I have to believe, is a tribute to Geno.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Funny how perceptions don't reflect what the box score shows.

Charles had 6 points and 3 rebounds in 15:08
Fowles had 4 points and 3 rebounds in 11:16
Stewart had 5 points and 2 rebounds in 15:02
BG had 7 points and 3 rebounds in 15:02

Yet BG is the only one of those 4 to receive criticism in this thread. Maybe Nneka should have replaced each of them.

It would be fun to watch Nneka try to guard Cambage.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
7 Points, 3 rebounds and 2 steals in 15 minutes. She had some flashes, but still not playing with 'explosive energy'. If nothing else, they need Griner to match up with Cambage. I think Geno should start BG Monday and get her as many 'practice' minutes against Cambage as possible.

Don't try to confuse everyone with stats when perceptions are readily available. And BG got to the line more than any other plqyer on the team, knocking down 5-6. Syl made only 2-5. Charles and Stewart didnt get to the line one time.

Reaction Score
Liked your whole post, but wanted to highlight this - because you see it with the way he uses all his players. There was a 5 minute stretch where Maya Moore was playing point with Sue, Lindsey, and DT on the bench at the same time. He played Breanna at point in a number of sets, not bringing the ball up, but having her be the initiator of offense at the high post. Having Breanna (we have seen it through college) play the center of trapping defense, but then putting Sylvia a vastly different player performing the exact same role for a stretch of the game.

I agree about the offense being different from the typical WNBA, just like San Antonio has for the last 15 years stood out in the NBA. And I would say that the defense is also much more committed and coordinated (still a work in progress!) And I think that is part of what makes Uconn players so treasured in the WNBA and on the Olympic team. You can point to any of a number of Canadian scores and say someone got beat, and DT and Maya, and Breanna, and Tina were all responsible for some of those plays (left Sue out because I actually cannot remember her getting beat, but I might have missed it) but every player does get beat at this level of play one on one. But the commitment to help defense, and the intensity of focus was constant.
Yes and the one time a player got beat early, was a 2 handed Stewie swat, not in my house. Lisa loved that 2 handed swat, early in the game, and pretty much set the tone for the night.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I thought Cambage was a monster, when and if she feels to play
Can hit the 15-footer and tough, tough inside, not to be underestimated.

US defense was a thing of beauty against Canada in gerneral and poor Kia, in particular.
It was like a gifted college Junior playing against the top pros...oops, that's what itwas.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Funny how perceptions don't reflect what the box score shows.

Charles had 6 points and 3 rebounds in 15:08
Fowles had 4 points and 3 rebounds in 11:16
Stewart had 5 points and 2 rebounds in 15:02
BG had 7 points and 3 rebounds in 15:02

Yet BG is the only one of those 4 to receive criticism in this thread. Maybe Nneka should have replaced each of them.

It would be fun to watch Nneka try to guard Cambage.
ETT - If you look at my earlier comments, I do not question in any way BG being on this team, but I do recognize that there are specific match-ups involved in that decision (the one you mention specifically and I too mentioned.) In games against other teams with international style centers, her strengths are not as useful and her weaknesses get more exposed. BG (and Sylvia as well) are on this team with one team in mind, Australia, who is likely as they were in England, to be the stiffest competition we face. They will performing with varying levels of success in other games, but they are essential to that one game.

What I will say, and I saw it yesterday in person as I have seen it in the WNBA this year, is that there is something not right with her emotionally, mentally, or physically this summer. She has played professionally much better than she is this year and I do not know what it is that is causing that. There is almost a lethargy in her game - you see glimpses of the 'real BG' but it is just not consistently coming out on the floor. It is similar in result to two college games in her great college career - Louisville and that first game against Uconn when she looked lost and where she in the Uconn game asked Kim to get her to the bench. Those were single games, but I am seeing the same lack of confidence or fight in almost every WNBA game I have seen. A catch she usually makes she fumbles, a shot she usually makes bounces off the rim, a player she usually dominates, she fades away from. By the way, Geno complained about Sylvia doing a similar thing in the last week, and I thought it resurfaced again yesterday. And in another thread I think you mentioned some of your own observation that match this. I almost responded there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Don't try to confuse everyone with stats when perceptions are readily available. And BG got to the line more than any other plqyer on the team, knocking down 5-6. Syl made only 2-5. Charles and Stewart didnt get to the line one time.
I was at the game. Griner was often out of position for rebounding and on defense. Yes, she blocked some shots but opponents had little trouble going around her. Lindsay Whalen beat Griner to defensive rebounds, for heaven's sake, because she went after the ball while Griner watched it come off the rim. It was not an impressive showing for Brittany.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was at the game. Griner was often out of position for rebounding and on defense. Yes, she blocked some shots but opponents had little trouble going around her. Lindsay Whalen beat Griner to defensive rebounds, for heaven's sake, because she went after the ball while Griner watched it come off the rim. She got to the line because Canada slapped and grabbed all game but didn't get called much except for the fouls on Griner, for some reason, but it certainly wasn't because of her aggressiveness. As for Tina, she shot from 12-15', which completely confused Canada so a defender wasn't usually near her.

Overall, it was not an impressive showing for Brittany.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was at the game. Griner was often out of position for rebounding and on defense. Yes, she blocked some shots but opponents had little trouble going around her. Lindsay Whalen beat Griner to defensive rebounds, for heaven's sake, because she went after the ball while Griner watched it come off the rim. She got to the line because Canada slapped and grabbed all game but didn't get called much except for the fouls on Griner, for some reason, but it certainly wasn't because of her aggressiveness. As for Tina, she shot from 12-15', which completely confused Canada so a defender wasn't usually near her.

I blame it on the coaching. So what was the excuse of the other players who played equal time and equal numbers? Gives up your assessment of why they didnt have better numbers.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT - If you look at my earlier comments, I do not question in any way BG being on this team, but I do recognize that there are specific match-ups involved in that decision (the one you mention specifically and I too mentioned.) In games against other teams with international style centers, her strengths are not as useful and her weaknesses get more exposed. BG (and Sylvia as well) are on this team with one team in mind, Australia, who is likely as they were in England, to be the stiffest competition we face. They will performing with varying levels of success in other games, but they are essential to that one game.

What I will say, and I saw it yesterday in person as I have seen it in the WNBA this year, is that there is something not right with her emotionally, mentally, or physically this summer. She has played professionally much better than she is this year and I do not know what it is that is causing that. There is almost a lethargy in her game - you see glimpses of the 'real BG' but it is just not consistently coming out on the floor. It is similar in result to two college games in her great college career - Louisville and that first game against Uconn when she looked lost and where she in the Uconn game asked Kim to get her to the bench. Those were single games, but I am seeing the same lack of confidence or fight in almost every WNBA game I have seen. A catch she usually makes she fumbles, a shot she usually makes bounces off the rim, a player she usually dominates, she fades away from. By the way, Geno complained about Sylvia doing a similar thing in the last week, and I thought it resurfaced again yesterday. And in another thread I think you mentioned some of your own observation that match this. I almost responded there.

Nothing that Geno cant correct.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

LOL. The refs only called fouls when Brittney* was being fouled. Riiiggghhhttt. It was a conspiracy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
On the Lisa Thomaidis bandwagon one More Time!

Not Sure this has been mentioned before but that Canadian National Team coach would make one hell of a NCAA coach IMO. I really admired the spacing and she always a cutter going to the basket.

Any major DI program looking for a new head coach (Duke are you listening!) would do well to consider Lisa Thomaidis the head coach of the Canadian national team. Of the current Canadian
National Team only 2 did not play college ball in the US=Canadian pipeline. Her teams are often outsized & out talented but I have never seem them not prepared. Her duties as Canadian National team coach would also not interfere with US head coaching gig either because she has been coaching college ball in Canada for 17 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom