USA-Opals! | Page 13 | The Boneyard

USA-Opals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
IDK, that's just what he said.

He may have said that too. I based what I said on the following quote from Geno after the China game and he repeated this on the Beth and Debbie shootaround podcast yesterday.

On the second straight game starting Maya and Candace coming off the bench:
Well, I’ve always liked having three shooters in the line-up to start the game. And by having Sue (Bird) and Dee (Diana Taurasi) and Maya (Moore), we’ve got three great three-point shooters…so it spreads the defense out and it allows Tamika (Catchings) and Tina (Charles) to start getting more single coverage inside. Having Candace come off the bench, you saw what she did today. When she came in off the bench she changed the game completely, because whoever she’s playing against is tired and whoever the other team brings in isn’t as good as her. So she’s got a huge advantage in that situation. And maybe she’s pissed at me ‘cause I’m not starting her and that’s why she’s playing the way she does, ya know what, I’m okay with that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He may have said that too. I based what I said on the following quote from Geno after the China game and he repeated this on the Beth and Debbie shootaround podcast yesterday.

On the second straight game starting Maya and Candace coming off the bench:
Well, I’ve always liked having three shooters in the line-up to start the game. And by having Sue (Bird) and Dee (Diana Taurasi) and Maya (Moore), we’ve got three great three-point shooters…so it spreads the defense out and it allows Tamika (Catchings) and Tina (Charles) to start getting more single coverage inside. Having Candace come off the bench, you saw what she did today. When she came in off the bench she changed the game completely, because whoever she’s playing against is tired and whoever the other team brings in isn’t as good as her. So she’s got a huge advantage in that situation. And maybe she’s pissed at me ‘cause I’m not starting her and that’s why she’s playing the way she does, ya know what, I’m okay with that.
I read that too. Thought that was more after the fact. But whatever, it seems to work pretty well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I rewatched the second half online (w/ the Aussie announcers) and noticed a few things:

• There was a time in the 3rd Q (~ 4-5 mins left) when Candace and Syl were in and on two occasions allowed Aus to grab some loose balls w/out diving for the ball. The Aussie announcers talked about The Aussies playing with more heart. Tina and Asjha were then put in the game and things changed.
  • After Siemone scored on the play Geno drew up you can see Geno and Dee exchange a hand-slap.
  • In addition to playing tough D on LJ, Asjha set a great screen for Seimone who drained the jumper.
  • The announcers talked about Tina with words like "wonderful game," "superb," "the next Lisa Leslie," and she's only 23 years old. Nice.
  • Seimone Augustus played some terrific D in the 2nd half.
  • In talking about Parker and defending Cambage, the Aussie announcers talked about Parker being taller than Tina but not playing a physical game. Australia and its style is not a great match-up for Parker.
the Opals made most of the hustle plays, especially in the first half.

I agree about Seimone's defense. She is an outstanding athlete. Regarding her scoring, I was yelling to get her some midrange jumpers. Geno must have heard me. :)

Re Tina, yeah, the 2010 team was pretty good with the two best players in the country. They are like Butch and Sundance. They will be taking home some gold--legally.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just watched the second half on line with the other announcers - what a treat, and by the way the antipodean accent was actually from NZ so not an Aussie - and New Zealanders tend to have a thing about Australia. I thought he was very good though and while critical of the Aussies, not unfairly.
On seeing the foul on Catch - the third angle which I had not seen before really looked like a punch - fist to the gut with a bent arm - in the other angles you only saw the end where the arm had straightened and it looked like it had 'struck' in the crotch as Catch ran through the lane. Don't think Cambage swung hard, but you don't have to when someone is running straight in to your fist.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One more thing from the Aussie announcers (I just finished watching), they both thought Cambage punched Catchings on that foul late in the game. Remember Catch was bent over for a few minutes. The US announcers (Ann and the pbp guy) both said it was unintentional but the Aussie announcers had a different take. I agree with the Aussie guys.
It was closed fist.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It was closed fist.

It looked like a closed fist to me also when I saw the HD rebroadcast on television yesterday evening. I was surprised that Ann Meyers-Drysdale and the play by play guy didn't make an issue of it when they saw the replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom