USA-Opals! | Page 11 | The Boneyard

USA-Opals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't think Geno likes the way the Aussie coach has her team play so rough.

Yes, especially when she has them banging Dee right up to the final whistle...very bush league!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Wow, I just read the thread, travelling and could not even get on line. What a amazingly exiting thread! You guys are the best!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Hammon is not nearly as good as any of those and a couple of others as well.

I think she's pretty darned good and on any given night (only too often, speaking as a Lynx fan) in the "W" she can take over like no other.

Still fine with the guard selections for this team, though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dee was getting pissed at the physical play and officiating.

Cambage was using her elbows a lot. The officials allow a lot of body contact inside. It's amazing. But we let her get position, get O boards, and get passes in good position.

Candace gave up about 60 pounds, and Tina and Asjha gave up 5-6". I was surprised that Syl was not more effective.

Reaction Score
Dee was getting pissed at the physical play and officiating.

Cambage was using her elbows a lot. The officials allow a lot of body contact inside. It's amazing. But we let her get position, get O boards, and get passes in good position.

Candace gave up about 60 pounds, and Tina and Asjha gave up 5-6". I was surprised that Syl was not more effective.

Syl is used to being able to muscle players...she needed to finesse Cambage on offense and get lower on her at the defensive end...I only saw her go around her once on offense, the rest of the time it was all power moves. On defense, no one seemed to be boxing her out effectively until her lack of conditioning took her legs away.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't think Geno likes the way the Aussie coach has her team play so rough.
I actually thought is was more of an 'exhausted' hand shake. I don't think Geno expected anything else from the Opals - he was just disappointed in the USA defense in the first half. Big change in the second half - very few AUS wing players were able to dribble drive into the paint and dish to Liz/Lauren - the help rotations were also much quicker so the available passes were being tipped or stolen.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think she's pretty darned good and on any given night (only too often, speaking as a Lynx fan) in the "W" she can take over like no other.

Still fine with the guard selections for this team, though.
She is fine many nights but the three named and a couple of others are still better than her to my eye. Piph and Cappie just to name two.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
and really... i doubt that Jones or Cash get any minutes in a game this close.....

what a waste of spots...

i know we could have used Dupree, Brunson, or any tough minded player..... to bang in the paint...rebound and secure the ball better. and play better defense
That is a seriously ignorant comment and surprising for someone who should know better. Jones has better offense that Brunson, better defense than Dupree, and was a much better choice. You ought to think before you post.

I think Jones pretty much showed exactly why she was chosen. Her defense and "toughness" was spectacular. As for Cash, even tho she didn't get in, she's much more versatile an offensive player than Brunson or Dupree. She's developed a better mid-range and 3-point game than those 2. Neither of them would have seen the court either in this game, anyway.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Lisa Leslie credits Tina Charles with the turnaround on Cambage...says Candace Parker just too light...
I'm betting some fans will say that's because Geno misused Parker. Even at 6'5", she fancies herself a 3 and likes to play more on the perimeter than Geno allowed her to. It's one of the reasons IMHO Geno benched her and put in Maya as a starter. The other reason was the effort she was putting forth, and the intensity of defense. Maya was better in all accounts.

Reaction Score
That is a seriously ignorant comment and surprising for someone who should know better. Jones has better offense that Brunson, better defense than Dupree, and was a much better choice. You ought to think before you post.

I think Jones pretty much showed exactly why she was chosen. Her defense and "toughness" was spectacular. As for Cash, even tho she didn't get in, she's much more versatile an offensive player than Brunson or Dupree. She's developed a better mid-range and 3-point game than those 2. Neither of them would have seen the court either in this game, anyway.

You should defend a former UConn player, but that's a lot of opinion not a ton of fact. You have no idea who would have gotten in and how they would have performed since it's all about match-ups. The truth is that outside of Connecticut Brunson has been considered at the very least on par with Jones if not better. Their head to head match-ups have favored Brunson recently. I'm sure there have been other factors like injury and health. As far as Dupree, it's been documented that she was superior in the last worlds than Jones who wasn't even used while Dupree led in rebounding and was a part-time starter. Cash's playing time is a "victim" of depth not talent. They all would have been fine picks for team USA. There is no clear cut superiority. No need to suggest replacing either Cash or Jones and no need to downgrade the abilities of Brunson or Dupree. I've said it before and I still feel you could replace at least a 1/3 of this team with players who would give you just as much on the court and the US would be fine and win gold.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You should defend a former UConn player, but that's a lot of opinion not a ton of fact. You have no idea who would have gotten in and how they would have performed since it's all about match-ups. The truth is that outside of Connecticut Brunson has been considered at the very least on par with Jones if not better. Their head to head match-ups have favored Brunson recently. I'm sure there have been other factors like injury and health. As far as Dupree, it's been documented that she was superior in the last worlds than Jones who wasn't even used while Dupree led in rebounding and was a part-time starter. Cash's playing time is a "victim" of depth not talent. They all would have been fine picks for team USA. There is no clear cut superiority. No need to suggest replacing either Cash or Jones and no need to downgrade the abilities of Brunson or Dupree. I've said it before and I still feel you could replace at least a 1/3 of this team with players who would give you just as much on the court and the US would be fine and win gold.
Thanks for correcting us. :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Then i would tell those people "outside" UCONN that they are ignorant as well. not that it matters, but Jones (13.1) is averaging 1.5 LESS PPG than Dupree (14.6). Hardly newsworthy. Jones hits 33% of her 3 pointers, neither Dupreee nor Brunson has that kind of range. This year alone, Jones is averaging over 2 PPG more than Brunson. I still maintain Jones is a superior defender to Dupree, a better offensive player than Brunson, and a better choice for the team.

And BTW, in the W this year, Jones 10.3 rebounds per game blows away Dupree's 7.2 by a mile. Brunson's 12.8 is clearly better. But we've already established based on FACTS that Jones is more versatile than either of the other two, and her offense is clearly superior to Brunson and her defense is clearly superior to Dupree's.

Additionally, Jones averaged over 20 PPG and 11 RPG in the Euroleague championships. Frankly, I would have chosen Jones over Cash, but to argue that Brunson or Dupree were better choices than Jones is ignorant. So i don't know how long ago you are using statistics, but if that were the only factor, Jones is superior recently to either of the other two. So yeah, the people who are angry that so many UCONN players represent team USA can say what they want. It's simply ignorant to say Jones is undeserving. And there you have a "ton of fact".

Any of those players would indeed have been fine choices. But it's people who are jealous of the success of UCONN and the fact that we represent 50% of the US National team that rankles those who criticize Jones' choice. And as I said before, people who say that are ignorant.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
It was true. It is clear that CP3 just doesn't like being physical and bumping bodies inside. Interesting that Lisa as a former teammate would call her out.

LLL said "TOO LIGHT" and that's a far cry from liking physicality. Some match ups are simply ba match ups, but that has nothing to do with what a player likes to do. CP3 gets to the line often, more often than most, and that's because she initates the contact. Players that initiate contact and get to the line are physical players that don't shy away from contact. Players like Tina and Big Syl have a stronger base and better ability to push players like Cambage out of the paint. That's why some players are defensive backs while other players are line backers...physical make up...but both like being physical.

Liz Cambage weighs 214
Fowles weighs 200
Tina weighs 198
Candace weighs 175

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
LLL said "TOO LIGHT" and that's a far cry from liking physicality. Some match ups are simply ba match ups, but that has nothing to do with what a player likes to do. CP3 gets to the line often, more often than most, and that's because she initates the contact. Players that initiate contact and get to the line are physical players that don't shy away from contact. Players like Tina and Big Syl have a stronger base and better ability to push players like Cambage out of the paint. That's why some players are defensive backs while other players are line backers...physical make up...but both like being physical.

Liz Cambage weighs 214
Fowles weighs 200
Tina weighs 198
Candace weighs 175

Lisa Leslie said she is too light. My observation was that CP3 doesn't like the contact, she doesn't, it is obvious in her play and hesitancy to go inside. I am not talking offense. She has little commitment to the battle.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Lisa Leslie said she is too light. My observation was that CP3 doesn't like the contact, she doesn't, it is obvious in her play and hesitancy to go inside. I am not talking offense. She has little commitment to the battle.

As you stated, that is your observation. However, those that have coached her don't share those same sentiments. There is no way a non-committed player can grab that many rebounds and block that many shots in the professional game. Stats don't support what you state and neither do her many coaches.

Reaction Score

Liz Cambage weighs 214
Fowles weighs 200
Tina weighs 198
Candace weighs 175

Liz Cambage weighed 214 when she was 12...not even close to that now! Don't believe everything you read...

Reaction Score
and really... i doubt that Jones or Cash get any minutes in a game this close.....

what a waste of spots...

i know we could have used Dupree, Brunson, or any tough minded player..... to bang in the paint...rebound and secure the ball better. and play better defense
Talk about chutzpah!

You Lady Bares All fans ought to be quiet. You had an Olympic roster spot offered to your All-American and she declined.

Reaction Score
Geno's adjustments were effective against Cambage...no doubt aided by her lack of conditioning
I hope UConn's post players were watching at home and learned a lesson from this game. If you are going to be gassed, do it at your local Exxon station!

U

UCONNfan1

As you stated, that is your observation. However, those that have coached her don't share those same sentiments. There is no way a non-committed player can grab that many rebounds and block that many shots in the professional game. Stats don't support what you state and neither do her many coaches.
No one is really saying Candace isn't a great player. The "coaches and others" you refer to have let her be much more perimeter oriented in her offense. In the WNBA, she has more of a face up game that includes shooting from the 3-point line. Geno does not want her playing that way on the US National team since Fowles and Charles are the only 2 centers on the team, and that means Catch, Parker, and Jones are the only other interior players with size.

Parker lost her starting spot to Moore, something I bet Tennessee fans went bonkers over, but she responded in the following games with her most complete performances of the Olympics. I saw several games where Parker decided to bring the ball up the court (instead of dishing if off to a guard) and took a few perimeter shots. This was before she was benched. The message obviously was "you are not a guard, nor are you a wing". At least not on this team. They have Moore, McCaughtry, and Augustus to play that role.

I will agree that some of Candace's strengths lie in what she does out on the perimeter - especially for her size, but the others i mentioned are better ball handlers and better perimeter shooters so Team USA has needed her to play in the post and use her strengths and gifts there.

Candace has been an important part of the team. The scoring load has been incredibly spread out and Moore, Taurasi, Catch, Augustus, McCaughtry, Charles and Whalen have all been among the top team scorers on any given day.

In fact, of the top 10 players, Bird at 5.4 to Taurasi at 12.9 PPG represents a fairly low spread for the top 10 scoring players on the team. very spread out scoring. No superstars on the team, and a great example of team basketball which is, after all, what Geno wanted all along.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is those who have coached her who have let her cheat her talent. I didn't say she wasn't committed to everything, i said she isn't committed to the work needed to play in the post and to play physical D. If you can't see what I'm talking about on defense bringing in others isn't going to impress me. Candace was most likely moved to coming off the bench exactly because of her unwillingness to get tough against players in the post and play interior D, including players like Cambage and Jackson. Maya Moore did it willingly and she doesn't have Parker's size but she has three times Parker's will. It is about having the will to make the effort nothing else. It is one thing to struggle to be effective doing something and something else to not even try.mParker simply doesn't have the will. It is obvious. She is awesomely talented I can't imagine how good she could be if she had Tina's or Maya's heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom