pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
7 Huskies are included... DT, Birdie, Tina, Maya, Dolson, KML and Stewart

LINK

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Six college players included: McBride, Dolson, KML, Sims, Stewart and Thomas.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If I'm including Stewie and Alyssa Thomas, I'm also including Chiney Oguwmike. All three are equally deserving. Would like to know why she wasn't selected or did she decide not to play. I do believe she turn down an offer for last years World University Game that Kaleena and Kaleena were members of.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thomas, Steward, Dolson, and KML but no Chiney? That seems strange...

Reaction Score
If I'm including Stewie and Alyssa Thomas, I'm also including Chiney Oguwmike. All three are equally deserving. Would like to know why she wasn't selected or did she decide not to play. I do believe she turn down an offer for last years World University Game that Kaleena and Kaleena were members of.

I would also like to know. She is the best rebounder in the college game, by far.

Chiney did not play in World University Games because she committed to spend the summer in Nigeria for school.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chiney declined to attend the USA BB Training camp in October (4-6). As I recall she tweeted that she wanted to focus on school and the upcoming season. The 6 college players in the pool attended the camp.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not attending this camp probably the reason why she wasn't invited. Other college players attended and still focused on their schooling. Still I invite her, if I'm inviting her sister.

Chiney declined to attend the USA BB Training camp in September. As I recall she tweeted that she wanted to focus on school and the upcoming season. The 6 college players in the pool attended the camp.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Bria, as she was invited but was injured and therefore could not attend the training.

Reaction Score
Thomas, Steward, Dolson, and KML but no Chiney? That seems strange...

very.
Not attending this camp probably the reason why she wasn't invited. Other college players attended and still focused on their schooling. Still I invite her, if I'm inviting her sister.

I invite her because she is the top rebounder in the game. Nothing to do with her sister. Other players have missed training camps over the years, including Lobo.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Nneka's invitation has nothing to do with Chiney. Seems like Chiney's decision not to attend the camp had consequences. Absent a compelling reason, that seems fair to those who chose to miss a few days of school and preseason workouts.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Chiney and Bria both missed the camp and both have not been included in this initial pool. But it is 'initial' and I think that is important to remember. This pool includes every college player that was at the camp and no college players that were not, so I think quite simply that was the criteria for the college kids. And the first camp is still 3-4 months off so things could easily change by April.
On a separate issue I am really happy that Lawson is still in the pool. I suspect she will not make the team unless there are injuries, but I think it is a mark of respect shown to her for her long commitment to and excellence with USA basketball. And she happens to be one of my favorites now that she is removed from the evil empire!

On Edit - I also think the openings for current college kids on the WC team will be very limited as in 0, 1, or maybe 2 spots so the bigger issue will be the pool after 2014.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
7 Huskies are included... DT, Birdie, Tina, Maya, Dolson, KML and Stewart

Sounds like a giant recruiting plus for UConn. Especially if one certain recruit would love a chance to get invited to a Team USA tryout.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Agree. IMHO the only two college players that MIGHT have a chance to make the 2014 World Championship roster are Stewie and Odyssey. Just have a belief that Sue won't play on the 2014 team and I would take Odyssey over Skylar. Stewie is a long shot to make the team, but just might because of her history with USA Basketball.

Chiney and Bria both missed the camp and both have not been included in this initial pool. But it is 'initial' and I think that is important to remember. This pool includes every college player that was at the camp and no college players that were not, so I think quite simply that was the criteria for the college kids. And the first camp is still 3-4 months off so things could easily change by April.
On a separate issue I am really happy that Lawson is still in the pool. I suspect she will not make the team unless there are injuries, but I think it is a mark of respect shown to her for her long commitment to and excellence with USA basketball. And she happens to be one of my favorites now that she is removed from the evil empire!

On Edit - I also think the openings for current college kids on the WC team will be very limited as in 0, 1, or maybe 2 spots so the bigger issue will be the pool after 2014.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Which college team has been the best over the last Six Years and sent more players to the WNBA? How many will go to the WNBA from UConn's current roster and most likely make a team?

Sounds like a giant recruiting plus for UConn. Especially if one certain recruit would love a chance to get invited to a Team USA tryout.

Reaction Score
Stewie is a long shot to make the team, but just might because of her history with USA Basketball.

Might not be that much of a long shot just for that very reason.

Stewie has always been honored to be a part of USA Basketball. To her, its one of the most important things she can do. She never passes us the chance to participate. She’s played at her age group, she’s played above it by sometimes three years [of age]. And she always performs at a very high level. She has a strong commitment that USA Basketball appreciates.

“There are some people you need to ask 10 times [if they want to play for USA Basketball]. You never have to ask Stewie. All you need to do is tell her when camp is and she shows up. And whatever team she is on usually wins a gold medal.

“I am not surprised USA Basketball thinks that highly of her. She has certainly earned it and there are likely more gold medals in her future.

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/geno-on-breanna-stewarts-usa-basketball-honor/

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Chiney declined to attend the USA BB Training camp in October (4-6). As I recall she tweeted that she wanted to focus on school and the upcoming season. The 6 college players in the pool attended the camp.

I'll bet that weighed heavily. I would hope her decision to do the summer in Nigeria did not hurt too much (although it can't possibly help), but USA basketball, both with players and coaches, puts a lot of weight on prior willingness to be involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom