Us vs the field | The Boneyard

Us vs the field

Reaction Score
I just saw that. I’m not a betting man, but I think that implies a 50% chance of UConn winning a national title.

Reaction Score
And now we find out what our mental toughness is.....

Loop Love GIF by Philbert

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Any sane bettor would take the field.

Big picture for me is UConn has returned to the spotlight nationally where it's the only program this year that makes that bet seem like a reasonable proposition.

No one is using Purdue, Houston, Arizona or any other team for that proposition.

king-history.gif

Reaction Score
The 2006-07 Florida Gators, defending national champions, reached Christmas that season with only two losses. They then embarked on a 17-game winning streak, leaving little doubt about the identity of the top team in the land. Perhaps a bit bored, the Gators dropped three of five to end the regular season before eviscerating their SEC and NCAA tournament competition (nine straight wins and an average victory margin of 16 points). If this all sounds a little like the 2023-24 UConn Huskies, it's with good reason. These Huskies didn't return five starters like the 2006-07 Gators -- no one does in today's game -- but UConn is following a similar script. And the Huskies have been just as dominant during their current 14-game winning streak, leaving little doubt they'll be favored to defend their NCAA title. You want Connecticut or the field next month? These Huskies are making it a very tough question.

Reaction Score
The 2006-07 Florida Gators, defending national champions, reached Christmas that season with only two losses. They then embarked on a 17-game winning streak, leaving little doubt about the identity of the top team in the land. Perhaps a bit bored, the Gators dropped three of five to end the regular season before eviscerating their SEC and NCAA tournament competition (nine straight wins and an average victory margin of 16 points). If this all sounds a little like the 2023-24 UConn Huskies, it's with good reason. These Huskies didn't return five starters like the 2006-07 Gators -- no one does in today's game -- but UConn is following a similar script. And the Huskies have been just as dominant during their current 14-game winning streak, leaving little doubt they'll be favored to defend their NCAA title. You want Connecticut or the field next month? These Huskies are making it a very tough question.

I made this analogy to Florida a few weeks ago. Lunardi doesn't mention this, but their 2006 team has a lot of parallels to our team last year.

Reaction Score
I made this analogy to Florida a few weeks ago. Lunardi doesn't mention this, but their 2006 team has a lot of parallels to our team last year.

Not so sure about this. The '06 team, while supremely talented, always had the feeling of being fatally flawed. The lack of quickness and ball handling on the perimeter was always apparent, but it didn't often matter because we just buried teams inside.

Reaction Score
Not so sure about this. The '06 team, while supremely talented, always had the feeling of being fatally flawed. The lack of quickness and ball handling on the perimeter was always apparent, but it didn't often matter because we just buried teams inside.
I meant 2006 Florida and 2023 UConn have a lot of parallels (which Lunardi doesn't talk about), along with 2007 Florida and 2024 UConn having a lot of parallels so far (which he does).

Reaction Score
Vegas has UConn +500 or something, so the field would be like -600.

That said, nice commentary from the Worldwide Leader.

Reaction Score
I meant 2006 Florida and 2023 UConn have a lot of parallels (which Lunardi doesn't talk about), along with 2007 Florida and 2024 UConn having a lot of parallels so far (which he does).
Is it though? I don't really see the 2007 vs 2024 parallel. Their top 7 rotation players all returned for the 2007 season, we lost our 3 best players to the NBA

Reaction Score

Got it. I need to work on reading comprehension, apparently.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is it though? I don't really see the 2007 vs 2024 parallel. Their top 7 rotation players all returned for the 2007 season, we lost our 3 best players to the NBA

It's almost as if they acknowledged that elephant in the room in making the comparison. Almost.

"If this all sounds a little like the 2023-24 UConn Huskies, it's with good reason. These Huskies didn't return five starters like the 2006-07 Gators -- no one does in today's game -- but UConn is following a similar script."

Reaction Score
It's almost as if they acknowledged that elephant in the room in making the comparison. Almost.

"If this all sounds a little like the 2023-24 UConn Huskies, it's with good reason. These Huskies didn't return five starters like the 2006-07 Gators -- no one does in today's game -- but UConn is following a similar script."
Exactly, which is why I don't think it's a good comparison

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Exactly, which is why I don't think it's a good comparison

The 2006-07 Florida Gators, defending national champions, reached Christmas that season with only two losses. They then embarked on a 17-game winning streak, leaving little doubt about the identity of the top team in the land. Perhaps a bit bored, the Gators dropped three of five to end the regular season before eviscerating their SEC and NCAA tournament competition (nine straight wins and an average victory margin of 16 points). If this all sounds a little like the 2023-24 UConn Huskies, it's with good reason.

A defending champion.
2 Losses before New Year's
A major winning streak to start off the new year.
#1 ranking by February.

And you don't think that's a good comparison to this year's UConn team.

You keep doing you.

Reaction Score
The 2006-07 Florida Gators, defending national champions, reached Christmas that season with only two losses. They then embarked on a 17-game winning streak, leaving little doubt about the identity of the top team in the land. Perhaps a bit bored, the Gators dropped three of five to end the regular season before eviscerating their SEC and NCAA tournament competition (nine straight wins and an average victory margin of 16 points). If this all sounds a little like the 2023-24 UConn Huskies, it's with good reason.

A defending champion.
#1 ranking by February.

You keep doing you.
They both dominated the first 2/3 of the season after winning it all but there's not a lot of similarities in team makeup and development. The 07 Gators had basically been playing together for 20 months when they won it all

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The previous program (Duke 91-92) to win two straight had all of their starters coming back as well. This team being this good is really something.

Reaction Score

A defending champion.
#1 ranking by February.

You keep doing you.
I feel like you have to be intentionally missing the point right? All of that may be true, yet the teams are not remotely similar in how they're made up which is what we're talking about here

Reaction Score
With all this I think it’s evident that Danny is preferring to follow Genos way compared to everyone else’s. Just a feeling. It’s absolute devastation we are bringing as of Saturday. Just like GAs teams a decade ago. This is going to be a long and enjoyable ride.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I feel like you have to be intentionally missing the point right? All of that may be true, yet the teams are not remotely similar in how they're made up which is what we're talking about here

The point you've whiffed on several times is performance over a two-year period. It was never about roster composition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom