US vs France | The Boneyard

US vs France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Griner must be in the dog house. She's barely played. If I hear Geno yell hands up Stewie one more time!! The D looks fantastic. Now if they could only hit their layups!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Brittney is suffering from three things, Tina & Sylvia are playing exceptionally well, she is not, & none of the three can play a position besides center. That is not dog house that is depth at the position.

Reaction Score
im thinkin she's in the dog house because she isn't playin well

Reaction Score
Brittney is suffering from three things, Tina & Sylvia are playing exceptionally well, she is not, & none of the three can play a position besides center. That is not dog house that is depth at the position.

I'm sorry, but that is not true, at least IMO. Tina Charles played power forward on the 2014 team almost exclusively, next to Griner. With her speed, mobility, outside shot and ability to score facing the basket, she is an almost ideal power forward.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but that is not true, at least IMO. Tina Charles played power forward on the 2014 team almost exclusively, next to Griner. With her speed, mobility, outside shot and ability to score facing the basket, she is an almost ideal power forward.
True but the 2014 roster had No Catch, No Sylvia, No EDD, and Stewie had just completed her Sophomore NCAA season. So hopefully we can agree that Tina is better center than she is a PF and that EDD & Stewie are better PFs than Tina is a PF.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Hasn't Grines been banned from playing 20% of exhibitions and practices? Clearly she's not in shape.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I did think Griner looked a step slow and lost at times, but I also think some of might be self fulfilling prophecy, or vicious cycle. She's not playing well so she gets less time, and the less time she gets, her confidence stays low because she's afraid to make mistakes and so she doesn't play as well as we know she can.

Bottom line, I thought it was a great game. A couple of observations.

International teams all seem to play "in your face" defense. USA defense was really terrific most of the game (a few mental mistakes led to easy baskets by France), but I was surprised to see almost all defenders on both teams literally in the back pocket of the player they were guarding. Very physical.

Sue Bird was harassed relentlessly. She's not fast or quick and can't "get by or around" defenders, but she seems to have very few turnovers and makes excellent decisions.

Tina Charles is a BEAST. She missed a few bunnies, but is just terrific on offense and defense.

Diana is still something special and just a treat to watch. She has so much flair without being flashy.

I don't think anyone will ever outwork Maya. And she's a truly gifted offensive player.

Stewie totally looked like she belonged. A couple rookie mistakes, but overall, very solid and confident.

I was impressed with how tenacious the rest of the team is. The camaraderie is wonderful between all the players and it's pretty clear that's one reason this group was chosen. I thought Sylvia played really well too. I can understand she and Tina sharing the majority of the time at the 5. Because this team is so big (EDD as a starter means USA does not HAVE to start Griner and put Tina at the 4), they are able to mix and match. I can tell Geno loves the versatility of his forwards (Stewie, EDD, and Maya). I think the team is incredibly deep, but I also think they lack a bit of depth at the guard spots. When you consider he really probably wants Whalen, BIrd or Dee handling the rock, I think future Olympic teams will have another ball handler or 2 (when players like Augustus and McCaughtry "retire").

The 2nd half was obviously much more enjoyable than the 1st half. It's fun to see the team actually improving during the course of a game. One thing that did surprise me is to my untrained eyes, it seemed Griner and Catch contributed the least to the win. They each scored, but were largely invisible for the most part...

Reaction Score
The game was broken open in the 2nd half, when Geno went to the press, with Stewie, and Sylvia in the game. Stewie in the back-court with the guards presents unique problems for opposing teams. None of the other Olympic teams, can create in practice, the type of press the US team can throw at them.

Reaction Score
I'm am so looking forward to to nites game!!
For the sake of us old luddites, can someone explain in precise detail how we see that game on Facebook?

Reaction Score
I did think Griner looked a step slow and lost at times, but I also think some of might be self fulfilling prophecy, or vicious cycle. She's not playing well so she gets less time, and the less time she gets, her confidence stays low because she's afraid to make mistakes and so she doesn't play as well as we know she can.

Bottom line, I thought it was a great game. A couple of observations.

International teams all seem to play "in your face" defense. USA defense was really terrific most of the game (a few mental mistakes led to easy baskets by France), but I was surprised to see almost all defenders on both teams literally in the back pocket of the player they were guarding. Very physical.

Sue Bird was harassed relentlessly. She's not fast or quick and can't "get by or around" defenders, but she seems to have very few turnovers and makes excellent decisions.

Tina Charles is a BEAST. She missed a few bunnies, but is just terrific on offense and defense.

Diana is still something special and just a treat to watch. She has so much flair without being flashy.

I don't think anyone will ever outwork Maya. And she's a truly gifted offensive player.

Stewie totally looked like she belonged. A couple rookie mistakes, but overall, very solid and confident.

I was impressed with how tenacious the rest of the team is. The camaraderie is wonderful between all the players and it's pretty clear that's one reason this group was chosen. I thought Sylvia played really well too. I can understand she and Tina sharing the majority of the time at the 5. Because this team is so big (EDD as a starter means USA does not HAVE to start Griner and put Tina at the 4), they are able to mix and match. I can tell Geno loves the versatility of his forwards (Stewie, EDD, and Maya). I think the team is incredibly deep, but I also think they lack a bit of depth at the guard spots. When you consider he really probably wants Whalen, BIrd or Dee handling the rock, I think future Olympic teams will have another ball handler or 2 (when players like Augustus and McCaughtry "retire").

The 2nd half was obviously much more enjoyable than the 1st half. It's fun to see the team actually improving during the course of a game. One thing that did surprise me is to my untrained eyes, it seemed Griner and Catch contributed the least to the win. They each scored, but were largely invisible for the most part...
Awesome analysis: thanks so much. Do you think that the defensive play in these pre-Olympic games is any more physical than general international play? Because, most of our team already is used to that level of physicality.

Stewie's relatively phlegmatic personality really does help her in these situations. Stays away from the emotional highs and lows, and so doesn't feel the pressure of being a rookie.

Reaction Score
Bags, If you have a facebook account, just go to the USA Basketball facebook page. Last time there was no announcement or indication until a few minutes after the announced time when the livestream just started!

Reaction Score
Bags, If you have a facebook account, just go to the USA Basketball facebook page. Last time there was no announcement or indication until a few minutes after the announced time when the livestream just started!
Thanks a million!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG is in the doghouse, IMO, and I am guessing that her effort in practice may have had something to do with it. That is purely a guess but we all know that if you don't practice well for Geno that you don't play. We saw that with Stokes many times in her career, if I am not mistaken.

BG had a very nice game against the select team, she was not outplayed by either Tina or Syl. She went 4-4 from the field and scored 8 points (2 rebounds), Syl went 2-5 from the field and had 4 points (3 rebounds) and Tina went 4-8 from the field (4 rebounds) and finished with 8 points. BG got more minutes that Syl in game 1 despite not starting. The difference between the three was basically nothing.

To come back and get very little time in the second game tells me that something happened between game one and game two that Geno didn't like. I am pretty certain that Geno will not discuss this as I cannot imagine him wanting to embarrass BG. I am guessing that whatever his reason are will be kept between him and BG.

Should be interesting to see if she gets more minutes tonight against Canada. And it will be interesting to see if we see a move active Griner that pursues rebounds. Geno will not accept an athletic, 6-8 player getting two rebounds in 12 minutes of play.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Awesome analysis: thanks so much. Do you think that the defensive play in these pre-Olympic games is any more physical than general international play? Because, most of our team already is used to that level of physicality.

Stewie's relatively phlegmatic personality really does help her in these situations. Stays away from the emotional highs and lows, and so doesn't feel the pressure of being a rookie.
I can honestly say I've not seen enough international games to really offer a useful opinion. But I will reiterate that the defensive intensity (by both teams) was something I'm not sure I've even seen from most UCONN games. Perhaps it's because the Olympians are even better athletes, perhaps it's because more physicality is allowed in international hoops. I do think this team will continue to get better and better - there were times where they did not switch fast enough, or missed something as France moved the ball really well, and France found themselves with a wide open layup.

The 3rd quarter was a clinic in intense defense AND effective offense. And this is not a slouch French team. They made the quarters of the FIBA World Championships 2 years ago and gave team USA a pretty good game after a rough 1st quarter for France. Interestingly, USA won that game by 22 points, but had a very different team on the floor and Griner was the leading scorer that game with 18...

Reaction Score
For the sake of us old luddites, can someone explain in precise detail how we see that game on Facebook?

I wish I could help. I'm going to the game. I know it's on NBA tv

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

One thing that did surprise me is to my untrained eyes, it seemed Griner and Catch contributed the least to the win. They each scored, but were largely invisible for the most part...

Not sure if you noticed, but Griner was not put into the game until about the last two minutes of the first half and the last four minutes of the second half. Based on her play in the game against the select team, which was about equal to the performance of Syl and Tina, she was not kept out of the game because those two outplayed her. That is why I think that she was in Geno's doghouse due to something that happened in practice. I don't know Geno's style well enough to know if he would pull her aside and tell her what the issue was or if he waited for the game to give her very little time to send a message without having to say anything.

Tina and Syl looked incredible against France. The rotation definitely changed with EDD starting. Will she start again or was that for the one game in DE? And Stewart was the logical sub for her based on how he had EDD playing, which was more outside game than inside. That very well may be a lineup that we see again and if that is the case BG better bust her BUTT if she wants playing time.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure if you noticed, but Griner was not put into the game until about the last two minutes of the first half and the last four minutes of the second half. Based on her play in the game against the select team, which was about equal to the performance of Syl and Tina, she was not kept out of the game because those two outplayed her. That is why I think that she was in Geno's doghouse due to something that happened in practice. I don't know Geno's style well enough to know if he would pull her aside and tell her what the issue was or if he waited for the game to give her very little time to send a message without having to say anything.

Tina and Syl looked incredible against France. The rotation definitely changed with EDD starting. Will she start again or was that for the one game in DE? And Stewart was the logical sub for her based on how he had EDD playing, which was more outside game than inside. That very well may be a lineup that we see again and if that is the case BG better bust her BUTT if she wants playing time.
I'm sure she will. I love Griner metaphorically speaking. I remember the interview with her and Dee when they were overseas (China)... I'm sure she's experienced her share of loneliness and isolation due to her size, sexuality, and probably her own shyness. But it's exhibition games. If she did (or didn't) do something in practice, I'd be VERY surprised if Geno didn't communicate it to her.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
if you "LIKE" the page you will see info coming onto your timeline... the NBA page also shows the games, not sure if they show the womens games

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
TV doesnt make "announcements, you gotta turn to the channel and wait... correct

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Thank goodness for NBATV. It is so nice to have high quality audio and video. And Lisa Leslie offers insight that many players cannot, especially when it comes to the "bigs."

I don't expect a very close game tonight but I may be underestimating Canada.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thank goodness for NBATV. It is so nice to have high quality audio and video. And Lisa Leslie offers insight that many players cannot, especially when it comes to the "bigs."

I don't expect a very close game tonight but I may be underestimating Canada.
I totally enjoyed Leslie. Every time she said the name of the French player Yacabu (pronounced Yak-a-boo), she'd follow it up with "Booooo" or something like that. Clearly she was enjoying herself. And as you said, she's really knowledgeable and had great insights and additions to the play by play...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can honestly say I've not seen enough international games to really offer a useful opinion.

Damn, there was a guy who looked just like you sitting next to me for several games in Istanbul in 2014. :D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Damn, there was a guy who looked just like you sitting next to me for several games in Istanbul in 2014. :D
LOL but I don't recall the defense being as intense every second of every game, nor the game being that physical. Do you recall it being that way? I've been really surprised watching Team USA play defense - just so smothering, physical, and intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom